Confirmed Trade: [WPG/WSH] Brenden Dillon for 2022 2nd round pick and 2023 2nd round pick

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
This is an odd trade. Our logjam is on the left with Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg and Stanley. We need a RHD.
Also, who are we trading? Washington needs to free up cap - the odd man out at the moment is Copp, but he's going to cost more than Dillon's $3.9M. Unless we're trading Beaulieu for Dillon, which would be the ripoff of the year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
pretty sure he was the one to call stastny to winnipeg last off season the night before it happened

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
This is an odd trade. Our logjam is on the left with Morrissey, Heinola, Samberg and Stanley. We need a RHD.
Also, who are we trading? Washington needs to free up cap - the odd man out at the moment is Copp, but he's going to cost more than Dillon's $3.9M. Unless we're trading Beaulieu for Dillon, which would be the ripoff of the year.
we need a top4 lhd to play with pionk and a top4 rhd to player with jomo

Reactions: roccerfeller

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
So who plays the right side?

And what happens to Heinola? IMO he's ready to break in to the line up.

Reactions: hn777

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Our logjam at LD isn't a logjam. There is Stanley/Samberg/Heinola, they are one "young dman" spot for Maurice. There is a 3LD spot for a "young" player and a vet spot next to Pionk that Dillon can fill if we trade for him. Would still need a bottom pairing RHD or a homerun top pairing RHD because again, Maurice isn't playing multiple young players on D unless it's his last resort regardless of performance.

Reactions: hn777 and TS Quint

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
So who plays the right side?

And what happens to Heinola? IMO he's ready to break in to the line up.

Heinola did play his off-side with Morrissey as an 18 year old. Didn't look awful doing it.

Dillon - Pionk
Morrissey - Heinola
Stanley - DeMelo

Samberg continues to cook in the minors? Beaulieu as designated pilon. Kovacevic on call-up.

Poolman and Niku are probably on their way out. Chevy does this deal if he knows that Hamilton is signing elsewhere and Schmidt won't waive his NTC. Montour, McCabe, etc probably don't improve the team as much as Dillon.

My gut tells me there's no way on earth that lineup happens, there has to be another move.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Heinola did play his off-side with Morrissey as an 18 year old. Didn't look awful doing it.

Dillon - Pionk
Morrissey - Heinola
Stanley - DeMelo

Samberg continues to cook in the minors? Beaulieu as designated pilon. Kovacevic on call-up.

Poolman and Niku are probably on their way out. Chevy does this deal if he knows that Hamilton is signing elsewhere and Schmidt won't waive his NTC. Montour, McCabe, etc probably don't improve the team as much as Dillon.
He's retiring?

Reactions: NHL WAR

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I don't get this. Assuming Forbort and Benn are gone then. That still leaves Morrissey, Dillon, Stanley, Heinola, and Samberg? Plus Beaulieu is a lefty they've been playing on the right, correct? I can see him being traded.

I guess Heinola and Samberg can still play in the AHL for an extra season and this gives Winnipeg a better overall defense than forcing Heinola or Samberg to play immediately.

Still Dillon has 3 more years. Yeesh.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Dillon - Pionk
Morrissey - Heinola
Stanley - DeMelo

My gut tells me there's no way on earth that lineup happens, there has to be another move.
I don't mind that, but I wonder if jomo and pionk don't take top pairing minutes and Dillon can play LD while heinola acclimates to playing his off-side

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't mind that, but I wonder if jomo and pionk don't take top pairing minutes and Dillon can play LD while heinola acclimates to playing his off-side

Remember the words of Chevy and PoMo at the end of the season: "We need to find someone to play with Josh".
I'm pretty sure that implies that Pionk and DeMelo weren't working out. The only new players he could be paired with here are Dillon and Heinola. Pairing him with Heinola makes sense, but it's risky to bank on it.
We have another possible curveball with Pionk's RFA - is he re-signing? If so, could this be an indicator that we're shipping Morrissey out? It's strange, because we don't trade our draft picks that become leaders. I don't know what to think anymore.

Reactions: hn777

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
If Washington trades for Stasny, it makes a Kuznetsov trade elsewhere possible.

Forget it, seems Stasny just resigned.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Remember the words of Chevy and PoMo at the end of the season: "We need to find someone to play with Josh".
I'm pretty sure that implies that Pionk and DeMelo weren't working out. The only new players he could be paired with here are Dillon and Heinola. Pairing him with Heinola makes sense, but it's risky to bank on it.
We have another possible curveball with Pionk's RFA - is he re-signing? If so, could this be an indicator that we're shipping Morrissey out? It's strange, because we don't trade our draft picks that become leaders. I don't know what to think anymore.
No chance JoMo goes anywhere. He signed a long term deal and is part of the leadership group

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad