Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Sonny Milano signs extension with the Capitals (3 years, $1.9M AAV)

Serial_Derecho

Apr 11, 2006
Charles Town, WV
So, my point stands. Thank you!
I get your point, but its very flawed. For the very brief 2-week stint where the Caps were nearly completely healthy in the forward ranks, they had 14- NHL forwards. They briefly rotated through giving some players a night off. Milano got one, Strome got one, Mantha got 3 or 4 if I remember correctly. Even Ovechkin sat out a game, although they played it as a maintenance day with a lower body issue. The point is, they can only dress 12 forwards... and they had 14. Someone has to sit.

Both Strome and Milano have been a huge part of keeping the Caps afloat with all the injuries they have suffered, and both are certainly considered full time players.

I am a bit surprised Milano got three years, but cant say Im mad about it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Nice deal.

I can't think of a current player where there is a bigger gap between his analytics and the popular conception of him. It's like a $5m player in one vision and league-minimum in the other.

He does think the game differently and does some bone-headed plays that stand out, and I think that's where the bad rep comes from.

The Ducks dumped him and a lot of Ducks fans said it was because of bad defense, but it never showed up in the numbers. And even Torts back in the day said that Milano's defensive game was fine, it was his one-man approach to offense (as opposed to cycling with teammates) that drove Torts nuts.

But then you've also got times like his Flames tryout where he didn't make one good play in several games, where it's hard to blame the team for passing on him. Sonny will have some weeks where his brain is just not in it. Some clubs will tolerate the bad with the good, some clubs do not tolerate the disappearing act.

Reactions: MardyBum

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
I know they weren't traded for each other but Caps basically get Sonny Milano and Ducks get Brett Leason? I don't know what message Maclellan is sending to his young forward prospects but it's probably not good news for McMichael, Lapierre and Protas that he's signing guys like Milano and Strome to 3 and 5 year contracts. That gives them 9 forwards under contract for next season but only 1 defenseman (Carlson).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad