Would you trade the 13th pick for Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I know I'm going to get scrutinized for asking this because we need defense and possible have one of the best offences in the entire league, but Kovelchuk wants a contending team, look I'm not saying we are top notch players amongst the league, but we did finish 3 points short of 90 with bad goaltending, Trouba's holdout, soooo mannnny injuries and likely have as much potential as any team in the league. I think 10-15 fits the worth of Kovelchuk(at his age and uncertainty) even though it's a relitively bad draft past the top 2. We could still do FA signings and get a LD and / or goalie(while young players are cheap).

Kovy Lineups:

Lose Lowry to Expansion.

Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Perrault Little Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Kovelchuk
Petan Copp Armia
(Likely the best offense in the league and has so many variables and options

Morrisey Trouba
FA Byfuglien
Poolman Myers
(Basically the usual projections anyways)

FA
Hellebuyck

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I don't know if I'd want him - personally I interpreted his taking his ball back home to Russia as a very bad faith move towards the Devils and who knows if he's up to the game of the NHL after taking it relatively easy back home.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Almost definitely - he's a great player. I would want a couple years on his contract though.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I wouldn't. He gets a pick in the 20s at the very best, likely a combination of a 2nd + 3rd or something.

Something like this. He isn't the Kovalchuk of 5 years ago. Even if he is good for a year or two, that will be it.

Would I trade 13? Not even close. I would offer Lemieux. Notice I didn't offer Stanley. He might bring a better return someday.

Much ado about nothing. (where did I see that today :laugh: )

Tasteless Beaver

PLANE TEAM GOOD
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Didn't Thorburn play on a line with Kovalchuk once? Might have to re-sign him to bait Kovy into coming back to the Thrashers. I'm not sure that's a risk we're willing to take.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
I wouldn't. He gets a pick in the 20s at the very best, likely a combination of a 2nd + 3rd or something.

He can't get a draft pick in this years draft cause his contract can't be agreed to until July 1st.[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Don't really need him. Would rather spend the pick on a package for a dman.

I think kovalchuk will end up in Edmonton

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
I know I'm going to get scrutinized for asking this because we need defense and possible have one of the best offences in the entire league, but Kovelchuk wants a contending team, look I'm not saying we are top notch players amongst the league, but we did finish 3 points short of 90 with bad goaltending, Trouba's holdout, soooo mannnny injuries and likely have as much potential as any team in the league. I think 10-15 fits the worth of Kovelchuk(at his age and uncertainty) even though it's a relitively bad draft past the top 2. We could still do FA signings and get a LD and / or goalie(while young players are cheap).

Kovy Lineups:

Lose Lowry to Expansion.

Laine Scheifele Ehlers
Perrault Little Wheeler
Connor Roslovic Kovelchuk
Petan Copp Armia
(Likely the best offense in the league and has so many variables and options

Morrisey Trouba
FA Byfuglien
Poolman Myers
(Basically the usual projections anyways)

FA
Hellebuyck

So you waited till after the xd to ask enstrom to waive and then when he does you trade him for nothing.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
It's still Kovalchuk you have to figure there's a few teams that will go after him hard. I'm sure the last place he's thinking of is here.

It sounded like it's going to be a sign and trade. If we could get him on a 4 year deal I'd think about it. Kovalchuk could play another 10 years still...

Will never happen though.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
If I'm Vegas I trade 6th overall for him if I sign Dadonov. Come into the league with a bang.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
to sign his as a UFA ok, but i wouldn't want to be giving up much to get him. 13th OA is too much for me for a guy who wouldn't be a part of the future.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
Kovalchuck, all things being equal, will be a 20-25 goal scorer for a couple of years in the NHL. (My best guess)

Then, he wouldn't be around for the Jets' most competitive years.

So, what would be gained? Would it be best to have him as a bookmark, and keep players on the farm a little longer? Would he bring talent and attitude to lift the team up long-term? How about pure entertainment value?

I'd pass. I think his best fit is on a team tuning up because their competitive window is closing.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
He is a toxic diva. Thats the attitude he would bring

This is my thought. Look at how quickly he made the decision to retire from hockey. He spoke from a place of altruism, because he's saving the Devils the cap space. He also wanted to go home to play hockey, and already had most of his money from his NHL deal.

There's also the rumors and Rumblings of him having problems with coaches and **** in the KHL. I wouldn't want him on my team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad