Claimed off Waivers: [WSH] Dennis Cholowski claimed off waivers by the Capitals from the Kraken

Apr 9, 2009
USA
So Cholowski was the best Seattle could pick from Detroit and then they lose him for nothing?

Cholowski
Bayreuther
Quennville

Those three were all wasted picks. Also, the Kraken traded Vanacek back to WSH for a 2nd round pick. WSH traded a player the Kraken could have drafted (Dillon) for two 2nds.

Hindsight is 20/20 for the Vanacek/Dillon thing (not really, shows a lack of homework - but we'll say it is). The others are literally wasted picks.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Outside of that first 9 or so games Cholo had in the NHL, he’s done nothing but regress and his tools aren’t even all that great. Smith was an incredible skater, and while he’d make some really stupid plays in the d zone, he was handcuffed by a stubborn coach who took a kid who showed he could move the puck and generate chances in the offensive zone and tried to turn him into a shut down stay at home dman. Cholo was given every opportunity to shine in the role his skill set compliments, Smith wasn’t.
ok

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
He was part of the beginning of that change in Detroit where they went away from marinating their prospects in the A and instead brought them up early.
IMO he needed more time in AHL but whatever. hope it works out in washington so that the draft doesnt look like a complete shitshow

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Outside of that first 9 or so games Cholo had in the NHL, he’s done nothing but regress and his tools aren’t even all that great. Smith was an incredible skater, and while he’d make some really stupid plays in the d zone, he was handcuffed by a stubborn coach who took a kid who showed he could move the puck and generate chances in the offensive zone and tried to turn him into a shut down stay at home dman. Cholo was given every opportunity to shine in the role his skill set compliments, Smith wasn’t.

Cholo wasn't given every opportunity to succeed. Every single time he made a mistake, Blashill would sit him for 5-10 minutes, which wrecked his confidence. Remember how he started his first 20 games or so, with some offensive flair and confidence and then it went away, most of that is on Blashill destroying his confidence and getting him to play a game that wasn't his game. When you have an offensive d man, you need to give some leash, to which Blash never gives. He was never going to be a defensive guy and ever since his start, his offensive game went downhill, because it was coach out of him.

Similar to how Babcock treated both Smith and Kindl.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I hope it works out for him in Washington. Some have alluded to it, but it isn't really a talent deal. For me his biggest problem was being assertive. He lost all confidence and you can sometimes see him processing the game too slowly. Teammates seem to like him, he is a quiet guy that tries his best. I would like to see him find a home. I was very high on him at one point, but he just hasn't put it together to date and I won't lie it seems unlikely he will. But I wish him well, I hope he finds a role in Washington and his game takes off. This is his last chance probably to reset things with a new organization.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
Two former Red Wings defensemen on the Caps team now. o_O

EDIT: Trading the Datsyuk's contract really did hurt Detroit. Could of had Chychrun instead of Hronek & Cholowski.... sigh

Hroneks a stud. I don't see Chychrun as some crazy upgrade over him personally...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Cholowski
Bayreuther
Quennville

Those three were all wasted picks. Also, the Kraken traded Vanacek back to WSH for a 2nd round pick. WSH traded a player the Kraken could have drafted (Dillon) for two 2nds.

Hindsight is 20/20 for the Vanacek/Dillon thing (not really, shows a lack of homework - but we'll say it is). The others are literally wasted picks.

Those three teams had the worst options to pick from, so if you're going to miss at least they did where the miss doesn't hurt too much. You can also say they were able to make two picks from Tampa since they got Barre-Boulet off waivers.

I don't think Francis knew Winnipeg was willing to pay two 2nd's for Dillon. I also don't think Francis knew he could sign Grubauer which changed his goalie outlook as well.

Reactions: Irie

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Cholowski is slotting in as their No. 8, as of today's practice, set to ride the pine with Matt Irwin as healthy scratches. It's better than putting prospects into those roles, as the kids need a regular shift in the minors if they aren't going to crack the top six.

Nicklas Backstrom is on LTIR for the first 10 games at minimum, creating lots of unexpected cap room for a full 23-man roster. When he returns, they'll shuffle the roster around again and perhaps Cholowski shakes loose once more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad