Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Justin Schultz signs with the Capitals (2 years, $4M AAV)

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
As a Pens fan it is kind of refreshing to see another fanbase have to rationalize a signing immediately by looking at the buyout.
Ha! They needed the extra vet as insurance to provide some cover for the kids. Now, Fehevary and soon Alexeev will need to have strong early campaigns. Both seem to be good prospects, but Alexeev doesn't project to make the team full time until the 2021-22 season. This error means that they may need to bank on Fehervary putting together a very good campaign at 21 years old, Jensen rebounding strong... too many maybes.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So what you're saying is he isn't worth the 4 mil a year lol

No idea where you could have gotten that thought :laugh:

Yeah, I think he would have been a fine gamble at $1.5 million on a 1 year deal, but this is way too much. Schultz in the last 2 years has 5 goals and 27 points in 75 games with horrid analytics. What makes it worse is that he was actually on a >40 point pace in 18-19 too, which really shows how unproductive he was in 2019-2020.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
So what's their defence like?

Carlson, Dillon, Kempny, Jensen, Schultz and..?

Damn, that D core feels so-so from a defensive standpoint.

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Murphy, Gonchar, Brent Johnson, etc,

Weird, it’s almost like this is a league where players end up on multiple teams.

Weren't Murphy and Gonchar a good 14 years apart? And wasn't Larry Murphy pick up in a trade from the North Stars? Not Fat Teddy having a massive fetish from picking up ever ex Pen in the early 00s after those players kicked the piss out of the Caps for years? Not exactly the same thing, and Wasn't Gonchar a free agent signing from Boston to Pittsburgh after the Caps traded him? Thanks for playing you win no prize, don't come back and try again.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I would have only signed Schultz if my team had nobody to quarterback the PP, and even then I wouldn't go after him unless I had the depth to ensure he would never have to rise above the bottom pair.

After those requirements were met, I would offer him $2m/year max.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
So what's their defence like?

Carlson, Dillon, Kempny, Jensen, Schultz and..?

Damn, that D core feels so-so from a defensive standpoint.
Post #56

They are in the process of promoting three kids in Siegenthaler, Fehervary and Alexeev, and are about halfway through that. Siegenthaler is now a sophomore, Fehervary had his cup of coffee and will be a full-time regular this coming season, and Alexeev projects to make the team the next season. So they are in transition.

They could have done a hell of a lot better job of finding a veteran to tide them over than Schultz. If he continues to be as poor as he's been in the last couple of years, it's going to require another trade to staunch the bleeding, which is certainly possible at the 20-game mark or so, but a move that will cost assets and is just so unnecessary if you did it right in free agency. This is the sort of move that looks bad from day one.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Weren't Murphy and Gonchar a good 14 years apart? And wasn't Larry Murphy pick up in a trade from the North Stars? Not Fat Teddy having a massive fetish from picking up ever ex Pen in the early 00s after those players kicked the piss out of the Caps for years? Not exactly the same thing, and Wasn't Gonchar a free agent signing from Boston to Pittsburgh after the Caps traded him? Thanks for playing you win no prize, don't come back and try again.

Rico Fata, Kris Beech and Kip Miller all played on different teams after the Penguins before joining the Capitals.

You should probably not criticize someone else’s examples when you used a similar argument. :)

The Great Mighty Poo

Thank You 59.
Feb 21, 2020
Scatbox
Rico Fata, Kris Beech and Kip Miller all played on different teams after the Penguins before joining the Capitals.

You should probably not criticize someone else’s examples when you used a similar argument. :)

....You are aware the only reason the Caps got Kip Miller was to play with Jagr because he played with him in Pittsburgh the Caps own exact words you should take you're own advice brah.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Post #56

They are in the process of promoting three kids in Siegenthaler, Fehervary and Alexeev, and are about halfway through that. Siegenthaler is now a sophomore, Fehervary had his cup of coffee and will be a full-time regular this coming season, and Alexeev projects to make the team the next season. So they are in transition.

They could have done a hell of a lot better job of finding a veteran to tide them over than Schultz. If he continues to be as poor as he's been in the last couple of years, it's going to require another trade to staunch the bleeding, which is certainly possible at the 20-game mark or so, but a move that will cost assets and is just so unnecessary if you did it right in free agency. This is the sort of move that looks bad from day one.
Nice, well-informed post! I'd like it but i got a bs warning for calling a newsreporter "m*lf", never change mods <3.

Reactions: Drake1588

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad