Speculation: Wpg. Holding the NHL Draft?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Near the end of Jets 1.0, Winnipeg was suppose to hold the NHL Draft. I remember how excited we were about the potential of that happening. Then the team moved and obviously that was out to window.

I can't think of any NHL event, other then the Stanley Cup Final, I'd rather see here in Winnipeg.

Your thoughts on this?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
TNSE likely won't apply to hold it until true north square is conpleted

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Near the end of Jets 1.0, Winnipeg was suppose to hold the NHL Draft. I remember how excited we were about the potential of that happening. Then the team moved and obviously that was out to window.

I can't think of any NHL event, other then the Stanley Cup Final, I'd rather see here in Winnipeg.

Your thoughts on this?

Its a very boring event to attend (especially Saturday) but I think it would be good for the city at some point. They will want to wait for True North Square to be fully developed and operational before they run this event IMO.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
I've never understood the allure of attending the draft. Sitting in an arena waiting for a name to be called out every 6 minutes or so sounds dull to me.

On TV there's the commentary, interviews, background snapshots etc to fill the voids but that's not present when you're there live.

m.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I definitely think that hosting one is one their radar, but as others have said they likely want to wait until after TN square is complete.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I would definitely attend both days if it was here.

What do you find appealing about it that you would want to attend live? Legitimately serious question - I'm sincerely curious.

m.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've never understood the allure of attending the draft. Sitting in an arena waiting for a name to be called out every 6 minutes or so sounds dull to me.

I've attended three drafts and it's certainly not for everybody. For me, it's a fun and unique atmosphere to be around. Reacting to trades with 10,000 other people is an oddly amusing occurrence.

Day 1 gets the hoopla, but I've had more fun on Day 2 since far fewer people attend. You can camp out and have a front row seat while watching teams conduct business. I enjoyed watching Brian Burke and George McPhee work out a trade right in front of me. And if you want to channel your inner-Eklund, you can spot a couple GMs talking and wonder if they're talking trade or discussing vacation plans.

And then there are numerous HOFers, former All-Stars, etc who are working in management roles. The draft is a great spot to pictures/autographs and/or have a quick conversation.

I wouldn't recommend sitting in one spot for all seven rounds. If my team doesn't have a fifth round pick, I'm probably going to do a lap around the concourse and see who I might run into. The Stanley Cup is typically on display and that's a photo opp that doesn't get old.

Day 2 typically is 10am-3pm on a Saturday. I dunno about you, but I'm usually not doing anything particularly noteworthy during those hours.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would love to see Winnipeg hold an All-Star game, however, I realize that the only way that would happen is if Winnipeg were to construct a NEW state of the art arena. Considering Manucipal, Provincial, and Federal Governments are all about budgetting, I don't see a new arena within my lifetime.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
What do you find appealing about it that you would want to attend live? Legitimately serious question - I'm sincerely curious.

m.

Agreed with what he said. ^^

I've never been to a draft before, so I think it would be a cool experience to go to one. I pay closer attention to the draft, CHL, etc. than the average fan, so for me I would for sure be there. It wouldn't be boring for me at all, although I understand other people might see it as that way.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
I would love to see Winnipeg hold an All-Star game, however, I realize that the only way that would happen is if Winnipeg were to construct a NEW state of the art arena. Considering Manucipal, Provincial, and Federal Governments are all about budgetting, I don't see a new arena within my lifetime.

1. I sincerely doubt that the ASG would be withheld from Winnipeg due to our arena.
2. No level of government is 'all about budgetting {sic}' these days - not even close.

I suspect we're out of the running for an ASG by dint of our having been awarded the Heritage Classic this year. It'll be a while before we get any kind of NHL special event methinks.

m.

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
I was in Buffalo last week and had a great time.

- I had a photo op with the Cup that is Lord Stanley

- Said Hi to Claude Noel in the concourse area

- talked to some fans from other teams about their views on their team ..... I think I saw Jerseys on fans from almost all 30 teams...

- talked to a father and son that were there to inspire his son as he was 15-16i and was recently drafted really high into to the OHL.

- saw Zinger talking to both Howden brothers in the concourse and thought we may be drafting the younger one . Only to find out a week later that we signed Quinton.

- I am up on the top 100 draft picks so I found it interesting trying to guess who was next. My buddy was surprised often how close I was on a lot in the top 50.

Had my travel tablet with me to check things out that I needed to on day 2. Also had a 50 inch TV with the NBC feed playing 5 feet from me.( did I mention I had access to a VIP suite stocked with food (buffallo Wings) and drinks) .

-Got to see live us draft Laine all Wpg all star for the next 10 years.

- when Buttman announced we have a trade at the 18 th spot I said live " I hope it's not the Jets" then it was announced the Jets are on the clock I said " I hope it's not Stanley" maybe it's Bellows.....

-good times

I had a great time that weekender my first NHL draft live. I would not race back to the next draft, but if it was in Winnipeg I would definitely attend.

If you do not know your hockey or you can not recognize former or Junior players or coaches, it may be blah for you. I however had a blast, and I did not even mention which hockey celebs I ran into in the local pub/bars eatingBuffalo wings over the weekend.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I remember Chipman did a speaking engagement at a school and somebody posted the questions asked and his answers. One question was about hosting an ASG. His response is their focus is to host a draft and World Juniors.

TheDeuce

Feb 22, 2009
{snip}

Had my travel tablet with me to check things out that I needed to on day 2. Also had a 50 inch TV with the NBC feed playing 5 feet from me.( did I mention I had access to a VIP suite stocked with food (buffallo Wings) and drinks) .

-Got to see live us draft Laine all Wpg all star for the next 10 years.
{more snip}

OK, I'm sold! Dependent on that whole VIP suite / open bar thing...

m.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I remember Chipman did a speaking engagement at a school and somebody posted the questions asked and his answers. One question was about hosting an ASG. His response is their focus is to host a draft and World Juniors.

I was going to post this. He didn't seem interested at all in hosting an ASG but really wanted to do a draft.

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
I was in Buffalo last week and had a great time.

- talked to a father and son that were there to inspire his son as he was 15-16i and was recently drafted really high into to the OHL.

Buffalo wings .

That's pretty cool to hear, did the kid seem interested and excited or have his nose in the air?

How are the Buffalo wings in Buffalo?

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
While the Draft may not be the most riveting thing to watch live, having all the NHL brass as well as draftees and their families in the city would be fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad