Proposal: WSH - MIN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Minnesota says no.

We already have 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 3rds. If we want to attain more, it should come from guys like Johansson and Bonino. The pick swap thing is just a weird add on.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Minnesota says no.

We already have 2 1sts, a 2nd and 2 3rds. If we want to attain more, it should come from guys like Johansson and Bonino. The pick swap thing is just a weird add on.

At least it's a real offer, not the Helm shit like last time.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Minnesota says no.

It would be kind of a nice draft to have a bunch of picks in the top-90, just because of the uncertainty involved.

Still, I like having a well-seasoned prospect to step in next year. Menell's done just about everything he can outside the NHL at this point.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It would be kind of a nice draft to have a bunch of picks in the top-90, just because of the uncertainty involved.

Still, I like having a well-seasoned prospect to step in next year. Menell's done just about everything he can outside the NHL at this point.

I think the value is fine, but yeah, having a 24 year old who has become a prolific point producer in both the KHL and AHL is more appealing at this point.
That said, if it was a first I would do it.

Reactions: Bazeek

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I think the value is fine, but yeah, having a 24 year old who has become a prolific point producer in both the KHL and AHL is more appealing at this point.

I think we need to know what happens with Dumba/Soucy before we do anything with Menell. I have a feeling that he's going to be a good NHL player. Same kind of "checking all the boxes" thing that Kahkonen was doing.

Reactions: MNRube and fgobuzz

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL

Wouldn't a 1st (even if it's WSH one) be an overpayment given lack of NHL track record?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Minnesota says no.

I’d probably do it. Menell probably becomes a UFA soon because he won’t have enough NHL experience, similar to Soucy this year.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I’d probably do it. Menell probably becomes a UFA soon because he won’t have enough NHL experience, similar to Soucy this year.

He should have one more season before he would qualify, and if he plays in 75 games next season, he would no longer qualify for G6 free agency. I'm thinking that Guerin will probably try to lock him into a 2-3 year contract this summer to avoid the situation altogether, but even if it's a 1 year contract, assuming a full (and healthy) season, I'd have to think Menell gets in 75 games.

hidek91

Jan 13, 2014
Warsaw, PL
No from WSH. Why in hell should we give a 2nd for a guy who hasn't played in NHL? Why Washington? We are getting every player we want from the FA market. We are not a rebuild team. We are a major playoff contender team. Give us an upgrade or take some Cap dump if you wish make a trade with us. We do not need prospects.

Menell would bring some fresh blood, he's a quite young defenseman.

pfunk

Jul 1, 2019
Why in hell should we give a 2nd for a guy who hasn't played in NHL?

Because the likelihood that a low second round pick ends up on the trajectory that Mennell is already on isn’t very good?

He has had great seasons the past two years, first in the AHL and then ended up at or very near the top of the points leaderboard for KHL defensemen. But if you wanna fault him cuz he hasn’t played for the Wild, who have one of the best defensive lineups in the league, to keep a pick low in the second round you go for it.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Menell has led both the AHL and the KHL in PPG for Dmen who have played a full season. Doesn't mean that he will be a good NHL'er, but he has done just about everything you can as a prospect to earn a shot.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
I was like yea sure why not for Caps because we could use more of the ”ready to step up” than a ”maybe in 4 years if everything goes well”, but then i noticed its a D coming back.

Dont think we have any use for 24y D ”prospects”. Have 4 good NHL RDs signed for next year, 2 LDs and Siege as an RFA and also Fehervary+Alexeyeev trying to find a place with everyone hoping Chara stays for another year. We are so deep on NHL calibre dmen currently that it would almost be a problem if Seattle doesnt take a dman on ED.

And as for the Wild, cant see the why. They already have bunch of picks stored and could propably have a spot for the guy, atleast closer to it than Caps.

So, id be more into trading 2nd and other stuff (Lucas Johansen) for same kind of offensive talent as Menell is.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
While the Caps don't have a RD prospect to speak of in their system they also don't have room for one on their roster. Maybe if they lose Schultz to Seattle there would be room but even then they're fairly high on TVR. As said, if they move the second rounder it's much more likely for immediate help (say packaged with Panik for a rental forward).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad