Confirmed Trade: [WPG/MTL] Sean Monahan for 2024 1st round pick and conditional 2027 3rd round pick (Mod warning OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
it's funny that people find that suprising...
Well it's a terrible deal so not too surprising an NHL GM did it in that sense

MTL played the Monahan situation perfectly. Got a first rounder for taking him on and then artificially upped his value with good usage to get another first rounder out of him

Too bad they'll waste their picks like they almost always do. Great trading, though!

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
An over payment but the market for centres was thin. May have been better off with lesser known centre.

Regardless this addresses the Jets need for C depth and the cap hit is good. Not a bad trade by any means. Plus, Bones might work his magic and help him turn into a more effective 2-way player.

His alleged awful defensive play has frankly been over exaggerated by people that only really stat watch without context.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
what Winnipeg fans need to know is Monahan is not going to put up a PPG but he will play honest hockey, win faceoff and put some points on the boards.

I know this is not a shiny acquisition but it is one that can make a difference between a game 7 win or loss in a playoff series. Depth is what makes you go far in the playoff. I hope he does well in Winnipeg, he deserves it

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
I'm still not used to having a capable, maybe even very good, GM.

Hoping we send out a pick and dman for a NHL ready young center soon though...Suzuki can't play 50 minutes a night, nor do I want Evans playing more than 15.

Newhook most likely slots in instead of Monahan. He's 9 weeks into a 10-12 weeks rehab and started skating already.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Knew he'd get a first.

Common meme around here is Hab fans wanting first round picks for their rentals. Not sure why considering they've gotten just that for all of Toffoli, Chairot, and now Monahan.

Looks like the "two first round picks" for Monahan that everyone likes to joke about is exactly what they ended up getting!

Masterclass job by Hughes.

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
now, Kent should grab him back at the end of the season and sign him for 1 year.:D

this is like the turtle bug in Mario Bross, where one could receive infinite 1UP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad