Speculation: WPG/CAR-Canes interested in Laine

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
So if the rumors are true (and they may not be). Why is WPG entertaining a trade for Laine? Or is this just like a few years ago when Dundon said “everyone is available” and HF took it literally.
seravalli said he had no inside info just that it made sense because jets have a bunch of top end wingers and have holes to fill. lebrun and friedman both said that they haven't heard his name out there and only think he gets traded if its something we can't refuse.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
seravalli said he had no inside info just that it made sense because jets have a bunch of top end wingers and have wholes to fill. lebrun and friedman both said that they haven't heard his name out there and only think he gets traded if its something we can't refuse.

so in other words, there’s no chance he’s being traded.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I like this idea for both clubs. Carolina gets a star to market and help sell the game. Winnipeg could address needs as Carolina is pretty deep in all areas. Both could potentially come away better teams on the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
If I'm the Jets I would do Laine for Necas + Pesce

Lots of team control for both players - Necas is on an ELC and Pesce has 4 years left on his deal. Potentially two big holes filled if Necas can play 2C.

Laine is the potential superstar here but he's not particularly suitable for the Jets given that they have holes everywhere but in the top six wings. For Carolina I wouldn't say he's a desperate need of theirs but it allows them to convert some of their insane depth of very good players into another potential superstar along with Svechnikov and Aho.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
As some evidence for my point on overspending up front, here's the average of cap spent (adjusted for inflation) by SC winners since the last lockout on centers and wingers by slot:

Highest Paid C: $8.71 mil (10.69%)
2nd: $6.83 mil (8.38%)
3rd: $3.59 mil (4.41%)
4th: $1.60 mil (1.97%)

Highest Paid W: $7.56 mil (9.28%)
2nd: $5.74 mil (7.04%)
3rd: $4.88 mil (5.98%)
4th: $3.44 mil (4.22%)
5th: $1.61 mil (1.98%)
6th: $.89 mil (1.09%)
7th: $.78 mil (.96%)
8th: $.74 mil (.91%)

Adding a Laine with Svechnikov incoming throws the long-term structural balance of the roster off. Keep defense spending level and that basically commits to a hodgepodge of 2nd line centers in the future and a really cheap 3rd line.

Necas developing into that player that occupies the #2 center slot balances the core perfectly. If Carolina is looking for a trade, a long-term 2nd line winger for the #3 slot should be the focus.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I like this idea for both clubs. Carolina gets a star to market and help sell the game. Winnipeg could address needs as Carolina is pretty deep in all areas. Both could potentially come away better teams on the ice.
I don’t get he “market and sell the game”. Laine isn’t going to sell more tickets in Carolina than Aho and Svechnikov.

A better team is what markets the team. Giving up a bunch assets for Laine doesn’t necessarily make Carolina better.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
I’m not being defensive at all, but really the only thing you’re saying is that you shouldn’t trade for high end players that are any where close to needing a new deal.

Honestly, the way the Canes negotiate contracts...they shouldn’t trade for high end players that are any where close to needing a new deal.

I mean they tried to hardball Aho after naming him the face of the franchise and I've had indigestion for a month over the thought of them losing Hamilton because of how they approach negotiations.

Reactions: MinJaBen

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don’t get he “market and sell the game”. Laine isn’t going to sell more tickets in Carolina than Aho and Svechnikov.

A better team is what markets the team. Giving up a bunch assets for Laine doesn’t necessarily make Carolina better.

Yeah winning sells tickets the best

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Honestly, the way the Canes negotiate contracts...they shouldn’t trade for high end players that are any where close to needing a new deal.

Agree, which is why I’d think Ehlers would be of much more interest to them at this point vs Laine.

Penaltykiller17

Apr 21, 2015
Raleigh, NC

I mean they tried to hardball Aho after naming him the face of the franchise and I've had indigestion for a month over the thought of them losing Hamilton because of how they approach negotiations.

You know what’s crazy is how little some of the RFA’s ended up going for compared to expectations, and Aho ended up with a higher salary than Point and Laine. When other teams try to sign players for less, it’s called negotiating, but when Carolina does it we’re called cheap.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agree, which is why I’d think Ehlers would be of much more interest to them at this point vs Laine.

But the problem is they wouldn’t consider trading Ehlers unless you address one of their key issues.
True 2C or top pair RD

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You know what’s crazy is how little some of the RFA’s ended up going for compared to expectations, and Aho ended up with a higher salary than Point and Laine. When other teams try to sign players for less, it’s called negotiating, but when Carolina does it we’re called cheap.
Point and Laine got hefty "bridge" deals.

The nasty part of the Aho deal is term. At 5 years it bought only 1 UFA year and they'll need to re-sign him to a huge deal in 4 years. Also, the $21M+ in signing bonuses over last year and this year are going to hurt the pocketbook in this Covid situation. It might really limit what the Canes will be willing to do financially. Hamilton might be a casualty.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Point and Laine got hefty "bridge" deals.

The nasty part of the Aho deal is term. At 5 years it bought only 1 UFA year and they'll need to re-sign him to a huge deal in 4 years. Also, the $21M+ in signing bonuses over last year and this year are going to hurt the pocketbook in this Covid situation. It might really limit what the Canes will be willing to do financially. Hamilton might be a casualty.

Waddell already said the Canes will be spending close to the Cap again. As Dundon said, it may sound bad but handing $10 million to a player isn't a big deal to someone of his wealth. Plus, on the other side of Aho already getting his $21 million is that for the next 4 years he is only owed a total of $21 million ($5.25 million per year). They paid up front for salary flexibility in years 2-5.

Hamilton may not be re-signed but it is unlikely that would be a COVID casualty. The Canes have a salary range for each player. If you don't meet that range you are traded while they can get value. Hard to argue with the results seeing what a dumpster fire the Skinner and Faulk contracts have been so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad