Would you trade Ristolainen for 1st overall?

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
Understand this about the people who actually make these decisions, as opposed to the people having fun woolgathering in their spare time: they do this for a living in the real world. There are pressures in the real world, where -- if you're smart -- you simply do not swap out a well-suited, critical, hard-to-find piece for a maybe-even-better piece.

It's likely that betting on Matthews is a good bet, but there's also a possibility that he's Alexandre Daigle. The only 'sure thing' is a bet that's already paying off. Maybe Matthews is almost certainly a winning PowerBall ticket -- but Risto is a winning Megamillions ticket already in our pocket.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
It's fair though to suggest that Matthews and Eichel would be closer to Malkin/Crosby then they would be RNH and Hall.

That's not the point though when we say Edmonton 2.0. It's putting all your chips in one basket(for example; forwards) and hoping that "the defense will sort itself out".

To win the championship, you need to focus on all aspects of the team not just forwards or just defense or just the goaltender.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Here's a question are you all saying no because we need Risto more or because he's the better player then Matthews.

I'm saying no because of the idea of building a team. It's not necessarily that Risto is better, it's because of what Risto brings to the team and his current/future role to the team.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
91+% said no and the simple fact is look at Edmonton. How many top of the draft forwards on that roster? Teams need balance. You can't give away a true #1 defenseman for a projected elite forward. Scoring is way down so until they change something to open the game up (it's never gonna be a video game) then protecting your own end is exceptionally important. I keep Risto and pick whomever at 2, 5, 7, whenever I pick.

The Sabres builds around Risto, Eichel, ROR and I'd love to see another stud defenseman added. I have a feeling the league will address the lowering goal total in some way soon.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Taking in Ristolainen's development up until now and his potential to develop further, the answer is an easy no. This is more about Risto's importance to the team, defenseman taking longer to develop than forwards, and the overall age of the team when they're ready to compete (Risto, Eichel, Reinhart, ROR all growing together as a team)

Considering all those things together, trading Risto for a draft pick is a non-starter.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Here's a question are you all saying no because we need Risto more or because he's the better player then Matthews.

There are a few factors for me, but the biggest one is that the Sabres have enough top end centers and they don't need to trade away their best D to add another high end F.

Especially given that the Sabres might have a top 3 OV pick of their own to add a top end winger.

The key core pieces to build around are two elite two-way centers and two elite two-way defensemen. The Sabres have the centers in place with ROR and Eichel. The Sabres have one of those D in Ristolainen.

Trading away your one elite D for a 3rd elite C doesn't make sense when building a team.

For me, the more interesting conversation would be whether the Sabres should trade Reinhart for an elite LHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad