Proposal: Wpg/Min

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
WPG needs a top 4 LHD. MN has em. Brodin, Scandella.

MIN needs young, elite or potentially elite, forward talent. WPG's got em. Laine, Ehlers, Petan, Connor, etc..

There are obvious fits here, but it is tough to pull off a trade with a team in your own division. Frankly, as a Wild fan, the thought of WPG with either Scandella(making the Jets even bigger and tougher) or Brodin is scary.

Thoughts?

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016

MIN needs young, elite or potentially elite, forward talent. WPG's got em. Laine, Ehlers, Petan, Connor, etc..

There are obvious fits here, but it is tough to pull off a trade with a team in your own division. Frankly, as a Wild fan, the thought of WPG with either Scandella(making the Jets even bigger and tougher) or Brodin is scary.

Thoughts?

We would have problems protecting all of our defensemen if we did a trade. That is the real concern here, but for the sake of this thread, let's say that none of our forwards break through massively AND Perreault isn't resigned, allowing us to protect five defensemen.

Laine and Ehlers are totally off limits for Scandella/Brodin. Connor would be the obvious target, but I would be very hesitant to deal him in division. Petan is the next one after him. Any suggestions around those names?

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016

Thoughts?

This can work but it will undoubtedly be a one for one deal that both teams would be uncomfortable with but happy they got a big piece. Minnesota won't trade with a rival for a package (even a fair one) if they can do that out of conference.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
No way I'm moving Ehlers, Laine, Connor unless I'm blown away with an offer. I really like Petan but I'd deal him, though he doesn't have nearly the value those others do.

Also move our 1st next year, but it might be around #30!

StevenDean

Jun 27, 2016
We would have problems protecting all of our defensemen if we did a trade. That is the real concern here, but for the sake of this thread, let's say that none of our forwards break through massively AND Perreault isn't resigned, allowing us to protect five defensemen.

Laine and Ehlers are totally off limits for Scandella/Brodin. Connor would be the obvious target, but I would be very hesitant to deal him in division. Petan is the next one after him. Any suggestions around those names?

Ah yes they already have 4 defensemen to protect, this deal isn't happening at all then. Not unless Minnesota is willing to take a loss with a division rival. Lol

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ah yes they already have 4 defensemen to protect, this deal isn't happening at all then. Not unless Minnesota is willing to take a loss with a division rival. Lol

It is very hard to pull off, and if literally anyone who's not exempt and not part of the core has a remarkable season, we will lose him in the expansion draft very quickly. But it's just for the discussion's sake tbh.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah Ehlers, Laine and Connor are non-starters.. However Petan, Roslovic, Harkins would be possible.

So, in other words, you're not prepared to give up any of WPG's talented prospects for a young, top 4 LHD who is a bonafide NHL'er?

IamAnton

Aug 14, 2014
Winnipeg
So, in other words, you're not prepared to give up any of WPG's talented prospects for a young, top 4 LHD who is a bonafide NHL'er?

We currently have Buff, Trouba, Enstrom and Myers so unless one of those pieces is moving I don't see the point. Also the 3 I listed are still very good very high skilled prospects... The other 3... they are on a different level.

Petan however was a name you listed... and he is most certainly an elite high skilled prospect.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
No way I'm moving Ehlers, Laine, Connor unless I'm blown away with an offer. I really like Petan but I'd deal him, though he doesn't have nearly the value those others do.

The problem though is that when you have those riches, petan's perceived value goes way down. Itll take one of our top prospects to get a top 4 LHD, even though on paper we may be giving too much value. Similar to the 'problem' in edmonton

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis

Need more than a potential late 1st rounder.

Last edited:

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
My feelings on the subject are well known. The Wild literally have 8 NHL caliber d-men and with a legitimate top pairing of Suter/Spurgeon who will command 25 minutes per game and a 3rd pairing that will be fighting for TOI the Wild have something in demand.

I would be more willing to deal Scandella for someone like Petan or Connor than Brodin.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Don't like Petan. Would move Bouramann, Belpedio, Folin for him, but none of our top guys or Olofsson.

Connor would be nice to acquire, but again, don't think he's worth any of our top 5 defenders for.

Ehlers is someone I would move Brodin for, but not Spurgeon or Dumba.

I would give you anyone for Laine.

Trade isn't gonna happen between these two teams. The values of the players don't really match up well.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
My feelings on the subject are well known. The Wild literally have 8 NHL caliber d-men and with a legitimate top pairing of Suter/Spurgeon who will command 25 minutes per game and a 3rd pairing that will be fighting for TOI the Wild have something in demand.

I would be more willing to deal Scandella for someone like Petan or Connor than Brodin.

I'd think Scandella for Petan would work for the Jets

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Don't like Petan. Would move Bouramann, Belpedio, Folin for him, but none of our top guys or Olofsson.

Connor would be nice to acquire, but again, don't think he's worth any of our top 5 defenders for.

Ehlers is someone I would move Brodin for, but not Spurgeon or Dumba.

I would give you anyone for Laine.

Trade isn't gonna happen between these two teams. The values of the players don't really match up well.

isn't Belpedio RD? Jets need LD

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I'd think Scandella for Petan would work for the Jets

Yeah that'd be about right from the Jets side, at least in a vacuum. TBH I don't think we need another top 4 D, we need to play the 4 we have now and not play Mark Stuart. It's be nice to have Scandella in the 5/6 role but we'd need to expose him in next years expansion.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
No team is going to give up an elite prospect for a #4D.

It obviously depends on the player that is being discussed. While both Brodin and Scandella are #3/4 defensemen, one is a better young player.

Scandella, while one of my favourite Wild players, has probably reached his ceiling as a 20 minute #3/4 defensive-minded defenseman. Brodin is 3 years younger and has more untapped potential than simply what Scandella is at a second pairing.

While we obviously aren't asking Laine and probably Connor as well, with Brodin being discussed, we start entering the Ehlers zone (unless I am totally misreading the situation thinking Connor is a definite better prospect than Ehlers).

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Post expansion draft is when Jets should be looking for defense. As is keeping Enstrom, Byfuglien, Trouba, and Myers will be difficult or we just won't do it.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Thoughts?

Not going to offer Laine or Ehlers or Connor, no chance easy pass.

Petan or some other prospect maybe.

But that would created a major problem for the Jets and expansion protected list. Not sure if I would do regardless. Sooner do it after expansion

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
It obviously depends on the player that is being discussed. While both Brodin and Scandella are #3/4 defensemen, one is a better young player.

Scandella, while one of my favourite Wild players, has probably reached his ceiling as a 20 minute #3/4 defensive-minded defenseman. Brodin is 3 years younger and has more untapped potential than simply what Scandella is at a second pairing.
Neither would be a 3 for us, and we are not looking for a 3.

While we obviously aren't asking Laine and probably Connor as well, with Brodin being discussed, we start entering the Ehlers zone (unless I am totally misreading the situation thinking Connor is a definite better prospect than Ehlers).

He may be, but keep in mind Ehlers worked his way up to being our top line LW as a 19/20 year old. Neither are in play for a #4 D.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011

I think most Jets fans believe Ehlers is a better player than Connor. The problem is we don't really know what we have in either. I think trading either at this stage in their careers could be something we'd regret down the road.

I'm also a huge fan of Petan, but he's by far the most expendable of the 4. For a good fit at 2lhd, I'd do Petan and a 1st in theory.

But I don't think the timing is right, either. We have Morrissey coming up this season and just drafted Stanley and Green. With a little bit of patience, we may find that we've already solved our blueline problems.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad