Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Caps Sign Hendrix Lapierre to ELC (3 years, $925k AAV)

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Hope he stays healthy...he's off to a good start this year.

Caps slowly adding some pretty dynamic draft stock with McMichael and Lapierre up the middle. I think both have the talent to be top 6 centers in the future. Lapierre was a really good risk/reward pick - the Caps need blue chippers and with good health he could be one.
This seems pretty fast (?!) for an ELC. Maybe I’m mistaken and it’s actually pretty standard but I don’t recall the Caps signing guys to ELCs this close to the draft. Regardless, it seems like the franchise thinks Lapierre is a good player and worth the risk and they seem thrilled to have been able to get him. He seems dynamic, I’d like to see him thrive just to damn the naysayers. Without any concerns most had him easily a Top 10 pick, a chance I think the Caps were wise to take.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This seems pretty fast (?!) for an ELC. Maybe I’m mistaken and it’s actually pretty standard but I don’t recall the Caps signing guys to ELCs this close to the draft..

COVID league. Things change. I would suggest, for instance, that they want enough control to be able to make sure he has a place to play hockey this season.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Could be a steal. Caps last 2 picks of McMichael and Lapirre are setting them up nice for life after SoMe if their older core players now.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
COVID league. Things change. I would suggest, for instance, that they want enough control to be able to make sure he has a place to play hockey this season.
Yeah and it may provide avenues for his Medical which I’m sure they’re going to be keen on.

Reactions: hn777

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Hope he stays healthy...he's off to a good start this year.

Caps slowly adding some pretty dynamic draft stock with McMichael and Lapierre up the middle. I think both have the talent to be top 6 centers in the future. Lapierre was a really good risk/reward pick - the Caps need blue chippers and with good health he could be one.

Can't forget that they have Protas as well, whos been playing surprisingly well in his rookie season in the KHL.

Reactions: BKarchitect

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Will be an awesome player if he stays healthy. If he does, Lapierre will prove to be one of the top half dozen players taken in this draft.

The Caps have a knack for late first round picks. Particularly players that are dropping. Marcus Johansson and Filip Forsberg were projected much higher and fell because of injury. I cant remember the reason Kuznetsov dropped, but that's 3 pretty good players that fall into that Lapierre catagory

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The Caps have a knack for late first round picks. Particularly players that are dropping. Marcus Johansson and Filip Forsberg were projected much higher and fell because of injury. I cant remember the reason Kuznetsov dropped, but that's 3 pretty good players that fall into that Lapierre catagory
I’d also offer Mike Green, John Carlson, and Dmitri Orlov in the same range. TG for Ross Mahoney.

P.S. it actually sucks more than I thought it would that Green and Alzner retired and/or flamed out without having ever won, with the Caps or without.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I’d also offer Mike Green, John Carlson, and Dmitri Orlov in the same range. TG for Ross Mahoney.

P.S. it actually sucks more than I thought it would that Green and Alzner retired and/or flamed out without having ever won, with the Caps or without.

Green was ranked higher and dropped because his team sucked. Carlson was just a late first. Orlov wasnt supposed to be a first. Was he?

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Green was ranked higher and dropped because his team sucked. Carlson was just a late first. Orlov wasnt supposed to be a first. Was he?
No but Orlov did have cred from his WJC performance. Still to get three Top Pairing D at that range in the draft over 4-5 years is amazing.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
No but Orlov did have cred from his WJC performance. Still to get three Top Pairing D at that range in the draft over 4-5 years is amazing.

I was referring specifically to the Caps track record of taking first round player that were falling hard to late in the round. Lap fell because of injuries

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad