Confirmed Signing with Link: [WPG] Hellebuyck sign 6 year deal with Jets ($6.167M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
So in your mind you have to be a Cup winner for the "theory" to be sound? Do you have even the slightest idea how much luck is involved with winning a Stanley Cup?

Pittsburgh won 2 Stanley cups in 2016 and 2017 with a goalie on an ELC, but in your mind that doesn't count.

San Jose lost to Pittsburgh in the finals in 2016 with Martin Jones making $3 million/year.

Tampa Bay could have won in 2015 with Ben Bishop making 2.3 million/year.

Still think you need a $6 million goalie to compete? I almost feel bad for you now.
No, but you need a good goalie to compete.

Name a Hellebuyck replacement that is all of available, cheap, as proven as him and could carry us to success. I'll wait.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I usually love seeing jealous rival fans in threads cause its entertaining to read sometimes. But this thread has completely gotten outta control.

the salt is ridiculous here.... IMO this is an unbelievable contract for Hellebuyck and the Jets. Having your #1 guy locked up when he is only 25 years old at only 6 per right when he is hitting his prime is perfect timing for Jets.

I am ESTATIC for Jets fans. Well done Chevy!!!

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Wow huge risk for a club that should know a thing or two about goalie risks. Just one really good year for a 25 year old and you give him 36$ million, crazy. Why not give him a bridge contract and see if he can string a couple more together before you commit to him for the next half decade??

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Hellebuyck's deal is fine. Along with SV% his GP is similar to guys like Schneider (signed extension summer of '14), Crawford, Andersen, Holtby, and Jones (signed extension summer of '17) at the time they signed their deals. He's middle of the pack league wide in % of cap hit.

KTpVe6v.jpg

Whileee

May 29, 2010
0.907 is terrible now? Wait until you see Brossoit. You don't know what "terrible" is.

Hutchinson turned things around in the AHL last year. Let's see how he performs in Florida this year. I hope you enjoy the taste of crow that you will be eating every day.
You forgot 0.903.

You said yourself that back-up goalies are hard to predict from one year to the next. So we agree on one thing, or at least we did until you changed your mind for some reason.

p.s. I read normal fonts just fine, so no need to embellish your posts with big bold fonts. We get the emotion without the fonts.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Hellebuyck's deal is fine. Along with SV% his GP is similar to guys like Schneider (signed extension summer of '14), Crawford, Andersen, Holtby, and Jones (signed extension summer of '17) at the time they signed their deals. He's middle of the pack league wide in % of cap hit.

KTpVe6v.jpg

Yup % of cap is the most accurate indication for any players contract, especially comparing year to year signings.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
The % of cap at time of signing shows that this is a good deal. He could have a poor year next year, but that can be said of any player. The key is getting a guy like him that you think is your #1, and has performed as such, locked up long term at a very good rate.

The backup situation is not ideal IMO. But that is not solely the fault of Helle making 6M. It's a result of the cap crunch the entire team is facing. Ideally, I'd feel much better going into next season with a much better backup. Realistically, I'm not sure where the cap space would come from to make it happen.

Reactions: Flyerfan52

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Wow huge risk for a club that should know a thing or two about goalie risks. Just one really good year for a 25 year old and you give him 36$ million, crazy. Why not give him a bridge contract and see if he can string a couple more together before you commit to him for the next half decade??

A two year bridge takes him to UFA status as he's 25 and two years away from being a UFA.

A one year bridge creates a scenario where he could elect arbitration, take the 1 year, and go UFA after that. Plus, if he's any good, he costs more after that one year anyway.

He's just come off a bridge deal.

GMpuckFan66

Jun 25, 2018
It's not bad. It's not exactly good either.

I get that he just was a Vezina finalist and all, but this is also a guy that this time last year Winnipeg acquired Steve Mason as an upgrade for.

If he stays on track, deal is decent. But there is some risk imo.
Not really as an upgrade per say but as a potential Number 1 and a veteran backup at worst case which is what ended up happening. Hellebuyck's numbers the previous season weren't horrible for a first year goalie with no NHL experience. He was thrust into the number 1 role and wasn't ready, much like what happened in Montreal with Price. Last year he proved he could be a legit number 1. I think the jets signing Mason gave him more motivation to do just that.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

Because you end up paying a lot more if he does string together more season like this. Needed risk.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
If our biggest issue is "who's playing goalie in the minors????", I think we're doing pretty ok.

Who is the backup? Who plays as the starter if Hellebuyck gets injured and is out for the season? Will the Jets just throw away another season due to bad goaltending the way they did for several years when they refused to dump the anchor named Pavelec?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I usually love seeing jealous rival fans in threads cause its entertaining to read sometimes. But this thread has completely gotten outta control.

the salt is ridiculous here.... IMO this is an unbelievable contract for Hellebuyck and the Jets. Having your #1 guy locked up when he is only 25 years old at only 6 per right when he is hitting his prime is perfect timing for Jets.

IMO goalies usually peak later like 30-35 but I agree it's a nice deal.

My issue is how will they afford to give raises to Laine (Likely 10M he won't make much less than Matthews), Connor (Likely gets the Marner deal whatever he gets), Trouba, Morrissey Wheeler, Myers, etc? That is a ton of talent and depth right there that is likely halfed within the next two years unless I am missing something.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Oh boy, another suggestion that we should have bridged Hellebuyck. Gosh, that would have been great. Putting ourselves in a position where we hope that he doesn't prove himself as a legitimate top end starter over the next couple of years as he then would be able to command any price or bolt as a UFA. Brilliant.

As a fan of a team who may have to go through you if they are lucky enough to make it that far, I would like this option please lol

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Who is the backup? Who plays as the starter if Hellebuyck gets injured and is out for the season? Will the Jets just throw away another season due to bad goaltending the way they did for several years when they refused to dump the anchor named Pavelec?

Tune in next week for another episode of

WORST

CASE

SCENARIO!!!!!!

ba ba ba baaaaaaaaa

ba ba ba baaaaaaaaa

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018

You sound like a Leafs fan, relax

Reactions: 63 others

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
His contract is no where near those. Once again you fall apart.

Hellebuyck = $6,166,167 for 6 more years

Rinne = $7,000,000 for 1 more year

Bobrovsky = $7,430,000 for 1 more year

Price = $10,500,000 for 8 more years

Only Price is significantly higher than Hellebuyck.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018

Exactly.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
You forgot 0.903.

You said yourself that back-up goalies are hard to predict from one year to the next. So we agree on one thing, or at least we did until you changed your mind for some reason.

p.s. I read normal fonts just fine, so no need to embellish your posts with big bold fonts. We get the emotion without the fonts.

The fonts are modspeak. You obviously didn't get the joke. I would explain more but then some special individual here would ban my account. Do the math. :rolleyes:

Hutch was clutch for half a season and then he fell off the map. Next thing he was in the AHL and the team didn't trust him after that. I've seen him playing for the Moose and I think he deserves another chance. It will be interesting to see how he does in Florida and whether or not he can grab the backup spot behind Lu.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
The % of cap at time of signing shows that this is a good deal. He could have a poor year next year, but that can be said of any player. The key is getting a guy like him that you think is your #1, and has performed as such, locked up long term at a very good rate.

The backup situation is not ideal IMO. But that is not solely the fault of Helle making 6M. It's a result of the cap crunch the entire team is facing. Ideally, I'd feel much better going into next season with a much better backup. Realistically, I'm not sure where the cap space would come from to make it happen.

Perreault. Would you rather have Khudobin + cap space (or even Stastny) or Perreault?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad