Wright vs Slater

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I kind of hate to say it, but Wright looks very good out there at center.

He may have hands of stone, but wow is he ever quick and tenacious.

Watching him play, I certainly notice him a lot more than I ever notice Slater.

No idea what the advanced stats look like, but just as far as being on the puck, he sure seems to impact the game a lot more.

Stats guys, is he impacting in a good way or bad way? Can he win faceoffs, and if yes, is Slater's job possibly in jeopardy?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I'd go with Slater.
Not a huge Wright fan.
If it wasn't for his PK ability I'd scratch him.

Third season I've watched Slater and I really don't get the love. Sure he is a nice guy and is OKAY on FO's but aside from that?

Wright is better on the PK, younger, faster, bigger. Neither have a lick of offensive ability. You go with the younger guy for the 4C spot.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Third season I've watched Slater and I really don't get the love. Sure he is a nice guy and is OKAY on FO's but aside from that?

Wright is better on the PK, younger, faster, bigger. Neither have a lick of offensive ability. You go with the younger guy for the 4C spot.

I don't love Slater.
But Wright has a brutal hockey IQ. He's an offensive black hole. I think its close between them, but Slater is a much better FO guy.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Wright has been playing a lot better offensively the last few games. Not necessarily getting a lot of scoring opportunities, but he's doing well at cycling the puck, and he has taken it hard to the net quite a few times.

I think Slater at center with Wright on the wing is the best combination though.

fergiesbeak

Aug 26, 2008
The Peg
I would give wright more ice time at center and if he can hold his own on the draw then he might be a better option than slater. Wright on the wing is horrible.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Wright definitely has looked pretty decent at centre over the last few games.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Wright definitely has looked pretty decent at centre over the last few games.

Twice in two games I've said - This has probably been Wrght's best game as a Jet.

As for Slater, he is an OK faceoff guy, but not much more. I didn't understand why they extended him as long as they did. There are almost always younger, cheaper options of a similar player available.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
As of this moment, I'd still prefer Slater, as a more well-rounded player, but Wright is making the argument a lot tighter than I thought he would.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
If you think about how many times you notice Wright in a game (I'm not talking about the misses on wide open goals right now) and compare that to how many times you notice Slater, it's not even close.

Wright is like that pesky fly that's buzzing all over you and keeps coming back. He never quits.

If a 4th line centre's job is to create havoc and make the opposition feel rushed all night, then Wright's been doing exactly what he needs to do.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Move Slater to wing when he returns.

Slater - Wright - Some other 4th liner.

If Wright gets thrown out of the circle, no prob - Slater's there. If it maximizes Wright's effectiveness, why not?

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Move Slater to wing when he returns.

Slater - Wright - Some other 4th liner.

If Wright gets thrown out of the circle, no prob - Slater's there. If it maximizes Wright's effectiveness, why not?

Like!:handclap:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
If you think about how many times you notice Wright in a game (I'm not talking about the misses on wide open goals right now) and compare that to how many times you notice Slater, it's not even close.

Wright is like that pesky fly that's buzzing all over you and keeps coming back. He never quits.

If a 4th line centre's job is to create havoc and make the opposition feel rushed all night, then Wright's been doing exactly what he needs to do.
Through most of his time with the team Wright was noticeable in his effort and forecheck, but really shy on actual results in either end.

I'd still suggest Slater in better, but not by a lot. I don't see either as capable of more than 4th line duty.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Wright has been playing a lot better offensively the last few games. Not necessarily getting a lot of scoring opportunities, but he's doing well at cycling the puck, and he has taken it hard to the net quite a few times.

I think Slater at center with Wright on the wing is the best combination though.

They are both decent checkers - good for the 4th line. I've liked Slater this year, and Wright's hustle is appreciated. Slater is much more likely to chip in with a bit of offense, though neither is going to bring much to the table at that end of the ice.

I wonder how long Wright can maintain a completely clean sheet (0 goals, 0 assists). Maybe we should start a pool to guess how many games, shifts or hours of ice-time he can go without a point. So far, the tally is:

12 games
241 shifts
152 minutes on ice (I'll round down)
2.53 hours of ice time.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Through most of his time with the team Wright was noticeable in his effort and forecheck, but really shy on actual results in either end.

I'd still suggest Slater in better, but not by a lot. I don't see either as capable of more than 4th line duty.

Realistically neither guy would be hard to upgrade!

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wright has been much better as a center, especially handling the puck. That is definitely odd. He's pretty useless along the boards as a winger.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nope, which is why I was surprised to see Slater get so much term on his deal.

He was okay in his first season with the Jets when he scored 13 goals and had 8 assists for 21 pts. Last season in 26 games he had 1 goal. 1 assist and he was just okay on the PK, not hard to replace in my books. The deal was poorly thought out.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Nope, which is why I was surprised to see Slater get so much term on his deal.

I agree. It seemed like Chevy was trying to keep some continuity and veteran presence in a time when there was considerable change and uncertainty (move from Atlanta to Winnipeg, and new CBA on horizon). So maybe he went a bit longer on term to remove some uncertainty and realized there wasn't many other options at the time. A 2 yr deal may have been better, as that 1 extra yr creates a dilemma - keep him or move him?

Have the same feelings about Clitsome. 2 yrs would have been fine, 3 yrs could be tough to swallow.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I agree. It seemed like Chevy was trying to keep some continuity and veteran presence in a time when there was considerable change and uncertainty (move from Atlanta to Winnipeg, and new CBA on horizon). So maybe he went a bit longer on term to remove some uncertainty and realized there wasn't many other options at the time. A 2 yr deal may have been better, as that 1 extra yr creates a dilemma - keep him or move him?

Have the same feelings about Clitsome. 2 yrs would have been fine, 3 yrs could be tough to swallow.

I doubt you'd have trouble moving either one of them when they've got a year left, TBH. Their contracts are not unreasonable, and as the cap goes up, they'll become even less so. If Clitsome continues to play top 4 minutes that'll be an easy contract to unload if Chevy so desires, methinks.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I doubt you'd have trouble moving either one of them when they've got a year left, TBH. Their contracts are not unreasonable, and as the cap goes up, they'll become even less so. If Clitsome continues to play top 4 minutes that'll be an easy contract to unload if Chevy so desires, methinks.

Clitsome is playing top 4 right now, with Troubs injured. Once JT is back, Clitsome should slot back into the bottom pairing, or even a healthy scratch now and then (depending on how Postma, Stu or Pardy play).

IMO, that's a tough contract to move. $2+ mill on a #6+ dman.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Clitsome is playing top 4 right now, with Troubs injured. Once JT is back, Clitsome should slot back into the bottom pairing, or even a healthy scratch now and then (depending on how Postma, Stu or Pardy play).

IMO, that's a tough contract to move. $2+ mill on a #6+ dman.

I agree that he'll move back to #5 or #6, but he has proven (as Clitmore ;) ) that he can handle top 4 minutes in a pinch - that's valuable. Guess we'll have to disagree about the difficulty in moving him if they decided to go in that direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00