Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] F Dylan Strome signs extension with the Capitals (5 years, $5M AAV)

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Strome is the latest iteration of a long lineage of men who leave you expecting more. He is a warrior in the battle for mediocracy, Sun Tzu says “Strome at 2C, lose battle before it begins”.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Way too inconsistent of a player for that term. I'd be shocked if this doesn't look bad in 2 years.
So uhh, outside of a bad 2020 on a truly awful team where's the inconsistency...?
1675446773861.png

Reactions: FlyguyOX and um

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
dudes on pace for 17 goals for 5 mil, I worry what his point totals will look like as age slowly creeps up on ovechkin and he slows down

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
dudes on pace for 17 goals for 5 mil, I worry what his point totals will look like as age slowly creeps up on ovechkin and he slows down
He’s a playmaker - I understand your point but we can play that game of shading any center to look bad based off their goal totals with dozens of guys. His pace this year isn’t really any different than it has been pre-Caps/Ovie so this correlation is weak.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Not a bad signing. At least it's during what is likely his most productive years.

Hockeylife2018

Nov 21, 2011
He’s a playmaker - I understand your point but we can play that game of shading any center to look bad based off their goal totals with dozens of guys. His pace this year isn’t really any different than it has been pre-Caps/Ovie so this correlation is weak.
my point was hes having a somewhat "down" year already playing on the top line with ovechkin, if hes not putting the puck in the back of the net, and ovechkin slows down...where will we be in 2-3 years?

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
my point was hes having a somewhat "down" year already playing on the top line with ovechkin, if hes not putting the puck in the back of the net, and ovechkin slows down...where will we be in 2-3 years?
Anyone who plays with Ovi is going to see their Goals go down to an extent. He's a black hole of "defer the puck" when they're on his line. Of course you aren't going to have the same goal totals when playing with the greatest goal scorer of all time, you're going to look to get him the puck.

Good breakdown, so even if something bad happens he'll "cost" less then his cap hit in the middle of the blow up period of the Caps.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
$5 million isn’t really that much with a $82.5 salary cap and rising.

Still think too many people view these deals on where the cap was five years ago. If anything this is probably an underpayment for a perfectly fine 2nd line center.

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary is the caps best line too.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Strome has shown skills I barely thought he had this year. As a Capital-hater, I still like the contract and would not have done it even as a stop gap. The center market really is poor when Dylan Strome and Pavel Zacha get five million and 4.95.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
This seems like a very fair deal and is the literal term and AAV I expected. Good work by Caps and Strome on a good match.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
$5 million isn’t really that much with a $82.5 salary cap and rising.

Still think too many people view these deals on where the cap was five years ago. If anything this is probably an underpayment for a perfectly fine 2nd line center.

Ovechkin-Strome-Sheary is the caps best line too.
Agree here. That's middle six center money and perhaps even 3C for the duration as long as the cap rises.

buffa dud

Dec 31, 2021
Every GM should sign their superstars, and trade the rest, because they're literally all interchangeable.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
In my head Strome has had a very up and down career but actually looking at his DB, he's only had one down year since he became a NHL regular.

5M for 50 points is about right especially if he's playing well defensively.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
It's funny to see the Chicago fans come in. I have no idea why they'd have let a player like Strome just walk for free. Been just the kind of player the Capitals needed this year. Also seems to have some good chemistry with Ovechkin, but has done plenty well enough alone.

View attachment 645344
Same reason why they traded away Dach (who was only 21) and Debrincat. For a chance to get Bedard. I hope the hockey Gods don't allow them to win the lottery.

Reactions: Thechozen1

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Stromediocre.

Wait, I thought this was his brother’d thread. Did they sign the same deal?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
As a Yotes fan who desperately wanted Strome to work out for us, I'm very happy for the kid and glad he finally has found a team that is utilizing his skill set correctly. It seems like his game has matured too. I thought it was a great high floor/high ceiling pick up for the Caps this offseason and it looks like he has impressed.

Meh at best.

The reality is if Dylan Strome is one of your top 2 centers your team kinda sucks. He does not carry the puck or drive play as a center, not a good faceoff man, shelered from playing any kind of defensive role.

He's a stopgap at best really.

Good for him for putting up some points and getting this money though.

Yeah but when Ovechkin is your top LW it changes the dynamic of the team. Strome seems like an awesome fit for setting up Ovi. He's played like a Backstrom-lite and let's the Caps spread the talent out a bit more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad