Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Lars Eller signs extenstion (5 years, $3.5M AAV)

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The $ is fair, 3,5 isnt what it used to be because the cap going up. 5 years is a long time though...

He chose to stay in D.C. without a raise, he is having a great season (will end up being his best), he is a very important shutdown guy that every team needs, he will be 33 when this deal expires.

Great job by the Caps GM to lock this player up.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
That's brutal. It's mind blowing that GMs still don't understand that signing 29 year old bottom 6 players to long term contracts is a terrible idea.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's brutal. It's mind blowing that GMs still don't understand that signing 29 year old bottom 6 players to long term contracts is a terrible idea.

*COUGH* Helm. *COUGH* Abdelkader. *COUGH* Ericsson. *COUGH* Nielsen.

Think I've got bronchitis...

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Yeah, immediate reaction was yikes on the term but love the cap hit. But I can't imagine he wouldn't have gotten the same deal, or even more $$$ and same term as a UFA. I think it'll be fine. He'll be 29 when his contract kicks in, so contract will take him to 33. Could be worse.

Last edited:

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I would argue that defensive guys like Eller decline much slower.

He’ll probably be right up and around 40 points this year as well.

That's just my opinion. Same reason I'm against re-signing Riley Nash to a multi-year deal, despite his success. There's nowhere to go. When a great 3rd liner begins to slow down (whether it be physically, offensively, defensively), he's a 4th liner or worse. Sometimes it's as simple as getting passed by others from within the organization. 5 years is a long time to commit to a player who's in your bottom-6 at this stage in his career is all I'm saying. Even if he's at the upper tier of that part of your lineup.

He's been pretty consistent over his career in terms of scoring. He averages 29.7/per 82 for his career. I'm not sure it's reasonable to expect more in his 29-33 year old seasons.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Not a great contract but seems fair, maybe one year too much in term. I liked this guy a lot with the Habs but he was also kinda frustrating to watch, just zero offensive instincts.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Average salary is great, that term though. It’s fitable but it’s probably a year to long. But it’s what you have to do now majority of the time to get reasonable cap hits, give an extra year or two.

Jan 21, 2018
He chose to stay in D.C. without a raise, he is having a great season (will end up being his best), he is a very important shutdown guy that every team needs, he will be 33 when this deal expires.

Great job by the Caps GM to lock this player up.

He chose to stay in D.C. because he got 3.5M for 5 YEARS.

Just because he is having his best season doesn't mean it's a great season. Just shows how bad his other seasons were.

He is a good shutdown guy that every team needs, but if you want to win you aren't paying a 30pt player 3.5M for 5 YEARS.

That's the type of role you get a responsible vet to come in a play, one that is likely making pennies compared to Eller.

I think 3.5M for 2-3 tops would have been more than fair. He's going to get waived before the end of the contract.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
I think Eller did a Järnkrok, went with so much term he could instead of making highest salary,

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Eller is a possession monster, he's great defensively, and is their best penalty killer along with Wilson. Even when he's not putting up points he brings a lot of value.

I really don't see how a lot of Montreal fans disliked him so much. In Washington, he's been a guy who can drive the 3rd line regardless of linemates.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
As a Caps fan, I have no issues with this contract. The cap is currently what, 75M? This contract is peanuts for a player of Ellers calibre.

He's been really really good this year, I think he deserves this.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I just feel like Eller's skillset could be replaced 90% by a guy making half that.

AAV seems fine, term is garbage. Not a fan of this contract.

This is exactly what I was going to say. I'm not here just to poop on Washington. A few of their fans can tell you I have defended them a lot in the past. This one is just... strange. That player is replaceable so at best give a small term contract. If another team wants to spend 3.5, let them.

Or better yet - just keep Mojo for 1m more and less term and you control your salary issues.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Eller is a possession monster, he's great defensively, and is their best penalty killer along with Wilson. Even when he's not putting up points he brings a lot of value.

I really don't see how a lot of Montreal fans disliked him so much. In Washington, he's been a guy who can drive the 3rd line regardless of linemates.

They didn't like him because he was a threat to sir David Desharnais

Reactions: Peanut

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce