Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Caps Sign Hendrix Lapierre to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

Fallschirmyager

Jun 25, 2009
The Caps have a knack for late first round picks. Particularly players that are dropping. Marcus Johansson and Filip Forsberg were projected much higher and fell because of injury. I cant remember the reason Kuznetsov dropped, but that's 3 pretty good players that fall into that Lapierre catagory

I seem to recall there being a concern at the time whether the Russian players come across the pond due to the attempt in the KHL to pay higher salaries. This causing teams to pass but most didn't have the Ovy factor to rely on. That's a lot of beer ago so maybe not exactly accurate.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I seem to recall there being a concern at the time whether the Russian players come across the pond due to the attempt in the KHL to pay higher salaries. This causing teams to pass but most didn't have the Ovy factor to rely on. That's a lot of beer ago so maybe not exactly accurate.

I remember it being something about whether he would come over or not. As it turned out, he didnt come right away and made people nervous. He might have given away a season or two. We know now that Kuzy isnt typical

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This guy could be the steal of the draft. Wanted the Flames to pick him, but what we did at the draft to gain 2 extra 3rds was fine with me.

back to Lapierre, he’s a top 10 shoe in draft pick if not for the injuries. Backstrom isn’t getting any younger so Lapierre (and McMichael) will be relied upon to be the new center generation for the Caps to build around.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
This seems pretty fast (?!) for an ELC. Maybe I’m mistaken and it’s actually pretty standard but I don’t recall the Caps signing guys to ELCs this close to the draft. Regardless, it seems like the franchise thinks Lapierre is a good player and worth the risk and they seem thrilled to have been able to get him. He seems dynamic, I’d like to see him thrive just to damn the naysayers. Without any concerns most had him easily a Top 10 pick, a chance I think the Caps were wise to take.

Alexeyev was signed in September post-draft. McMichael was signed in July post-draft.

Before that, most of the 1st round picks were from Europe and those usually don't sign before coming to NA.

Reactions: StephenPeat

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Alexeyev was signed in September post-draft. McMichael was signed in July post-draft.

Before that, most of the 1st round picks were from Europe and those usually don't sign before coming to NA.
:thumbu: I think you’re right about the Caps propensity to Target Euros in the 1st Rd for a while as well. There was probably an element of intent in that strategy because it effectively ensured the Caps held their rights longer but I also think the Caps haven’t shied away from taking the best player available (especially lately; McMichael/Lapierre).

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
This seems pretty fast (?!) for an ELC. Maybe I’m mistaken and it’s actually pretty standard but I don’t recall the Caps signing guys to ELCs this close to the draft. Regardless, it seems like the franchise thinks Lapierre is a good player and worth the risk and they seem thrilled to have been able to get him. He seems dynamic, I’d like to see him thrive just to damn the naysayers. Without any concerns most had him easily a Top 10 pick, a chance I think the Caps were wise to take.
Nobody had him top 10. I saw one or two armchair gms think Chevy (in particular) might reach for him at number 10, but even then they said something to the effect of "I think the Jets go off the board here."

That said, I LOVE the player where you guys got him. Anything after 15 and he's a solid pick. His ceiling appears to be 1C, but his injuries last season and the abrupt end to the year made it harder for scouts to gauge his development, but I think he's a good bet to go a lot higher in a re-draft a few years down the line.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Nobody had him top 10. I saw one or two armchair gms think Chevy (in particular) might reach for him at number 10, but even then they said something to the effect of "I think the Jets go off the board here."

That said, I LOVE the player where you guys got him. Anything after 15 and he's a solid pick. His ceiling appears to be 1C, but his injuries last season and the abrupt end to the year made it harder for scouts to gauge his development, but I think he's a good bet to go a lot higher in a re-draft a few years down the line.
I thought I too read what the poster you quoted said; multiple outlets reported that before his injuries many projected him to be top 10, one said top5 (most didn’t, but still, he was very highly thought of)

The big thing I think too was that most teams thought his injury problems specifically were 3 quick concussions. It came out relatively late that he actually had one concussion and lingering spine/neck issue that was easily fixable, but required a second opinion to diagnose correctly

If that sounds familiar, it’s because that’s basically exactly what happened with Crosby when he missed a ton of games years back. It was long thought and reported that he had successive concussions issues, but it turned out he had an undiagnosed neck/spine injury that hadn’t been resolved, so the problems lingered until a new doctor diagnosed him. Now Crosby has been fine for years since then

No gurantee ANY player at any selection of the draft will be a top player, but I’d have to agree this is probably an underrated steal of the draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad