Wright, Slafkovsky, Cooley : Time to make that final decision

Who is your 1st overall pick?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
What the heck does Richard have in common with a 2022 scout list aggregate ??? And why would a team with Matthews and Tavares be jealous of centers like Suzuki and Wright?

You need to start a thread with that Satan guy, would be a great read!
Why would Toronto be jealous of centers like Suzuki and Wright? Well for starters Tavares is declining and very overpaid. Secondly, the Leafs couldn’t even make it out of the first round against us. Also they only have 2 seasons of Matthews left and he might walk away. So yes, Toronto fans will be absolutely jealous of our Suzuki / Wright duo.

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
What has more value? A good two-way 2nd center like Krejci, or a 35-40 goals winger who looks lost without the puck like Laine?

To me, that's the choice they have right now.

I think it is easier to build a team around two centers. I would go for top value.
Answer: A good two-way 1st line center like Wright will become.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Reactions: JeffreyLFC

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
The whole size argument concerning Cooley is irrelevant, imo. It's not like he's a midget.

The guy's 5'10... put on some muscles and core strength and he'll be fine. Brayden Point is around the same size.
We don't say "midget"....we say vertically challenged.

I believe he mentioned that his brother is 6'1 or 6'2. It's very possible that Cooley grows an inch or 2.
maybe they don't have the same dad? it is known to happen;)

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
You've answered your own question...just by mentioning DROUIN and KOTKANIEMI. It's obvious it has been DECADES since we've needed TWO solid CENTERS...here's our chance to have solid top 6 CENTER DEPTH...STAR quality (Wright and Suzuki)..... ; and with Dvorak/Evans/Poehling it will be quality/quantity and more solid DEPTH for our 3rd and 4th line CENTER POSITIONS (and one of them can move up in case of injuries or if performing super well).

VERY IMPORTANT: we cannot pass up on this huge huge opportunity to draft a natural CENTER (Wright) with this much potential (especially not for a Slaf that may become a Puljujarvi/Mantha/Kakko......Slaf is way too much of a gamble and he's not a CENTER).
(Drouin is a winger...not a center...that short trial as a center was a huge FAILURE.....and that Kotkaniemi pick should be forgotten as quickly as possible....Carolina is stuck with him now....that contract is a joke.... ; Seth Jarvis is way way better than Kotkaniemi, yet they are already paying way too much money to Kotkaniemi!).

Wright is a natural CENTER (and he can skate and shoot well...and can play two-way hockey for the team....it's been DECADES since we've had the opportunity to draft a natural CENTER with this much potential....we're lucky to have the choice of drafting Wright).

1. Wright
2. Nemec/Cooley
3. Cooley/Nemec/Gauthier
4. Gauthier/Slaf/Jiricek
5. Slaf/Gauthier/Jiricek

Habs have got to keep trying to get it "Wright" with our CENTERS...here's our chance to finally improve our CENTER DEPTH with quality and quantity. Huge huge no-brainer. Shane Wright is the "Wright" pick for the no.1 spot.

Every pick in the top 5-10 has its risks...but Wright, Nemec, Cooley are the ones with the minimum amount of risk, imo. That's why they should go top 3 (solid potential and small risk factor). Slaf is a HUGE HUGE risk, imo (give that HUGE RISK to another team.......our Habs have to take care of its CENTER DEPTH (major priority for....decades).
I can't wait until Thursday either! I think it will be Wright! at 7pm today, we'll find out in 72 hours (plus the pre amble hog wash they'll use to cut to another set of commercials before the 1st pick is announced)...

Reactions: ArtPeur

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
...as opposed to the unfortunates like me (6'7) who are now referred to as "Ceiling Fan Challenged"...:laugh:
My german buddy, his brother and their cousin, 6'11, 6'5, 6'3...I stand next to these guys at my height of 5'4 "Make sure you get the photo low enough to get my head in, though I will cover Toms Slayer jersey" LOL More like 2 wall flags sewn together with holes for head and arms.
product-image-952307192__35148.1593450362.png

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
I can see how recency bias would make Slafkovsky the popular flavor of the day, but I still see Wright as the right player to draft to build a winning team with. With Slafkovsky, yes, you would potentially have an amazing winger to play with Suzuki and Caufield, but the team would still go no where in the coming years with its obvious weakness down the middle. Unless Slafkovsky became without a doubt the better prospect, you have to go with the player playing the more important and valuable position (especially for this team).

Having a Suzuki and Wright combo down the middle for years to come is not to be underestimated – it changes the face of the team, finally addressing by far the team's biggest weakness for decades and turning it into a potential strength. You could have two of the most well-rounded 200 foot centres in the league, capable of playing in all important game situations and producing at near PPG level.

Wright is not flashy but he has above average skills in all areas of the game to compliment his hockey IQ. I don’t see any glaring weakness in his game that would prevent him from reaching his floor. Since when you need to be "flashy" to be a good NHL player? Unlike some players who struggle to adjust their game in the NHL because there is way less space and time than in the juniors (see Yakupov), Wright already plays a pro game that will translate well with his hockey sense and ability to utilize his teammates to create space. He is as close to a bonafide top 6 centre as you can get.

Having a generational talent like McDavid who can make you jump out of your seat by scoring end-to-end highlight reel goals would be fun, but it also does not guarantee you wins, hockey is a team sport.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I can't wait until Thursday either! I think it will be Wright! at 7pm today, we'll find out in 72 hours (plus the pre amble hog wash they'll use to cut to another set of commercials before the 1st pick is announced)...
HuGo will trade for New Jersey’s pick (2nd overall)!

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
HuGo will trade for New Jersey’s pick (2nd overall)!

Doubt it ;)

Things should be pretty conventional:

1. Pick Wright
2. Try to move up from 26 if you can find a dance partner.
3. Trade some late round picks for picks next year.
4. Petry only gets traded after domino's fall in the UFA market.

But everyone's up against the cap, including us if Price isn't on LTIR. So he's definitely trying to trade a winger or two. But who has the cap space and doesn't want to just wait for the ufa market where there are a ton of good wingers available without giving up assets??

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Man..........you are having way too much fun these days!!!
Great job!!
Everyone seems so butt-hurt these days............the average age on the main board is like 11 or 12 these days.

Doubt it ;)

Things should be pretty conventional:

1. Pick Wright
2. Try to move up from 26 if you can find a dance partner.
3. Trade some late round picks for picks next year.
4. Petry only gets traded after domino's fall in the UFA market.

But everyone's up against the cap, including us if Price isn't on LTIR. So he's definitely trying to trade a winger or two. But who has the cap space and doesn't want to just wait for the ufa market where there are a ton of good wingers available without giving up assets??
We have almost 2M in space.........and we can go over by 8M during the summer, and then spend even more during the season once Price goes on LTIR.
Cap is an issue, and yet it's not.................gets even better if we can jet Petry out of town, and maybe Hoff, or baby Drou......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad