Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Zac Funk signs ELC with the Capitals (3 years, $905k AAV; begins 2024-25)

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
aaf.jpg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What is the CBA provision that allows the signing of an overage player without their ELC coming into effect until next season?

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
What's up with these players with cool names like McCue and Zac Funk all of a sudden?

Is there a McLovin waiting to be signed somewhere in the next few hours?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What is the CBA provision that allows the signing of an overage player without their ELC coming into effect until next season?
I believe as of March 1st, teams can sign undrafted players to contracts starting in the following season.

What's up with these players with cool names like McCue and Zac Funk all of a sudden?

Is there a McLovin waiting to be signed somewhere in the next few hours?
Foegele plays for Edmonton.

Reactions: uncleben

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I believe as of March 1st, teams can sign undrafted players to contracts starting in the following season.
Thanks. I guess the Capitals won the Funk Bidding War. He is the best Undrafted CHL Overager in this year. 3rd in points and 1st in goals (ten goal margin) in the WHL.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

Looks to me like Funk, being considered to be 21 years old for this year's purposes, is eligible for the draft-related UFA status

[10.1] (d) Draft-Related Unrestricted Free Agents.
(i) Any Player not eligible for claim in any future Entry Draft pursuant to this Agreement and not on a Club's Reserve List shall be an Unrestricted Free
Agent. Further, any Player eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, but who was unclaimed, shall be an Unrestricted Free Agent subject to the
provisions of Section 8.9(b).

courtesy of not being draft-eligible in 2024 Entry Draft courtesy of (a)(iv) here:

8.4 Eligibility for Claim.
(a) All Players age 18 or older are eligible for claim in the Entry Draft, except:
(i) a Player on the Reserve List of a Club, other than as a try-out;
(ii) a Player who has been claimed in two prior Entry Drafts;
(iii) a Player who previously played in the League and became a Free Agent
pursuant to this Agreement;
(iv) a Player age 21 or older who: (A) has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and (B) played hockey for at least one season in North
America when he was age 18, 19, or 20 and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d); and
(v) a Player age 22 or older who has not been selected in a previous Entry Draft and shall be eligible to enter the League as an Unrestricted Free Agent pursuant to Article 10.1(d).

But apparently he's not eligible to play until 2024-25 due to (a) here; he was eligible to be claimed in 2023 Entry Draft:

8.9 Eligibility for Play in the League. No Player shall be eligible for play in the League unless he:
(a) had been claimed in the last Entry Draft, or was ineligible for claim under Section 8.4; or

(b) had been eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft, but was unclaimed, and:

(i) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was age 20 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the next NHL Season.​
(ii) had played hockey in North America the prior season and was under age 20 at the time of the last Entry Draft, and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and commencement of the Major Juniors season (except that if such Player had signed an NHL try-out form, which was signed and registered with the League during the aforesaid time period, then the deadline for signing and registering with the League an SPC with such try-out Club shall be the commencement of the NHL Season).​
(iii) had played hockey outside of North America in the prior season and was age 22 or older at the time of the last Entry Draft and signed an SPC which was signed and registered with the League between the conclusion of the Entry Draft and the commencement of the next NHL Season.​
(iv) The words "eligible for claim in the last Entry Draft" in subparagraph (b) above mean "eligible for claim in all rounds of the last Entry Draft." The words "the prior season" in subparagraph​

Now, let the Funk commence! (from 2024-25 onwards)

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Looks to me like Funk, being considered to be 21 years old for this year's purposes, is eligible for the draft-related UFA status

courtesy of not being draft-eligible in 2024 Entry Draft courtesy of (a)(iv) here:

But apparently he's not eligible to play until 2024-25 due to (a) here; he was eligible to be claimed in 2023 Entry Draft:

Now, let the Funk commence! (from 2024-25 onwards)
Very helpful, thanks!

Reactions: Lempo

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Seen him play in PG a handful of games. He has been good in all of them. Plays a pretty physical game that I have noticed. Good shot, works hard. Good signing, and good for him
Agreed. He was a guy I wanted to Flames to take a shot on. I watched him this season. He's come a LONNGGG way from where he was when he played with the Hitmen. Has bottom 6 NHLer written all over him.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad