Would you?

Asking for a friend

Sep 15, 2020

San Jose is looking to "possibly" trade Couture and or Hertl .

As an arm chair GM, is anyone interested in trading for either or? I understand Couture is past his prime and the money is crazy, I'm not looking at him. But what about Hertl?

I don't think the Sharks will take on any money and the Wild would have to give up a couple prospects. How about this, see how some of the prospects play this year and at the end of the season make a move for Hertl. If the Wild see themselves out of the playoffs and looking forward for next season. Maybe shipping a couple "older" players out, separately and receiving draft picks.

I believe the cap goes up a bit next year, 3-5 million.

As long as it isn't Yurov, Ohgren, Knusnutidnov, & Wallstedt. I'm actually excited to see Rossi this season but.....that could change.

OR, do we wait for Elias Pettersson to run its course ::cool:

Asking for a friend

Sep 15, 2020
AKL, thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your view, I've seen you reply to others, thank you.

I would like to see your vision for the Wild in the next 3-4 years.

Anyone else?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would like to see your vision for the Wild in the next 3-4 years.

1) be patient, let the kids develop, no big trades of futures or big money spending unless those moves bring in young guys (U24-25)
2) see what we have in 3-5 years after the likes of Rossi, Yurov, Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, Lambos, Stramel(?), etc establish themselves
3) see what we still need at that time
4) see what's available then

The Wild are not Cup contenders at this time, and Hertl has 7 years left on his contract, and we will waste probably 3-4 of them waiting for our prospects to develop fully. That gives us just 3-4 years of a mid 30s (past his prime) player at 8M, when we could use that 8M instead for a player who we know for sure will be a better fit at that time, and probably more age appropriate.

Reactions: MK9

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
1) be patient, let the kids develop, no big trades of futures or big money spending unless those moves bring in young guys (U24-25)
2) see what we have in 3-5 years after the likes of Rossi, Yurov, Ohgren, Khusnutdinov, Lambos, Stramel(?), etc establish themselves

The Wild are not Cup contenders at this time, and Hertl has 7 years left on his contract, and we will waste probably 3-4 of them waiting for our prospects to develop fully. That gives us just 3-4 years of a mid 30s (past his prime) player at 8M, when we could use that 8M instead for a player who we know for sure will be a better fit at that time, and probably more age appropriate.
So trade Kap? I’d be open to it

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

As an arm chair GM, is anyone interested in trading for either or? I understand Couture is past his prime and the money is crazy, I'm not looking at him. But what about Hertl?

I don't think the Sharks will take on any money and the Wild would have to give up a couple prospects. How about this, see how some of the prospects play this year and at the end of the season make a move for Hertl. If the Wild see themselves out of the playoffs and looking forward for next season. Maybe shipping a couple "older" players out, separately and receiving draft picks.

As long as it isn't Yurov, Ohgren, Knusnutidnov, & Wallstedt. I'm actually excited to see Rossi this season but.....that could change.

OR, do we wait for Elias Pettersson to run its course :
Not interested in either of those guys, especially if San Jose isn’t interested in taking any cap back. I think deals like this would make sense in about 2-3 years time when we are not as cap strapped and our team is more looking to go deeper in the playoffs with win now trades.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite, mainly on Hertl, by saying "no" to trading for him, even though I was onboard earlier this summer with trading for Lindholm.

Keep the assets, get through the buyouts, and re-assess.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
278 days until decision day.

Gotta tell ya, it's an uncomfortable situation for everyone, but this is where Guerin trying to maintain some degree of success during this process instead of doing more of a traditional rebuild could rear its head and get ugly.

He's spent 3 years telling everyone he's trying to win hockey games because he wants to keep selling tickets, fair enough, I get it from a business perspective. But now you can't trade Kaprizov with term left on his contract after telling people that, because that's a clear indication that you're no longer trying to win. But you can't let him walk for nothing at the end of his contract either like Calgary did with Gaudreau.

So you pretty much have to wait until summer of 2025 before you start seriously talking about trading him. And even then, if there are two more seasons of making the playoffs (but not going very far when you get there), it's still going to take some stones to pull that trigger. I guess that's where he'll really earn his nickname.

The easiest thing that could happen is the Wild go out there this season and just completely shit the bed. Bottom 10 in the league levels. Then you don't have to pretend to sell the idea that you're trying to win to the fans because the on ice product already proved it doesn't line up. Then it doesn't matter so much if you trade him with term.

Of course the other alternative is the Wild go out and win a couple playoff rounds the next few years and Kaprizov wants to stay. That could work too.

It's gonna get real dicey if they keep doing what they've done the last few years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Gotta tell ya, it's an uncomfortable situation for everyone, but this is where Guerin trying to maintain some degree of success during this process instead of doing more of a traditional rebuild could rear its head and get ugly.

He's spent 3 years telling everyone he's trying to win hockey games because he wants to keep selling tickets, fair enough, I get it from a business perspective. But now you can't trade Kaprizov with term left on his contract after telling people that, because that's a clear indication that you're no longer trying to win. But you can't let him walk for nothing at the end of his contract either like Calgary did with Gaudreau.

So you pretty much have to wait until summer of 2025 before you start seriously talking about trading him. And even then, if there are two more seasons of making the playoffs (but not going very far when you get there), it's still going to take some stones to pull that trigger. I guess that's where he'll really earn his nickname.

The easiest thing that could happen is the Wild go out there this season and just completely shit the bed. Bottom 10 in the league levels. Then you don't have to pretend to sell the idea that you're trying to win to the fans because the on ice product already proved it doesn't line up. Then it doesn't matter so much if you trade him with term.

Of course the other alternative is the Wild go out and win a couple playoff rounds the next few years and Kaprizov wants to stay. That could work too.

It's gonna get real dicey if they keep doing what they've done the last few years.
And you can talk all you want, but he'll have a full NMC in his pocket by then. Essentially all of the leverage that Matthews just had this summer.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
And you can talk all you want, but he'll have a full NMC in his pocket by then. Essentially all of the leverage that Matthews just had this summer.

Yeah that's not very appealing, especially since we're most likely going to have to overpay him right off the bat anyway to get him to not test free agency (because he could probably get the same money from a better team there).

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah that's not very appealing, especially since we're most likely going to have to overpay him right off the bat anyway to get him to not test free agency (because he could probably get the same money from a better team there).
So here is the question:

Do you a) give Kaprizov 8 x $15M in the summer of 2025, or b) let him walk in UFA.

I guess you could technically trade him to a team he'd be willing to re-sign with, but you're probably only getting 25 cents on the dollar.

I will always wonder if NJ would have done this, coming off of his 100+ point season (4 years remaining on his contract):
#2 overall pick in 2022 (Cooley or Wright, hopefully Cooley)
Mercer
Holtz
Future 1st round pick

Would've been ballsy as all hell for Guerin to do, but I'll still wonder.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
So here is the question:

Do you a) give Kaprizov 8 x $15M in the summer of 2025, or b) let him walk in UFA.

I guess you could technically trade him to a team he'd be willing to re-sign with, but you're probably only getting 25 cents on the dollar.

I will always wonder if NJ would have done this, coming off of his 100+ point season (4 years remaining on his contract):
Mercer
Holtz
Future 1st round pick

Would've been ballsy as all hell, but I'll still wonder.

If these are the three options, I would hope we would have sold him before the NMC kicked in.

1st) Trade him for whatever you can get, I guess
2nd) Sign him for 8x15. Super ugly but could turn less ugly if the cap actually starts going up again
3rd) Let him walk for nothing

My hope was that even with a full NMC, you could still get a 1st, a good prospect, and whatever else thrown in. I don't have any good comps right now though.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
So here is the question:

Mercer
Holtz
Future 1st round pick

Would've been ballsy as all hell for Guerin to do, but I'll still wonder.
Personally, I trade him.

He’ll be approaching the age where players start to drop off. Getting anything for him will be better than letting him walk for nothing.

I haven’t looked at the details of the NMC/NTC but if you sell him at the deadline, I still think he’ll fetch a pretty penny.

This is, of course, under the assumption we’re not kicking teeth in that session

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I think what we have here is another reason not to sign Zuccarello until next summer. If this season goes pear shaped and you end up making the decision to trade Kaprizov, you don't want Zuccarello around for 2-3 more years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Personally, I trade him.

He’ll be approaching the age where players start to drop off. Getting anything for him will be better than letting him walk for nothing.

I haven’t looked at the details of the NMC/NTC but if you sell him at the deadline, I still think he’ll fetch a pretty penny.

This is, of course, under the assumption we’re not kicking teeth in that session
He would have complete control over where he might go.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN

Absolutely 3.gif

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I think what we have here is another reason not to sign Zuccarello until next summer. If this season goes pear shaped and you end up making the decision to trade Kaprizov, you don't want Zuccarello around for 2-3 more years.
Guerin is not going to trade Kaprizov with 2 years left on his contract. He’s going to open up Leipold’s checkbook in 2025/2026 and give Kaprizov whatever he wants.

What Guerin should be doing is poking around potential young stars that could be available via trade. Someone like Zegras this offseason or Pettersson next offseason. Someone that will make Kaprizov feel like he’s not playing on an island if Zuccarello leaves. I don’t think that is Boldy either. Boldy has shown twice now that he is monumentally more effective with a speedy winger opposite of him.

Imagine if the Wild could pull something like Rossi+1st+D prospect+Foligno+Middleton for Zegras. Sign Zegras to a bridge deal of something like 3 x $6M or whatever doesn’t take him right to free agency.

Kap-Zegras-Zucc
Johansson-Ek-Boldy
Hartman-Gaudreau-Walker (the all right handed line lol)
Duhaime-Dewar-Maroon

Brodin-Faber
Goligoski-Spurgeon
Merrilll-Addison

Gus
MAF

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

OR, do we wait for Elias Pettersson to run its course ::cool:
I would wait 20-30 games and then make a decision on Rossi. If he doesn't look like he'll be a top 6 player, I'd work him into a trade like Zucc+Rossi+1st for Hertl. But that only works if the Sharks aren't on Zucc's no trade list. It's going to be very hard to work anyone making decent money into this cap situation

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
I would wait 20-30 games and then make a decision on Rossi. If he doesn't look like he'll be a top 6 player, I'd work him into a trade like Zucc+Rossi+1st for Hertl. But that only works if the Sharks aren't on Zucc's no trade list. It's going to be very hard to work anyone making decent money into this cap situation

Ok. Let's say the Sharks aren't on his no-trade list, for whatever reason. Why would the Sharks make that trade?

Reactions: Groo

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If he doesn't look like he'll be a top 6 player, why would the Sharks want him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad