Writing article for school paper on lockout, could use help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ObeySteve

May 2, 2003
Delaware County, PA
Visit site
I'm writing a 250 word article on the NHL lockout for my school paper....and since 250 words really isn't really that much, I need to figure out what aspects of the lockout to focus on in the rather small article.

This is what I've decided to start it with....for now, at least: "Back on September 12th of this year, the decision was made that had become inevitable by that point: NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made the announcement that the NHL players would be locked out, and there would be no NHL season until further notice."

I know I'm going to go into how the topic of a potential salary cap is the main reason for the lockout, and briefly outline the NHL and NHLPA's stance on the issue. Other than that, I'm not really sure what to put.

Absolutely any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm no journalist but just do whatever makes you write good columns. Describe firstly how the lockout came into effect, what it means for the fan and the impacts, what do both sides think of it and what are some of the solutions flying around. It should be enough for 250 words. I also don't like the first part "the decision was made that had become inevitable by that point" Just seems a bit wrong grammatically, keep the "the" and change a few words.

Son of Rocky Bay

ObeySteve said:
I'm writing a 250 word article on the NHL lockout for my school paper....and since 250 words really isn't really that much, I need to figure out what aspects of the lockout to focus on in the rather small article.

This is what I've decided to start it with....for now, at least: "Back on September 12th of this year, the decision was made that had become inevitable by that point: NHL commissioner Gary Bettman made the announcement that the NHL players would be locked out, and there would be no NHL season until further notice."

I know I'm going to go into how the topic of a potential salary cap is the main reason for the lockout, and briefly outline the NHL and NHLPA's stance on the issue. Other than that, I'm not really sure what to put.

Absolutely any recommendations or help would be greatly appreciated.

I say give your teacher a note stating how you'll write a small 50 word report. Then tell him/her the balls in their court.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Son of Rocky Bay said:
I say give your teacher a note stating how you'll write a small 50 word report. Then tell him/her the balls in their court.
It's for the school newspaper, those papers that had everything 2 months after it happened. So is your friend writing about the results of the Presidential Election? /swt

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well, if it's only 250 words, I would try to focus on the following:
- The fact that the owners are locking out the NHL
- The primary reason being that the owners want cost certainty
- The NHLPA's proposed luxury tax system
- Hockey won't resume until the two come to an agreement or if the NHL owners decide to employ scab players

You pretty much have the right idea of what to write. 250 words is just scratching the surface, and undoubtedly you'll find yourself taking out the weakest points in the article just to stay within the word count.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
Bicycle Repairman said:
250 words? Bah! That's not an article, that's a Greeting Card.

Honestly...that's what I was about to type...250 words is nothing more than a vignette...just rant & rave poetically

You are going way too in depth for a mere 250 words

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Son of Rocky Bay said:

:lol :bow: Oh man that was funny, thanks.

This is hard ball at the highest levels with huge dollars at stake. Maybe pick one key issue and try and present both sides so well, whoever is reading it wont be able to choose.

Perhaps, what is cost certainty, and is it fair and the best way to operate in sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad