Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Sonny Milano signs extension with the Capitals (3 years, $1.9M AAV)

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Good for Milano. Happy for him. Liked his time in Anaheim, Verbeek didn’t see Him part of the future which was unfortunate, but glad he was able to find a home with Washington.

That Zegras alley oop doesn’t make the news if he doesn’t score there, will forever be part of it in Ducks history.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Solid. He was pretty good in Anaheim and he’s been pretty good in Washington. He’s got some skill. And for a guy who has a rep as some sort of one-trick offensive player his on ice metrics even defensively are fine.

You can, and plenty of teams will, do a lot worse for $1.9 over three for somebody like Milano by next fall. Kinda glad he’s found a “place”. He was a fabulous junior player with the USNTDP and l like stories where hotshot prospects gradually learn what it takes to be a pro after some tough times that test their work ethic and humility.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I know a lot of people have missed it, but the Caps really leaned on both of Milano and Strome while they struggled with veteran injuries this season. Those guys earned their deals.

The Caps have some UFAs they will probably let go without making an offer.

Eller and Marcus Johansson almost certianly will be UFAs. Sheary might walk if he's looking for a good bump in salary (I think it's 50/50). He's fine at his current salary, but I think he tries his luck in free agency.

I think they try and sign Hathaway.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I know a lot of people have missed it, but the Caps really leaned on both of Milano and Strome while they struggled with veteran injuries this season. Those guys earned their deals.

The Caps have some UFAs they will probably let go without making an offer.

Eller and Marcus Johansson almost certianly will be UFAs. Sheary might walk if he's looking for a good bump in salary (I think it's 50/50). He's fine at his current salary, but I think he tries his luck in free agency.

I think they try and sign Hathaway.
You see Hathaway and Sheary but not Marge?

Eller is done, agreed 100%. I wouldn’t be shocked at a Marge signing IF it was in the 2m and under range.

However, he’s earning more than that this year.

I can’t see Hathaway getting 2m a year as a 4th liner. Beck Malenstyn may be able to take his place for a wee bit less than 2m ish.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011

Eller is done, agreed 100%. I wouldn’t be shocked at a Marge signing IF it was in the 2m and under range.

I can’t see Hathaway getting 2m a year as a 4th liner. Beck Malenstyn may be able to take his place for a wee bit less than 2m ish.
MoJo is really out playing what likely is his true self at this point, and he creates a bit of a log jam in terms of young talent.

I agree with Drake, I can see Eller, MoJo, and Irwin gone.

Maybe see deals with Hath, Sheary, NAK, Brown and TvR.

Definitely see them working something out with Orlov, Gustfsson, and Jensen.

GMBM rewards guys he dumpster dives for and gets returns from.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Yeah, the HC went through a period there where he was scratching guys somewhat at random for a game to get a spark, or get other guys ice. Sure, you can apply that logic if you want, but it reached a third of the forwards. It's just light trolling, I guess, but they didn't restrict scratches to their 13th and 14th best forwards this year. It's not a sign these two struggled.

Plus, the team signed stopgap guys early and then as they got healthier, there was a genuine glut of players at forward.

A guy whose scratches really mean something would be Mantha, for example, but I don't think so where these two are concerned. It wasn't really a performance-based call.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Yeah, the HC went through a period there where he was scratching guys somewhat at random for a game to get a spark, or get other guys ice. Sure, you can apply that logic if you want, but it reached a third of the forwards. It's just light trolling, I guess, but they didn't restrict scratches to their 13th and 14th best forwards this year. It's not a sign these two struggled.

Plus, the team signed stopgap guys early and then as they got healthier, there was a genuine glut of players at forward.

A guy whose scratches really mean something would be Mantha, for example, but I don't think so where these two are concerned. It wasn't really a performance-based call.
Hard to know. The coach doesn't have a clue about players ability. That is why a mediocre plyer like Protas got ice time.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Nice to see him finally land more than a "show me" deal. So many high picks never recover from multiple setbacks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
This guy is not worth that kind of term.
With offensive output like this (0.63 PPG over the last 2 seasons) you are looking at 4-5 mil player usually. Giving him term now is the only way to get ahead in this league, especially for a veteran team with a bunch of loaded contracts like the Capitals.

By "he is not worth that kind of term" you are basically saying "I accept Caps to struggle to make the PO over the next 3 years and they shouldn't do anything about it".

Reactions: third man in

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Hard to know. The coach doesn't have a clue about players ability. That is why a mediocre plyer like Protas got ice time.
Lol Protas is not mediocre, he’s still young and raw, but he’s a future top 6 power forward. If you look at power forwards in the modern game very few are statistically proficient early on, in fact that frequently do what Protas is doing which is okay wildly inconsistent because they’re unsure what their game looks like at the NHL level.

I can assure you Peter Laviolette understands how to assess talent, it’s more about finding guys he wants in his system. Both Milano/Strome scratches never seemed related to talent, in fact he literally said Strome had been great for us after he scratched him, he clearly was trying line formations out and needed to shelve some guys while he tinkered with where to place returning guys/Mantha.

Reactions: Lou Sassole

DollardStLaurent

May 15, 2014

Who's Marge?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad