Post-Game Talk: Wrapup : Game 4 ANA @ DET

RedWinger10

Feb 11, 2013
Have to say . . . Detroit isn't my first, favorite team because I grew up on another one . . . But Datsyuk has to be one of my favorite players if not my favorite . . . Can not get enough of that guy. Unbelievable skill . . . Like unbelievable. Classy. Tough as nails though not being huge. Man, what a player. MAN what a player. He and Sid are the best two players in the league and its close with the edge to Crosby. But Pavel has intangibles that the Pen captain doesn't even have . . . Just on absolute awe of his performance tonight. And that's an understatement. Just wow.

Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I agree with everything. Just want to add that Crosby is one big hit away from a wheelchair and retirement. Don't get me wrong I dislike the guy but I would never wish that on him or anybody! Just saying Datsyuk can take a hit and can play so many more facits of the game (including the physical side) he simply does everything.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I disagree. The highlight of the night was either Perry hitting himself in the face with his own stick or Beauchemin trying to run Datsyuk.

That Beauchemin attempt. Hilarious. I love how well Datsyuk avoids those.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
The amazing thing is Dats loves to shoot for that spot and he can hit it on the move the way he does.... right off the goalies ear is IMO the toughest shot for goalies to stop and #13 has hit that one a lot in his career. It jammed Hiller up and he couldn't do a thing with it.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
i missed the entire game :( , but great to see the series tied 2-2.

they've had a terrible record in OT over last 10-15 years, but now have 2 OT wins. :amazed:

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Wings looked pretty mediocre most of the game. Lets not kid ourselves. Jimmy kept the game close then the Wings turned it on in the 3rd and OT.

Kronwall and Big E were excellent.

Yeah the Wings looked mediocre and yet still managed to have almost 50 shots on goal and pulled off a big win in OT if that's the case i will take mediocre every time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Yeah the Wings looked mediocre and yet still managed to have almost 50 shots on goal and pulled off a big win in OT if that's the case i will take mediocre every time.

Most of the shots were perimeter shots. Low percentage, weak, right into Hiller's chest.

Counting those is kind of lame. Look at scoring chances for a more accurate stat.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Yeah that pretty much sums it up. I agree with everything. Just want to add that Crosby is one big hit away from a wheelchair and retirement. Don't get me wrong I dislike the guy but I would never wish that on him or anybody! Just saying Datsyuk can take a hit and can play so many more facits of the game (including the physical side) he simply does everything.

He might be the greatest player with the least amount of hype to ever play the game. And hope to God we can see both he and Cosby for a long long time yet . . . I used to not like Crosby but he's grown on me - I think since his concussions and comeback. He used to be so whiny, but then so did Gretzky in his early years. He's matured.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of a weird time talking about Datsyuk tonight (maye doesn't seem like it in print) . . . Like I just watched Pavarotti sing and had almost a spiritual, emotional thing going on . . . So wierd. And it's not even like tonight was his best game or anything. Yeah . . . Just . . . I think the networks that cover him give him his dues to an extent, but he doesn't get the hype - maybe because he doesn't have the numbers of other greats in the league . . . The guy is a phenom.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The amazing thing is Dats loves to shoot for that spot and he can hit it on the move the way he does.... right off the goalies ear is IMO the toughest shot for goalies to stop and #13 has hit that one a lot in his career. It jammed Hiller up and he couldn't do a thing with it.

In real time you couldn't even see the bloody puck. The only reason the ref saw it and called it was because it hit and broke the water bottle (I think broke it). And that was just a snap shot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Most of the shots were perimeter shots. Low percentage, weak, right into Hiller's chest.

Counting those is kind of lame. Look at scoring chances for a more accurate stat.

Not always the best chances, but a sheer percentage game when the Wings were controlling the puck in the zone. You knew if the kept that up they'd pop one through eventually.

The Ducks, on the other hand, were excellent at exploiting defensive errors and getting pure gold chances. Luckily Howard rebounded and all was well in the kingdom.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
i missed the entire game :( , but great to see the series tied 2-2.

they've had a terrible record in OT over last 10-15 years, but now have 2 OT wins. :amazed:

It is amazing indeed.

Datsyuk
Brunner
Smith

HM Nyquist, Kronwall, Andersson (his best game in a long time)

BTW I think Kronwall left his feet when he hit that player.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Brunner was awesome on his goal

Aside from that play where he was at the right place at the right time, he was average. Howard and Datsyuk were unreal, Nyquist is probably my 3rd star and I wish the habs had him, the guy is a stud.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He might be the greatest player with the least amount of hype to ever play the game. And hope to God we can see both he and Cosby for a long long time yet . . . I used to not like Crosby but he's grown on me - I think since his concussions and comeback. He used to be so whiny, but then so did Gretzky in his early years. He's matured.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of a weird time talking about Datsyuk tonight (maye doesn't seem like it in print) . . . Like I just watched Pavarotti sing and had almost a spiritual, emotional thing going on . . . So wierd. And it's not even like tonight was his best game or anything. Yeah . . . Just . . . I think the networks that cover him give him his dues to an extent, but he doesn't get the hype - maybe because he doesn't have the numbers of other greats in the league . . . The guy is a phenom.

I remember my first beer....

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
He's a bust in his first full season. Didn't you know!?

Oh and Sammy was useless.

Promoto Bert, Sit Sammy. Bring in Tatar or Toot.

Tatar can't play until the Griffins either win the Calder Cup or get knocked out of the playoffs.

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Tatar can't play until the Griffins either win the Calder Cup or get knocked out of the playoffs.

Are you sure about that? I thought that rule only applied for the regular season, my understanding was that they could call up whoever they wanted once the playoffs started.

Either way it won't happen Tatar is too important for the Griffins and Babs probably wouldn't even play him.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Are you sure about that? I thought that rule only applied for the regular season, my understanding was that they could call up whoever they wanted once the playoffs started.

Either way it won't happen Tatar is too important for the Griffins and Babs probably wouldn't even play him.

I think he would have to be an emergency call up.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I think he would have to be an emergency call up.

How do those work in the playoffs? Four total? What if DD is injured (someone told me he counted as a call-up because he was assigned to GR first).

Took my mom to the game last night. Her words afterwards "Who is #11? Why does he get so much ice time." She literally asked if he was the Babcock's nephew.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
That was another ugly start of a game. CONNECT A PASS. Jesus.

After the Kronwall hit the fans refused to let their team relax again. They deserve a lot of credit. Then Datsyuk went into beast mode, Zetterberg hounded the puck, Franzen looked angry that they took a goal away from him....

I want Kronwall off the team. He go shoot pucks off the glass somewhere else. And he can take Flip with him.

The two halves of the game were night and day. As soon as we started bringing the puck to the net and crashing the crease, good things started happening. Imagine that! Diddling the puck in the corner with sweet passes to the point and the eventual turnover is not a winning strategy.

Just wanted to point this out, defense pairs without Kronwall:

Kindl-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
CC-Lashoff

Not that Kronwall is an elite defender, but ... good luck with that D corps without him ... yuck ...

That Beauchemin attempt. Hilarious. I love how well Datsyuk avoids those.

It would be hilarious, but then I wouldn't be surprised to find out after the playoffs that Pavel had gotten a thigh bruise or something from that hit that bothered him the rest of the series.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Just wanted to point this out, defense pairs without Kronwall:

Kindl-Ericsson
Quincey-Smith
CC-Lashoff

Not that Kronwall is an elite defender, but ... good luck with that D corps without him ... yuck ...

It would be hilarious, but then I wouldn't be surprised to find out after the playoffs that Pavel had gotten a thigh bruise or something from that hit that bothered him the rest of the series.

I'm not a big Kronwall guy. But he's been pretty good lately and we would be up a creek without him. Like has been said before, he's not a true #1 and ideally is a great #3 but he's ours forever. Just needs to stop screening his own goalie, be more physical and stop the mental mistakes. Oh and last but not least, hit the ****ing net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad