Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] D Trevor van Riemsdyk signs extension with the Capitals (3 years, $3M AAV)

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
It’s a good deal, he’s top 4 on many teams but he’s stuck behind Carlson and Jensen on the Caps.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I didn’t like it at first but he’s 7th in the league in blocked shots this year, 37th last year, and his contract looks reasonable compared to everyone I looked at ahead of him over 25

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Having three defenseman on a rookie contract next season, lets us overpay a little bit

Seeing we didn’t sell him at the deadline our general manager must like him and no one says we can’t trade him next deadline

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Dude is playing 19 mins a game not exactly playing third pairing minutes. In the last five he has played over 22 mins 4 times. He has also put up pretty good results this season. Calling him a number 5 is a little disingenuous.
He's playing 19 minutes on a not good team, because they just traded a top 4 guy and really don't have anyone else.

You don't pay someone for 3 future years based on a light roster for 2 mos. That said, 3m isn't a huge overpay... just a bit of one.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I didn’t like it at first but he’s 7th in the league in blocked shots this year, 37th last year, and his contract looks reasonable compared to everyone I looked at ahead of him over 25
I wouldn't necessarily look at that as evidence of effectiveness.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
TVR has been good at shot suppression during his career mostly as a bottom pairing defender and has even chipped in with points this season, even though that’s not apart of his repertoire as a defensive defenseman.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Wouldn't pay him that but good for him.
$3M for a Second Pairing DMan? (So by extension Top 4D)? And you WOULDN’T pay him that?

You’re not very good at this.

TVR is an excellent 4/5 and on the current iteration of the Caps he’s probably a clear 4 at worst. $3M for a guy likely to play in your Top 4 is pretty reasonable and obviously Wsh is happy with him.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Last edited:

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If you've regularly watched him during his time with the Caps, you know what he can do and you know that this is a reasonable deal. It's not a sweetheart deal, but it's what he's worth.

If you think he's being overpaid with this extension, you haven't been watching him during his time with the Caps.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
$3M for a Second Pairing DMan? (So by extension Top 4D)? And you WOULDN’T pay him that?

You’re not very good at this.

TVR is an excellent 4/5 and on the current iteration of the Caps he’s probably a clear 4 at worst. $3M for a guy likely to play in your Top 4 is pretty reasonable and obviously Wsh is happy with him.

Omg outrage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad