Wrestling Draft Round 1: Sheppy vs CHGoalie27

Which card would you rather watch?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@Sheppy : Too big matches at the top of your card that I'm sure will be a draw here. I also like the tag team match even though I'd drop Lorcan/Birch and just make that a triple threat even though I understand why you didn't. Full credit for doing a Battle Royale too as I had the same idea and had given it some thought late into the draft until I decided against it. The problem for me with your Battle Royale is that it doesn't have enough drawing power and 14 men feels like you ran out of guys to draft. While I think your card is a match short, there's too much filler for me. Still some really good matches and two big draw matches here.

@CHGoalie27 : At first glance I missed that your card was a two day event. That helps your card, but I think you did your own card a disservice but making it so big. If you just focused on the best matches here you'd have arguably the best card in the draft. Ciampa v Naito, Cody v Dream, Scurll vs Lynn, Ricochet v Psichosis, Samoans vs Wrecking Crew (excellent work there, though I'd prefer Arn in that one which gets to my point) is the top half of a card that's very difficult to beat. Honestly, really drafted well and get my vote here, but just went a bit too overboard.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
For some reason I thought I drafted 15 wrestlers from the 80’s for the battle royal, but counted and had 14, then kind of said screw it. Not super happy with my late picks. A few guys I wanted got drafted... I originally wanted the Briscoe Brothers for the TLC match instead of Lorcan and Birch, haha.

Reactions: les Habs

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want to vote for both. I honestly cannot vote. I want both. 2 matches make me drool:

Tommaso Ciampa vs Tetsuya Naito

and

Punk vs. Cole.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I like Riddle vs Brock from Sheppy. Sheppy has a lot of wrestlers I'm not a fan of though, and some stuff that is consider filler or fat for an all-time draft, such as Brisco vs Credible and the 80s battle royal. There is no denying that Sheppy has some good stuff in here though.

CH gets the edge for me just because his feels grander and more "all-time" oriented. It is a bit long though, but I still think it squeaks in over Sheppy here.
Well, since he decided to be the first to pad his already higher vote count with his own...f*** em.

Bare minimum seems to be the way to go anymore in all walks of life. In thought especially.

I have two days worth of wrestling (apparently long enough to make wrestling fans sick of wrestling)

My 2 days and 16 matches worth of wrestling has the SAME number of matches that could be considered filler as his 7 match card has. Bugez and Babatunde are acquaintances of mine, and they wouldn't exactly bore any crowd. Scarlette and Brandy came with Velveteen and Cody and if you don't like lookin at em- go piss or get something to eat.

CHGoalie27 card: 3/16= 19% filler
Sheppy: 3/7 =43% filler

No women should hurt any card in an all time draft in 2019. Plenty of legit females that the POS sexist notion that they are inadequate has no place in wrestling anymore.

No creativity in using non present day wrestlers should also hurt any card in an all time draft.

Punk vs Cole is a great match up. Riddle vs Lesnar was laid out for anyone who would've picked em. If some of these voters had em, I'd say it would be just as easy for them to come up with Dick vs Balls, but I can't give anyone too much credit anymore I guess.

...ok cue the usual little ol biddies club...

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I think both cards are great and after reading the cards over again and thinking about it, I gave the slight edge to CHgoalie. My big criticism of his card is the Day 1 Main Event vs. The Day 2 Main Event, IMO they should be switched. The Day 2 Main Event unfortunately doesn't have a lot of interest from me, not a fan of Severyn so it doesn't feel like with such a nice card that your festival should go out on that note.

There's a lot to go through but just quick thoughts
- Love the tag team matchups
-Scurll vs. Lynn is fantastic as I have always been a Lynn fan, would love to see that
-Unfortunately I am not a big fan of iron man matches even though the competitors for it are awesome so it is still worthwhile
-Godfather with SP seems natural, although might take away from the actual wrestling
-All in all, I would enjoy going to this event live

Sheppy:
-Love the 80s rumble
-Punk vs. Cole sells itself
-Guess I am not as high on Brock vs. Riddle as others
-I could see the TLC match stealing the entire show

Like I said, this matchup was pretty much 50/50 down the middle for me. I almost didnt even vote because of it.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, since he decided to be the first to pad his already higher vote count with his own...**** em.

Bare minimum seems to be the way to go anymore in all walks of life. In thought especially.

I have two days worth of wrestling (apparently long enough to make wrestling fans sick of wrestling)

My 2 days and 16 matches worth of wrestling has the SAME number of matches that could be considered filler as his 7 match card has. Bugez and Babatunde are acquaintances of mine, and they wouldn't exactly bore any crowd. Scarlette and Brandy came with Velveteen and Cody and if you don't like lookin at em- go piss or get something to eat.

CHGoalie27 card: 3/16= 19% filler
Sheppy: 3/7 =43% filler

No women should hurt any card in an all time draft in 2019. Plenty of legit females that the POS sexist notion that they are inadequate has no place in wrestling anymore.

No creativity in using non present day wrestlers should also hurt any card in an all time draft.

Punk vs Cole is a great match up. Riddle vs Lesnar was laid out for anyone who would've picked em. If some of these voters had em, I'd say it would be just as easy for them to come up with Dick vs Balls, but I can't give anyone too much credit anymore I guess.

...ok cue the usual little ol biddies club...
Are you going to be ok? Jesus, man. Step back off the ledge a bit. This is all in fun.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
FWIW

- Iron Man Match: Naito vs Ciampa
- Steel Cage Match: Funk vs Severn vs Inoki
- Triple Threat Hardcore: Bliss vs Ember vs Io
- Velveteen Dream vs Cody Rhodes (with Brandi)
- Marty Scurll vs Ricochet
- Sanity vs Godfather & Street Profits

Might beat Sheppy IMO.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
img.gif

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I’ll be dead honest. @CHGoalie27 would get my vote if this was a normal sized one day card.

Two days is just killer. It’s too much.
25 years ago today I saw Metallica at Woodstock 94. As much of a hassle the travelling and traffic part was, i wpuld do anything to relive it every weekend. Even as the 8 year as i was having a fraction of the fun everyone else was LOL

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
FWIW

- Iron Man Match: Naito vs Ciampa
- Steel Cage Match: Funk vs Severn vs Inoki
- Triple Threat Hardcore: Bliss vs Ember vs Io
- Velveteen Dream vs Cody Rhodes (with Brandi)
- Marty Scurll vs Ricochet
- Sanity vs Godfather & Street Profits

Might beat Sheppy IMO.
tbh and to break for just a second cuz this calls for it- to appease all sides would it be wrong to think if severn and funk jr are left to their cage match and keep the choten vs inokibaba match, which should get much more love than people seem to realize, i would have enough star power for a deep run? And Ricochet vs Psicosis would be a better high risk showcase, no?

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
There is a voting pattern (for the most part) and there is a reaction that's become a pattern as well. I recommend that you take the other Funk brother next time for your promos. He has the fire you need.

hqdefault.jpg
You ruined Funk and Dusty for anyone else. I don't want to be the girls ghostbusters verison.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
tbh and to break for just a second cuz this calls for it- to appease all sides would it be wrong to think if severn and funk jr are left to their cage match and keep the choten vs inokibaba match, which should get much more love than people seem to realize, i would have enough star power for a deep run? And Ricochet vs Psicosis would be a better high risk showcase, no?
Choten vs. Inoki & Baba is meh tbf

If a big time Japanese tag match, I would've:
NJPW (Inoki, Hashimoto, Chono & Mutoh) vs. AJPW (Baba, Jumbo, Tenryu & Misawa)

or do some variant of a 6 man tag with the 3 Musketeers vs. 3 of the 4 pillars. Could've been accomplished. idk that's just me tho.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think a big problem with your card is there’s a lot of fluff. The festival idea is unique and cool, but a 5-match card each day would have been better.

I also think the wrong match is closing your festival. I alluded to it in another poll that the tide turned in this game and people warmed up that today’s talent are simply amazing in the ring and appeal more to the voting audience in these. Tetsuya Naito vs. Tommaso Ciampa as your festival closer would have done you better imo.

I like the two day idea but think the execution was poor because there’s a lot going on and a lot of it is unnecessary. Hell, you probably have a winner - or at least a really deep run in you if you did a one day card, or kept the festival idea with 5 matches each day.

I literally would only want to watch two matches on day two whereas day one is mostly a home run, save for a match or two that don’t entirely interest me but most of day one is great.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'll say this about ChoTen vs Baba and Inoki - for historical significance it's quite good, but I don't want to actually watch Inoki or especially Baba wrestle. The only Baba match I want to see is Baba vs. Johnny Ace for Mrs. Baba's love. It's the same for me with Rikidozan, Sammartino, Thesz etc. where I can appreciate the significance, but the entertainment value is low for me.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I'll say this about ChoTen vs Baba and Inoki - for historical significance it's quite good, but I don't want to actually watch Inoki or especially Baba wrestle. The only Baba match I want to see is Baba vs. Johnny Ace for Mrs. Baba's love. It's the same for me with Rikidozan, Sammartino, Thesz etc. where I can appreciate the significance, but the entertainment value is low for me.
yeah, those names would have popped cards in the early years of this draft but with today’s landscape, those names do very little for me and swaying me to vote for that card

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Choten vs. Inoki & Baba is meh tbf

If a big time Japanese tag match, I would've:
NJPW (Inoki, Hashimoto, Chono & Mutoh) vs. AJPW (Baba, Jumbo, Tenryu & Misawa)

or do some variant of a 6 man tag with the 3 Musketeers vs. 3 of the 4 pillars. Could've been accomplished. idk that's just me tho.
Not knocking your suggested match but
I made that the match bc Cho-Ten has the most days as IWGP Tag Champs and Inoki-Baba were like if Hulk & Andre teamed for a run. I see no meh lol

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
yeah, those names would have popped cards in the early years of this draft but with today’s landscape, those names do very little for me and swaying me to vote for that card

That's certainly part of it. Tastes change over time as people get exposed to new things. Another factor is that people who are interested in what I'll call classic wrestling are inevitably going to be less inclined to participate in wrestling discussion over time, while those who are interested in 2019 style wrestling are far more likely to stick around or emerge. It's certainly noticeable that wrestlers like Thesz or Rikidozan (undrafted I think) dropped significantly this year compared to the last several years. I think that people are relying less on historical "canon" when making decisions now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad