Wrestling Podcast looking for input

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Fellow HF'ers...

I'm part of a new wrestling podcast that is starting up on May 11th. A promo piece will be released before then. It's a nostalgia podcast based around the time of the death of the territories and the WWF national expansion. We here in Winnipeg had a unique front row seat for things as we ceased being a part of the AWA territory in January of 1986. A big part of the show is conveying the direct first hand accounts of how people experienced the shows, and changes. In the short time that we've been working on this I've already come across information that has dramatically changed my perceived reality of how all this played out. We'd love to find people with their own accounts of watching as fans and possibly losing their show (as the territories died off). Or conversely how the new national exposure made you a fan!

Where ever you watched and whether you had similar experiences or different we'd love to hear from you. People with a love of that era of wrestling, a connection to the Saturday Night's Main Event/Clash of the Champions shows, or people who attended live shows are all encouraged to email. What were you watching (we love the details, day of the week, channel, time) "the how did you become a fan". If you're younger maybe you have a connection through a relative or friend or just took it upon yourself to go back and find the shows. Either way we encourage people to share their stories by emailing:

[email protected]

These emails will be incorporated into future shows.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The preview episode of this new show is now available. There is a waiting period for new shows on some of the podcast apps so it doesn't show in all of them yet. But you can listen here for now - Search | Podbean
Check it out if old school wrestling is your thing.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
What better way to celebrate the 38th Anniversary of television's greatest wrestling program than checking out the premiere episode of this new podcast!
The show covers the first episode of Saturday Night's Main Event.
iQCos8r.jpg

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'll hopefully listen to it in the next little bit. I just clicked play to see how long it is and the intro was great. Gave me a flashback to my childhood.

Reactions: Zhamnov5GoalGame

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'll give you a listen tonight or tomorrow.
I appreciate that. The platform's algorythyms make it tricky to find new shows. So the more listens, follows etc... the better treated your show becomes.

I'll hopefully listen to it in the next little bit. I just clicked play to see how long it is and the intro was great. Gave me a flashback to my childhood.
That's certainly what we are going for!

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Episode II of the Legendary Wrestling Obsession podcast is out (at least partially) check out SNME II

Part 1, the 2nd part will be out on the weekend or sooner. Check it out! Who doesn't love a wedding? Episode III will be a journey back to watching the AWA in the 70's and 80's.

E6NX4ow.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Episode III is going down a different path. Growing Up AWA has been released and covers the fan experience of growing up in the AWA Territory, mid 70's to 1986 when our precious show was taken from us. Parts 2 and 3 of this episode will be available on our Patreon channel soon.

jisprkj.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's Saturday Night's Main Event III, Halloween Costumes, an epic tag match, Iron Sheik as Batman, Ms Elizabeth as Jane... this show has it all. Please check out this wrestling audio podcast to relive that time when wrestling was great.

4sGe0M8.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
"Gene Mean" it's Saturday Night's Main Event IV! The X-MAS/New Years edition. Water slides, swimming lessons and a Hogan title defence against a former NWA champion. Plus plenty of discussion on 80's toys. RIP the Iron Sheik.

Q0NWeN9.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This week it's AWA STARCAGE, April 21st, 1985, a show that is largely lost to people's memories. The set up features some great matches from January & March and a certain Curt Hennig match where he almost loses his head and the fans decide it's a good idea to pick a fight with the Road Warriors!

JKvWtUY.jpg

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
This stuff is right up my alley. An aquatence was an AWA fanatic. He has amazing stories of watching "Superstar" Billy Graham vs Ivan Putski in Milwaukee. He was a Superstar mark and would dress up like him. The drunk Polish crowd was not amused!

Giving your podcast a listen when I can. Currently on vacation in Montana but might put the headphones on later tonight.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Saturday Night's Main Event V is now posted (after much delay). Hogan vs Muraco with a surprise from the Weasel, the debut of the British Bulldogs to the series & a boxing match between Battling Bob Orton and Mr T. Plus the debut of the Real American video and the Slammy's. Apple podcasts have finally fixed our issues so you can find our podcast there now as well.

AEbs0ce.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just in time for the 4th of July celebrations, some real American Wrestling! JCP/NWA Superstars on the Superstation! It's Flair, the Road Warriors, the Express Tag Teams, Dusty and even an appearance by Willie Nelson! Long before the Clash of the Champions debuted in 1988 we got this TBS wrestling special of Dream Card matches.
NWA/JCP Superstars on the Superstation, February 7th, 1986 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession
Sorry the process to embed the player right here isn't working.
R8grGmv.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's the set up to WrestleMania II and eventually SNME VI. An instant classic between Steamboat and Bret Hart, managers stepping in the ring, Mean Gene making some moves and a Snake is on the loose. Celebrities are everywhere, including the elusive "Herb" of Burger King fame. Part II covering the actual broadcast will be released next week.
2SGpq9S.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
This episode completes the set up for WM II and the May SNME card. Relive the Hogan/JYD vs The Funk Brothers match, witness as the Snake strikes the Dragon and a best 2 out of 3 falls match between Sheik/Volkoff and an injured champion British Bulldog team. What does the Genesis video "Land of Confusion" have to do with it all? Listen to find out!
https://legendarywrestlingobsession.podbean.com/.../satu.../
Please follow us on Twitter @LegWreObsession
Check out our bonus content at Patreon: patreon.com/LegendaryWrestlingObsession

crfbzjD.jpg

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Just in time for the 4th of July celebrations, some real American Wrestling! JCP/NWA Superstars on the Superstation! It's Flair, the Road Warriors, the Express Tag Teams, Dusty and even an appearance by Willie Nelson! Long before the Clash of the Champions debuted in 1988 we got this TBS wrestling special of Dream Card matches.
NWA/JCP Superstars on the Superstation, February 7th, 1986 | Legendary Wrestling Obsession
Sorry the process to embed the player right here isn't working.
R8grGmv.jpg
Liked this one as people tend to focus on 80s WWF when really... JCP was a better product. Great card.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Liked this one as people tend to focus on 80s WWF when really... JCP was a better product. Great card.
I agree in general. The thing is we didn't have access to JCP until about 1987. Grew up on the AWA and then WWF. I came to learn that JCP was overall better but from 84 to 87 could only read about them in magazines. The good thing is how much content there is that I never saw at the time.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's the set up episode to a record setting outdoor show in Canada. Follow the WWF through the summer of 1986 on the way to the largest attendance at a wrestling show in history (to that point). There's so much happening that we can't even mention it all including: Gene on the hunt for the Machines, heel vs heel tag team matches, Savage defends his IC title against Mr Wonderful and Geoff coins the phrase for some new "patented" wrestling terms.
Note: "The Clothesline Heard Around the World" is such a large story line that it deserved it's own episode. We'll be releasing the Hogan/Orndorff saga separately on our Patreon channel!
Please follow us on Twitter @LegWreObsession
Check out our bonus content at Patreon: patreon.com/LegendaryWrestlingObsession

sqwH4ZA.jpg

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
The WWF Big Event Part 2 is out now.
Possibly the peak of Paul Orndorff's career and a Canadian show that set the attendance record at the time to boot.

Follow us on:
Twitter/X @LegWreObsession
Patreon patreon.com/LegendaryWrestlingObsession

Efu3ul5.jpg

Possibly the peak of Paul Orndorff's career and a Canadian show that set the attendance record at the time to boot.

Follow us on:

Efu3ul5.jpg
Next week the show will begin the build to the October 4th Saturday Night's Main Event VII. This will also be the debut of a new mail bag segment.

Reactions: Bondurant and CDJ

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona

Follow us on:

Efu3ul5.jpg

Next week the show will begin the build to the October 4th Saturday Night's Main Event VII. This will also be the debut of a new mail bag segment.
The plea for E-mail in a recent episode was loud and clear. Sent a couple but one was a mere correction.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It's the set up to the October 4th, 1986 SNME broadcast. We track a busy summer for the British Bulldogs, including an impossible match against Studd & Bundy. Hogan defends against Adonis and Mr #1derful has his sights set on the champs belt. Roddy Piper returns and the slow build feud with Adonis boils over in the fall. The debut of the mailbag and more...
Follow us on:

2QncfI1.jpg

Reactions: Bondurant

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Wow. I never saw this stuff. WCW had jumped the shark by this point... what a great tie in and coincidence!

It's SNME VII (Oct 4/86). Jesse's back and so is Saturday Night's Main Event! The fall of 86 sees the continuation of the Hogan/Piper feud, an all new Rowdy Roddy Piper and the British Bulldogs defend their titles against their greatest rivals in a 2 out of 3 falls match. Oh... and there's dragons, like real dragons... or at least mini crocodiles or something. Don't miss it!

Follow us on:

v9iUFS8.jpg

Reactions: Bondurant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad