Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] D Martin Fehervary re-signs with the Capitals (3 years, $2.675M AAV)

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Caps can currently carry 22 if Pacioretty doesn’t count and 20 when he’s healthy

Reactions: AZ Caps Fan

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Really good cap hit and they even get him locked up for three years. Could be a huge steal, if he continues to improve. He should fire his agent.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Caps fans just curious...

Since there have been rumors about caps looking for trading partners for kuznetsov (and i forget who the other player was/is).

Are the caps looking to compete this season for the playoffs? or want to re-tool a bit while recuperating some assets and helping Ovi keep scoring goals

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004

Since there have been rumors about caps looking for trading partners for kuznetsov (and i forget who the other player was/is).

Are the caps looking to compete this season for the playoffs? or want to re-tool a bit while recuperating some assets and helping Ovi keep scoring goals
In a perfect world compete for the playoffs this year, maybe Leonard or Miro can contribute top 6 minutes next year and they can contend.

Reactions: PromisedLand

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

They’re trying to retool on the fly. They promised Ovechkin they wouldn’t tear it down to the studs but they’re kind of stuck with the money given to Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Mantha, and Oshie. GMBM said he wants new players in the top six and Mantha and Kuznetsov are the two guys they want to move out.

I think they’ll be in purgatory for the next two years unless they can get out of some of those contracts. Backstrom LTIRetiring would help.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

They claim to be trying to compete, but they aren't doing much of anything to actually compete. Essentially it seems like they're just afraid to sell off because they don't want to anger Ovechkin

Reactions: PromisedLand

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
They claim to be trying to compete, but they aren't doing much of anything to actually compete. Essentially it seems like they're just afraid to sell off because they don't want to anger Ovechkin
This is just patently and abjectly false. Have you seen the market right now? There are two obvious features that stand out; veterans with term and $$ are outlandishly expensive to move, so far in Free Agency mostly mediocre players have signed and they’ve largely been overpaid.

Given these two considerations I’m frankly completely satisfied that the Capitals haven’t jumped into either market. They could potentially trade Mantha or Kuznetsov to “actually compete.” It’s likely they’d lose those trades in a significant way. They could have signed some FAs and overpaid, I’m glad they didn’t. There are some trade targets out there (ex. DeBrincat) but if trading teams are asking for future 1sts I’d prefer the Caps stay far, far away.

The Caps have a veteran team and can still compete and win games. Caps fans have been imploring the team to play the young players they’ve drafted. They brought in Spencer Carbery to do just that. I’d rather the team and management take a measured Wait-And-See approach rather than making brash moves in trades or FA when the market is pretty clearly stacked against you. The Caps don’t have a ton of tradeable value assets, best to just let the ones the do have marinate and see what the rest of the roster can do in a season where perhaps most of the team can be healthy.

Depends on if you view him as a 2nd pairing or a 3rd pairing D
He’s clearly a 2nd Pairing DMan, even allowing the theory he’s a 5-6D is in stark contrast to his career-to-date and is particularly poorly informed. The key is getting coaching to play him that way and partner him with someone to take advantage of his strengths and not put laser focus on his weaknesses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad