Proposal: Would you want Nolan Patrick, if it means giving up current assets?

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Nolan Patrick has been projected to be the No.1 Draft Pick in this years draft for around 2 to 3 seasons, he has many injury concerns and I've heard from a slim margin of people of personality concerns as well(like 2 people, so very, very slim) but he looks like an absolute stud, in my opinion he looks a lot like Auston Matthews(maybe a little more physical and a little less tactical, but very similar IMO), he seems to carry many Franchise'ish traits, but hasn't shown enough to prove he can be just that so far(I'm not saying he will or will not, just commenting from what I've seen).

Now here's the question I've been waiting to ask... If you where Winnipegs GM and the Devils said they where open to trade suggestion for they're pick what would you offer? Would you offer high(believing he will be very good) or offer low and keep what we got(believing he might be good but not worth spending to much and hurting are teams chances next season).

In response to my own question, I'd offer Little/Roslovic, Myers, a 2nd Rounder and our 1st Rounder this year and see if that works.

Now I know many people will come out and say Hischier is better or is ranked higher and Jets should be presenting this to the Flyers, but I believe the Flyers would want they're pick more because Patrick is the perfect fit for they're team. So trading for the first might be easier.

Thanks for reading and don't forget to comment and let me know your opinion.

Last edited:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I don't think anything we have would be enough to make them move it.

They have a Center spot open in their lineup and it will most definitely be filled with Patrick next year. I bet that Patrick lines up on their 3rd line behind Zajac and Zacha with Bennet and Noeson.

Lots of size up the middle for them Zajac 6'2, Zacha 6'3 and Patrick 6'3. All solid two-way players as well. I fully expect NJ to draft Patrick and actually be an improved team next year. Probably not a horrible place for Patrick to go actually.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I don't think anything we have would be enough to make them move it.

They have a Center spot open in their lineup and it will most definitely be filled with Patrick next year. I bet that Patrick lines up on their 3rd line behind Zajac and Zacha with Bennet and Noeson.

Lots of size up the middle for them Zajac 6'2, Zacha 6'3 and Patrick 6'3. All solid two-way players as well. I fully expect NJ to draft Patrick and actually be an improved team next year. Probably not a horrible place for Patrick to go actually.

You don't think they would consider picking Hischier, I think he would fit better by Hall IMO. I know Patrick is better due to the length of skill in his game but I'm not sure I think this is one of those teams that might pick Hischier over Patrick due to his superior offensive skills. But yeah, I think it will be exceptionally hard to shake New Jersey for they're pick, honestly if you where to swipe the top 20 players of this draft off the board or move them to next seasons draft the 1st pick would still be very, very pricey as it's very flashy and would sell jerseys.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You don't think they would consider picking Hischier, I think he would fit better by Hall IMO. I know Patrick is better due to the length of skill in his game but I'm not sure I think this is one of those teams that might pick Hischier over Patrick due to his superior offensive skills.

Hard to say. Patrick's offensive skills have become very underrated. The kid has a hell of a shot and is very slick with the puck on his stick. Not only that but he is a far superior physical player and IMO has higher defensive upside. Even though Hischier is not to bad in that department himself. I often compare Hischier to Patrik Elias and if the Devils find that same comparison in his game they may be inclined to pick him.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Hard to say. Patrick's offensive skills have become very underrated. The kid has a hell of a shot and is very slick with the puck on his stick. Not only that but he is a far superior physical player and IMO has higher defensive upside. Even though Hischier is not to bad in that department himself. I often compare Hischier to Patrik Elias and if the Devils find that same comparison in his game they may be inclined to pick him.

Oh yeah for sure, I believe Patrick is better overall no question about that for me, but Hischier looks much faster then Patrick and has such good stick handling skills he reminds me of a young Datsyuk, I'm pretty sure Patrick has a better shot but I think those two aspects of Hischiers offensive game make his offensive game superior to Patrick's, but like I said Patrick is very technically sound and physical as a defender which is what makes him so good when you add it to his offensive upside not to say Hischier isn't just Patrick's on a different level(IMO). I'm just saying some teams might be inclined to picking Hischier for his flashiness and offensive skills and I think a team like New Jersey might be in or around that spectrum.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Oh yeah for sure, I believe Patrick is better overall no question about that for me, but Hischier looks much faster then Patrick and has such good stick handling skills he reminds me of a young Datsyuk, I'm pretty sure Patrick has a better shot but I think those two aspect of Hischiers offensive game make that part of his game better, but like I said Patrick is very technically sound and physical as a defender which is what makes him so good when you add it to his offensive upside not to say Hischier isn't just Patrick's on a different level(IMO). I'm just saying some teams might be inclined to picking Hischier for his flashiness and offensive skills and I think a team like New Jersey might be in or around that spectrum.

Yeah I see that same upside in Hischier's game. Philly are the real winners here. Just take whoever is left and laugh all the way home.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
We don't really need Nolan, we already have a Patrik.

I know Laine is better, and we do have Scheifele but this is probable the Jets last seasons of failure/ under performing(suppose we don't turn into the next Edmonton for the next 5 seasons) and the top prospect is a born and bread Winnipeger with allot of talent(I could see him on the Laine, Matthews, Eichel Tier, if he pans out really well) and upside, On top of that this draft has been thrown to the dirt(called a bad draft) which might make the 1st pick allot cheaper. Not to mention if we got Patrick in a couple years we would most likely have the strongest Center tandem in the entire league and would also most likely contain the best offense every year on from that. I don't want to guarantee cups or division titles but it would be hard to not see our team winning one with Patrick on it in the next 5 to 10 years(which is what the sport is basically all about, the cups). I'll try to compare and contrast, let's say Pittsburgh didn't have or traded Malkin(who's much better than Patrick, I know I'm just giving an example) for a team need, they didn't need him because they already had a Crosby, Letang, Fluery(when he was good) and all the other good players they had down the stretch but Malkin was the game breaker or rather icing on the cake to all that talent, which is what got them two cups and are making them so dominant today.

Last edited:

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
**** no. Nolan Patrick projects to be a good player, but that injury history worries me (sports hernia at 17? Woof.), and he's not objectively better than what we currently have at C.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
yeah, we need the center pretty badly. our boards seem pretty split, but i'm pretty sure shero is keeping the pick.

agree with the sentiment that picking #2 is more of a relief, since regardless of what happens/how the prospects turn out, it would have been out of your control. we can only hope that what we pick ends up being more impactful than their pick in hindsight haha.

Little/Roslovic, Myers, a 2nd Rounder and our 1st Rounder this year - not enough for that 1OA. we need top 6, and that won't cut it. little is 29, and ros isn't a super stellar prospect - good, but not that impactful, IMO.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
**** no. Nolan Patrick projects to be a good player, but that injury history worries me (sports hernia at 17? Woof.), and he's not objectively better than what we currently have at C.

Lots of players have injuries, and he wouldn't be playing recently if he hadn't recovered(I know injuries accrue easier after they happen once but he looks healthy), our current Center who he would likely replace has only had one healthy/ full season himself and looks very good statistically, but when your playing beside an Elite Winger(in Wheeler) the most of your career your not gonna look ugly. I think Patrick may not even be better than Little at the moment, but in two years I would stack my bets on him being objectively better than Little with no hesitation.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Yes, he could realistically be better than Little in two years time; Little will be 31 and Patrick will be 20. However, we are all basing this on projections, not certainty. Everyone deals with injuries, but how many deal with sports hernia injuries? Look at what it did to Andrew Ladd.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
yeah, we need the center pretty badly. our boards seem pretty split, but i'm pretty sure shero is keeping the pick.

agree with the sentiment that picking #2 is more of a relief, since regardless of what happens/how the prospects turn out, it would have been out of your control. we can only hope that what we pick ends up being more impactful than their pick in hindsight haha.

Little/Roslovic, Myers, a 2nd Rounder and our 1st Rounder this year - not enough for that 1OA. we need top 6, and that won't cut it. little is 29, and ros isn't a super stellar prospect - good, but not that impactful, IMO.

I think Patrick could really fit into your system having 3, 6'3, offensively inclined centers with solid two way abilities in Zajac, Zacha and Patrick could make the Devils a miserable team to play against.

I'm guessing what we would need to give up to get Patrick is just not worth it. Jersey is actually not a bad place for Patrick to develop and given your system it could end up benefiting him a lot. Jersey isn't a horrible place for him to land.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Yes, he could realistically be better than Little in two years time; Little will be 31 and Patrick will be 20. However, we are all basing this on projections, not certainty. Everyone deals with injuries, but how many deal with sports hernia injuries? Look at what it did to Andrew Ladd.

There is a precedent set out that SH injuries actually affect those in the 30+ year old range a lot more than they do an 18 year old kid. Sure there is some risk there but not nearly as much as there would be if he was older.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
There is a precedent set out that SH injuries actually affect those in the 30+ year old range a lot more than they do an 18 year old kid. Sure there is some risk there but not nearly as much as there would be if he was older.

Fair point. It takes longer to recover from injuries when you're older than when you were younger. However, he's missed a lot of playing time in the last several seasons with various injuries. I would definitely be hesitant about that.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Fair point. It takes longer to recover from injuries when you're older than when you were younger. However, he's missed a lot of playing time in the last several seasons with various injuries. I would definitely be hesitant about that.

Interestingly enough though he didn't miss a single game in last years 72 game - 102 point run. So while it's been stated he's missed a lot of time in the last few seasons it's really only been since last years playoffs. Where he got the hernia, recovered, started the season strong and then had a shoulder injury. There may be some risk there but I do think it is overblown. He's just had a string of bad luck I think.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

Yeah, i know the values very high for a 1OA I'm just trying to spit out ideas.

Maybe Connor, Myers, 2, 1st Rounders(one this year one next year) and 2nd Rounder

Last edited:

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela

Maybe Connor, Myers, 2, 1st Rounders(one this year one next year) and 2nd Rounder

now you're talkin :laugh:

kyle connor is gonna be awesome down the line for your team. great draft pick. a lot of people on our boards were jealous

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Interestingly enough though he didn't miss a single game in last years 72 game - 102 point run. So while it's been stated he's missed a lot of time in the last few seasons it's really only been since last years playoffs. Where he got the hernia, recovered, started the season strong and then had a shoulder injury. There may be some risk there but I do think it is overblown. He's just had a string of bad luck I think.

Then his team has to hope that he improves his luck, because otherwise they're going to have a top pick on the shelf 40% of the time.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

kyle connor is gonna be awesome down the line for your team. great draft pick. a lot of people on our boards were jealous

Not sure I'd give up a 2018 pick just yet. There is no telling how we improve next year. 2018 is looking like a stacked draft well into the 3rd round maybe even 4th with some crazy high end talent. No one should be trading 2018 draft picks honestly. From a year out that draft looks deadly.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Then his team has to hope that he improves his luck, because otherwise they're going to have a top pick on the shelf 40% of the time.

I think 12 months is to little of a sample size to say a guy is injury prone long term. Perreault is injury prone, Myers is injury prone. Patrick has at least played a full season once in his career.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary

Nolan Patrick really isn't important enough for us to need him to be honest, giving up all that would only hurt the Jets.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

It seemed like a great value Pick(I thought he was top 10 or under), but it's hard to keep your optimisism when the best player in the world is drafted in the same draft and then who people thought would be tagging just behind him is in the same draft as well it really over shadows all the steals and good picks(IMO). But I was very hesitant to put Connor in there(if it has to be done than above it), but I believe the Jets will need an young Elite Center who can replace Little(as he ages, and could also be used as trade bait), but yeah our team will need a quality Center to succeed in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad