Proposal: Would you trade Price to Philadelphia?

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
Leighton was on an all-star team. He was an awful goalie that played behind a team that scored a lot of goals, had forwards who played well in their own end, and was behind a very tough and stingy defense. However, when it came down to it and they finally faced a team that could cope with the amount of talent in their roster, they lost because Chicago got better goaltending.

Marginal? Ok.

Halak gets a former 13th overall pick plus a prospect.
Ben BISHOP gets a 2nd rounder
Jonathan BERNIER gets a 2nd rounder plus a good young player (Frattin)
Corey Schneider gets a top 10 pick.
Luongo gets at the time, a premiere power forward, a promising shut down defenseman and another player.
Anders Lindback gets a 2nd round pick.
Varlarmov got a bundle of picks, including a 1st rounder.

None of these goalies, including Luongo at the time, had any body of work that really said anything other than potential to be good. Halak never had a full season workload; Same as Schneider. Luongo never played the play-offs. Bernier, Bishop, Lindback etc. all got 2nd round picks despite not doing anything other than being back-ups that teams were willing to gamble on.

Like I said, marginal. Schneider has been one of the top goalies in the league numbers wise and he netted one 1st rd pick, yay!!!!!2nd round picks, really, buy a lottery ticket.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Like I said, marginal. Schneider has been one of the top goalies in the league numbers wise and he netted one 1st rd pick, yay!!!!!2nd round picks, really, buy a lottery ticket.

He netted a TOP TEN Pick.. and he's never been a number goalie for an entire season. He's never even been a goalie to start and finish a play-offs series.

But yeah, they are marginal returns for the quality of the position. It should say to you that teams without goaltending, value it highly, highly enough to trade away valuable picks for virtual unknowns in the most important position in hockey.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Tempting but not for that package. We have a logjam at center and also for left handed defense men. Timing is pretty much the issue with this proposal. Change Couts into a right handed scoring winger and Morin into a strong right handed top 4 prospect and I'm all for it.

NewHabsEra*

Yes, I said Dubnyk is better than Price. Fantastic job at reading what I wrote.

I supposed the trade I proposed equals out because Gionta is clearly better than Eberle, right?

Probably one of the more ignorant things I've read. Do you watch Dubnyk?

I watch Edmonton a fair amount, especially last year because of Yakupov and Eberle.

Dubnyk, like Price, has trouble with the "softie per game." However, aside from that, he consistently puts up as good of numbers as Price on team whose #1 defenseman for years was Ryan Whitney (who was hurt 75% of the time, by the way).

Ive watched Edmonton alot in the last couple of years and you have no clue what goaltending is about if you think Dubnyk is anything close to Carey Price.. Price giving up softies is a myth, he actually rarely does, even my brother who spent his entire junior carreer in net and doesnt like Carey Price at all for some reasons admits that he very rarely gets beat by weak shots or allow a goal he shouldnt have due to his great technical.. If you take a look at last game loss, thats the perfect sample of what Price has been used to defending the Habs net, lack of fortune and bad mistakes that the opponents make us pay badly.. 4 goals allowed and there is no way you can say he has been weak on any of them.. 1 goal from the crease where we allowed Phaneuf to take all the time he wanted to snipe it top corner, a 2 on 1 where the puck came back on the Leafs stick after a blocked pass, that goal was all about badluck, there is nothing he could do once again.. One breakaway and one 5 on 3 goal.. Typical game Price is used to and while Price bashers will only focuss on the 4 goals against and try to convince themself that there is at least 1 he should have stopped, they forget all the great saves he made all the game long that an average starter with average technical like Dubnyk wouldnt have made..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
yes lol goalie are overrated, the difference between price and budja is very small
Yeah right... and I've got some swampland to sell you.

Budaj might play up to Price on a given game but over the course of say 60 games a year (less than what Price plays) the guy will get smoked.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How funny would it be to see the guys saying trade Price whine about how we don't have a goalie anymore.

It's very easy to watch highlights throughout the league of some good performances.
Anderson has a great game one night, you see the highlights.
The next night, you see Lundqvist make crazy saves. The next one, Rinne.

But follow these guys every single night, judging their every move, and you'll see it's all the same thing.

Goaltending is the position fans know how to evaluate the least. Actually, very few know how to evaluate it at all.

Westcoasthabsfan

Aug 22, 2004
In Pandoras Box
Would you trade Price to Philadelphia for...

Sean Couturier + Samuel Morin + 1st round draft pick in 2014?

Nope...why would the habs trade their number one goalie to a conference rival, someone they may or may not be fighting for a playoff spot, for a third line checking forward, a propsect and a draft pick...imagine having to go with Budaj and Tokarski the rest of the way....

Number one goalies dont grow on trees why would they give it away with no replacement waiting in the wings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad