Proposal: Would you trade Zadina++ for Kopitar?

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
OK, this is a wild idea in spirit of Jimmy Devellano’s recent interview. In normal circumstances players of Kopitar’s level are not available. However, Kings have an aging and expensive roster that is somehow worse than us in the standings. They look like a team that needs rebuilding but are saddled with 2 10m+ contracts. Maybe they’re looking to sell off their players to kick start the rebuild.

If we want the trade to makes sense for us, we can’t sell Larkin and Cholowski. That means Doughty is a no-go: 28 year old Norris winner commands a premium even signed @ 11m for 8 next years. Kopitar is 3 years older and costs 10m for next 6 years - maybe the Kings are willing to cut him if he waives his NMC. But there are no young 1Cs available on the market - the closest things potentially on the trading block are Nylander and Draisatl and even then it doesn’t make sense from financial standpoint for their current teams.

What if we offer a package like Zadina+Veleno+AA and start talking from there? It will hurt to lose so many young players but a 1-2 punch of Kopitar and Larkin is good enough for a contender: build from there and try to make a cup run in the next 5 years until Larkin needs resigning and Kopitar contract ends. Kings won’t like it but 3 young assets + their 1st round pick this year can probably make a foundation to restart contending while Doughty is still good. Everyone is unhappy so it is a good enough proposal - thoughts?

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I've been thinking of trade scenarios with LA for a few days, just as a fun hypothetical, not because I believe it'd be the best long-term for our retool on the fly rebuild. Yesterday I thought about Kopitar for AA, Nyquist, (1st or Zadina) & 3rd + ~3m cap dump/serviceable piece Helm? to balance cap on both teams.

LA badly needs speed, youth & prospects/picks. Preferably with skill.

Doubt either team does this or should.

Another was Nielsen+AA+2nd+3rd for Muzzin+Toffoli

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
No, by the time the rest of the roster catches up, Kopitar is in his mid 30's and likely beginning to decline.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
100% no.

Kopitar is arguably a top 5 center of the last decade, don’t get me wrong, wonderful player, love his game. But he’s about 31 years old. It’s time to go young right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad