Confirmed Signing with Link: [WSH] Alex Ovechkin re-signs with the Capitals (5 years, $9.5M AAV)

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Its also important to note ovie has a contract paying him this much into his 40s. The other top guys mentioned have their contracts expiring sooner and are paid less. So they were paid for their young to mid 30 seasons. Stamkos was paid for late 20s to early 30s

Ovie is getting more money for 5 years and for his late 30 to early 40 seasons.

I could see Crosby getting very similar now. Really interested to see what he and malkin take. All 3 guys are obviously all timers so hopefully they don't spend 2, 3 or 4 seasons being old, too slow, injured albatrosses.

Well actually screw Crosby and malkin

Last edited:
Reactions: nihlify

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
You are sure? Ovechkin scored 48 goals in 68 games in a shortened season and then scored his annual 20 goals in 20 games run in last season's 56 game schedule. You think he has no shot at 50 this coming season because?

He doesn’t. But either way his play will prove whether someone is right or wrong.

He tailed off and got injured last year. Expect to see a lot more of that in the future. Father Time is undefeated and Ovechkin is no different.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He doesn’t. But either way his play will prove whether someone is right or wrong.

He tailed off and got injured last year. Expect to see a lot more of that in the future. Father Time is undefeated and Ovechkin is no different.

Oh stop with Father time being undefeated. You are saying that Tom Brady has never matched up yet with Father time? He's not too old yet still doing it? Wasn't Ovechkin supposed to be beaten by Father time and over the hill years ago? Lidstrom won a Norris his final season. Right?
If its true that Father time never loses are you sure you know when the game is? Apparantly Ovechkin hasnt had the game yet. Nor Brady. I watched Helio Castroneves win his 4th Indy 500 at 46.

Reactions: flying v 604

Rangeri

Sep 29, 2020
Lapland
Maybe it's going to be overpriced at some point to Capitals salary structure, if he slows down a lot. But in terms of the entertainment value for the NHL? No question. Hockey fans get 5 more years of Ovi. People should be happy he is going for the record. Even if you root for the other teams.

And this opinion is coming from Rangers fan.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Oh stop with Father time being undefeated. You are saying that Tom Brady has never matched up yet with Father time? He's not too old yet still doing it? Wasn't Ovechkin supposed to be beaten by Father time and over the hill years ago? Lidstrom won a Norris his final season. Right?
If its true that Father time never loses are you sure you know when the game is? Apparantly Ovechkin hasnt had the game yet. Nor Brady. I watched Helio Castroneves win his 4th Indy 500 at 46.

It’s a slap in the face to Tom Brady to compare him to Ovechkin.

And that’s cute that you can cherry pick a handful of players and disregard the thousands and thousands of those that couldn’t keep up at that age.

Probably a solid .0005% of athletes perform like that, in the late stages of their careers.

Pat yourself on the back for those amazing counter points….

GossomeRwing

Aug 6, 2005
THIS IS TERRIBLE CONTRACT FOR THE CAPITALS

this team has been bonce from the playoffs early the last three seasons they did nothing to improve the team they got another year older and now they are hoping McMicheal and Fehervary are going t be the difference makers
I am afraid all this contract does is assure the Capitals do not sniff the Cup for five more years
I don't care if Ovechkin takes Gretzky's goal record
Gretzky assists more then double his goals
Ovechkin has taken almost 700 more shots on goals in 290 fewer games then Gretzky
I know one is a center and one is a wing
Of Gretzky's 894 goals 204 were powerplay of Ovechkin 730 goals 269 are powerplay
Gretzky finished with +520 Ovechkin is at +75

Gretzky's was the greatest hockey player of all time not because of the 894 goals but because of the 2857 totals points in 1487 games and in 208 playoff games he was able to score 122 goals add 260 assists for 382 points and be a +92 while winning 4 Stanley Cups

Ovechkin has played in 141 playoff games and has scored 71 goals and 64 assists for 135 points and is a +8
I am sorry but I think with Ovechkin new contract the Capitals might miss the playoffs next season

Ovechkin may break Gretzky's record, but it will be at the expense of his teammates and of-course the fan base

unless of-course the salary cap jumps up to 88-90M then they could bring in some talent but I don't know how likely that is

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

this team has been bonce from the playoffs early the last three seasons they did nothing to improve the team they got another year older and now they are hoping McMicheal and Fehervary are going t be the difference makers
I am afraid all this contract does is assure the Capitals do not sniff the Cup for five more years
Ovechkin has taken almost 700 more shots on goals in 290 fewer games then Gretzky
Of Gretzky's 894 goals 204 were powerplay of Ovechkin 730 goals 269 are powerplay

Gretzky's was the greatest hockey player of all time not because of the 894 goals but because of the 2857 totals points in 1487 games and in 208 playoff games he was able to score 122 goals add 260 assists for 382 points and be a +92 while winning 4 Stanley Cups

Ovechkin has played in 141 playoff games and has scored 71 goals and 64 assists for 135 points and is a +8
I am sorry but I think with Ovechkin new contract the Capitals might miss the playoffs next season

Ovechkin may break Gretzky's record, but it will be at the expense of his teammates and of-course the fan base

unless of-course the salary cap jumps up to 88-90M then they could bring in some talent but I don't know how likely that is

I guess the main question is whether you think losing in the 1st round more descriptive of the team overall than 3 straight division titles(lost in a tie breaker last season)?

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
It’s a slap in the face to Tom Brady to compare him to Ovechkin.

And that’s cute that you can cherry pick a handful of players and disregard the thousands and thousands of those that couldn’t keep up at that age.

Probably a solid .0005% of athletes perform like that, in the late stages of their careers.

Pat yourself on the back for those amazing counter points….

You can cherry pick like that if the player in question is of Ovechkin's level. I'm not a Caps fan. I don't have a dog in any fight about the dude, but he is an all time great. 9 times he's led the league in goals and he had a run of 7 in 8 years, including a big chunk of that in his 30's.

I haven't caught this entire back and forth, but you should do yourself a favor and tone down the attitude.

Reactions: txpd

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

"this team has been bonce from the playoffs early the last three seasons they did nothing to improve the team they got another year older and now they are hoping McMicheal and Fehervary are going t be the difference makers"
-> You are completely right here, the the Caps haven't done much to improve.

" I am afraid all this contract does is assure the Capitals do not sniff the Cup for five more years"
-> Let's not act like Ovechkin was the difference maker here. If he signed for $7 million, the extra $2.5 million isn't doing jack shit to improve the Caps enough to push them much further than they have been.
-> Ovechkin's contract is essentially the same cap hit as his old one. If his old contract had been a couple years longer, no-one would be saying anything about it. Plus, most Caps fans knew that our playoff window is only a couple more seasons anyways, so him being at the same cap-hit as he's been the last few seasons doesn't really impact that significantly at all. Yes the contract cap-hit value won't be looking good in the second half of the contract, but the Caps were most-likely going to stink in 3 or so years anyways.

" I don't care if Ovechkin takes Gretzky's goal record"
-> Seems like you do with how much spite was built up in your post LOL

"Gretzky assists more then double his goals"
-> So? No-one is claiming that Ovechkin is even close to the overall level that Gretzky was at. Goal-scoring though? He's better.

"Ovechkin has taken almost 700 more shots on goals in 290 fewer games then Gretzky"
-> Irrelevant. With how much more competitive the NHL is now, getting shots off is a skill, and it's damn hard to do. Gretzky finished first in the league in shots 4 different times, and also had a 2nd and 3rd place finish in that stat as well, it doesn't matter at all.
-> You can try to add an asterisk over Ovi's goals due to a shot total, but then you'll have to add 4 of them for the fact that Gretzky played in an era where it was objectively much easier to score goals.

"Of Gretzky's 894 goals 204 were powerplay of Ovechkin 730 goals 269 are powerplay"
-> So? Scoring a goal on the power play still counts doesn't it LOL. Plus Gretzky played in a period where power play shooting percentage was often 20-25% higher than when Ovechkin played. Plus, the breakdown of power play to even-strength goals shouldn't matter at all, it all gets taken into account in overall scoring levels, which as I mentioned above, Gretzky enjoyed the benefit of significantly higher scoring era's.
-> Also, Ovechkin has lead the league in even-strength goals more times than Gretzky did anyways LOL.

"Gretzky finished with +520 Ovechkin is at +75"
-> Irrelevant to this discussion of goalscoring. +/- is already a flawed stat, plus as I've acknowledged above, Gretzky is a MUCH better overall player than Ovi is.

"in 208 playoff games he was able to score 122 goals add 260 assists for 382 points and be a +92 while winning 4 Stanley Cups

Ovechkin has played in 141 playoff games and has scored 71 goals and 64 assists for 135 points and is a +8"

-> # of cups is irrelevant, since hockey is the ultimate team sport.
-> # of points is irrelevant since it's already established Gretzky is a better player than Ovechkin
-> If you compare Ovi and Gretzky's goal/gp in the playoffs vs. the weighted average league scoring levels (using RS scoring levels), Ovechkin comes out ahead. Gretzky had a 16% higher goals/gp in the playoffs, but played those playoff games where he averages a 29% higher scoring era.

OviGretzkyGretzky increase
PO G/GP 0.50 0.59 16%
Weighted avg. league scoring 2.84 3.65 29%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"Ovechkin may break Gretzky's record, but it will be at the expense of his teammates and of-course the fan base"
-> Expense of his teammates: See all of my points above, his current contract is no change from his old contract, and realistically wouldn't have made much of a difference for the next couple years anyways. Caps were destined to rebuild within a 2/3 years either way
-> Expense of the fanbase: If Ovechkin breaks the all-time goal record, it will be one of the most impressive, and biggest feats in NHL history, and the biggest in the last 20+ years. That is GREAT for Capitals fans, for fans of the league, and great for the business of the league.

Overall: Bad + irrelevant takes and statements.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I am not sure how much the decline of those players is a threat to Ovechkin or the team. Backstrom slows the game down to his pace rather than trying to keep up with someone else's pace. He's always been that way. His skill set has not declined. Given full 82 game schedules he would have been on a 9 season 50 assist or more streak. The players consider him the best passer in the league based on polling. There is a long way from the best to average. Over the last 3 seasons Carlson has outscored every defenseman in the league by at least 30 points. I worry more about Oshie but he had his best production in his last 5 seasons last seasons. If Kuznetsov wants to be more than average Kuzy, Ovechkin and the team will only be better

That's great for fantasy leagues but when your top line averages 34 years old going into next season they are going to have a hard time tilting the ice 5X5.

Kuz has a 3 year slide from his peak season and is he really going to pick up the slack here?

The Capitals certainly have the skill and experience to make the playoffs but they are also old enough to drop off the cliff, even slightly and miss.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That's great for fantasy leagues but when your top line averages 34 years old going into next season they are going to have a hard time tilting the ice 5X5.

Kuz has a 3 year slide from his peak season and is he really going to pick up the slack here?

The Capitals certainly have the skill and experience to make the playoffs but they are also old enough to drop off the cliff, even slightly and miss.

Is the age of their top players a risk factor? Sure. There is nothing, however, in their actual production that suggests that a decline is coming much less "falling off a cliff."

If in the 3rd season of this deal Ovechkin is still scoring 35, he will have overperformed his contract when its over.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It’s actually not the ovie contract that screws their cap, it’s the backstrom one. It was a bad caphit before COVID came along, now it’s an albatross caphit. In any sense, the caps are not winning any cups for a long time, period.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Is the age of their top players a risk factor? Sure. There is nothing, however, in their actual production that suggests that a decline is coming much less "falling off a cliff."

If in the 3rd season of this deal Ovechkin is still scoring 35, he will have overperformed his contract when its over.

It's fairly well known that the older a player gets the more likely he is going to drop off.

I think the unbalanced schedule may have hidden some of the drop off or maybe the Capitals PP will make them the exception.

And yes I know Boston and the NYI are very good defensively but the rest of that division wasn't really and a full schedule means alot more travel

But father time always catches up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It's fairly well known that the older a player gets the more likely he is going to drop off.

I think the unbalanced schedule may have hidden some of the drop off or maybe the Capitals PP will make them the exception.

And yes I know Boston and the NYI are very good defensively but the rest of that division wasn't really and a full schedule means alot more travel

But father time always catches up.

You think? This is what we always come back to. He is older and at some point, one day, the age will slow him down past his ability to adjust. As Maverick says, "Maybe so, sir, but not today." The father time thing is tired. The question never has been that Ovechkin or any successful older player will age out. Its that these players confront aging every season and so far have beaten it every season.

Btw....You can't use the schedule against him because they played the same teams over and over again in order to detract from his performance without using what was in the schedule that worked against him. The repetition gave teams a leg up on stopping him. You didnt have the outside of division and outside of conference games v teams less familiar with him. Instead these teams played him 3 nights in a row. The lack of days off and lack of practice work against older players and against a team with a new coach.

Same goes for Backstrom and Oshie and Carlson.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
You think? This is what we always come back to. He is older and at some point, one day, the age will slow him down past his ability to adjust. As Maverick says, "Maybe so, sir, but not today." The father time thing is tired. The question never has been that Ovechkin or any successful older player will age out. Its that these players confront aging every season and so far have beaten it every season.

Btw....You can't use the schedule against him because they played the same teams over and over again in order to detract from his performance without using what was in the schedule that worked against him. The repetition gave teams a leg up on stopping him. You didnt have the outside of division and outside of conference games v teams less familiar with him. Instead these teams played him 3 nights in a row. The lack of days off and lack of practice work against older players and against a team with a new coach.

Your argument is full of holes, Ovi and the rest of his younger team did very well against one division in a shortened unbalanced schedule last time around.

Aside for Boston and the NYI, the eastern division had the 1,3 and 5 worst teams in goals against in Philly, Buffalo and New Jersey.

The schedule includes travel, I just picked Backstrom at random back to the 19-20 season, which had a normal but shortened season and looky there he had worse stats against the central and Pacific divisions than the Met and Atlantic.

the 2 seasons before the central and Pacific take turns with his production down.

I'm pretty sure with a full season schedule we are going to see some of the caps older players show their age, Ovi already ahs with the eye test only the humungous SOG and goals are hiding it for those that don't want to see.

When we see more of the same this year, what will the excuse be then?

Look this isn't a slight on Ovi or the Caps but reality age catches up and it's a young man league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Your argument is full of holes, Ovi and the rest of his younger team did very well against one division in a shortened unbalanced schedule last time around.

Aside for Boston and the NYI, the eastern division had the 1,3 and 5 worst teams in goals against in Philly, Buffalo and New Jersey.

The schedule includes travel, I just picked Backstrom at random back to the 19-20 season, which had a normal but shortened season and looky there he had worse stats against the central and Pacific divisions than the Met and Atlantic.

the 2 seasons before the central and Pacific take turns with his production down.

I'm pretty sure with a full season schedule we are going to see some of the caps older players show their age, Ovi already ahs with the eye test only the humungous SOG and goals are hiding it for those that don't want to see.

When we see more of the same this year, what will the excuse be then?

Look this isn't a slight on Ovi or the Caps but reality age catches up and it's a young man league.

Ive got Ov with 50 and the Caps winning the Metro again. You wouldnt do either. Lets see what happens

Reactions: User9992

Bizzare

May 5, 2013

True,

There is so many teams unfamiliar with Ovechkin and the top players on the Capitals.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ive got Ov with 50 and the Caps winning the Metro again. You wouldnt do either. Lets see what happens

I have the Canes winning the division and probably the NYI 2nd.. Columbus will be last after that who knows lots of question marks.

As for Ovi scoring 50 I doubt it and even if he does or is close the rest of his game has already gone south.

The guy has 13 freaking PP assists in his last 113 games and without looking he probably plays more MPG on the PP than any other forward in the league.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
I think Ovechkin has two more "elite" years in him, and then he'll start to fade. He'll be 37 going on 38 at that point and from looking at many of the big goal scorer's careers, the vast majority declined around then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad