Speculation: Would you trade Fowler for Nino Neiderreiter??

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
First off, I come in peace. I like Cam, and was highly pissed when my Islanders claimed Nino over him their draft year. We can all go to the stat sheets to see what has happened since then. I do think your team put Cam in the NHL too early, and I say that having watched Anaheim games every year, not because a stat line tells me his +/- is worse than what one might hope for.

So on my home board, after the whole Nino trade demand thing, the issue of Fowler vs. Nino came up and of course there is a small debate between the two camps. That made me think the best place to get some real input about the comparison would be your board, not to mention I haven't read any recent thoughts from your regulars about him.

So I am asking all of you if you would even consider the deal, or what it would take to make it happen, now that Nino has asked for a trade. Thanks in advance for not taking this as a trolling.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
First off, I come in peace. I like Cam, and was highly pissed when my Islanders claimed Nino over him their draft year. We can all go to the stat sheets to see what has happened since then. I do think your team put Cam in the NHL too early, and I say that having watched Anaheim games every year, not because a stat line tells me his +/- is worse than what one might hope for.

So on my home board, after the whole Nino trade demand thing, the issue of Fowler vs. Nino came up and of course there is a small debate between the two camps. That made me think the best place to get some real input about the comparison would be your board, not to mention I haven't read any recent thoughts from your regulars about him.

So I am asking all of you if you would even consider the deal, or what it would take to make it happen, now that Nino has asked for a trade. Thanks in advance for not taking this as a trolling.

Not a chance.

If you guys are looking for a young promising defenseman look to our prospects. Sami Vatanen or Hampus Lindholm. I'm sure they Ducks would certainly be interested in Nino as I recall they were very interested pre draft. However, we are not going to mortgage our proven young stud for Nino who has yet to make a significant impact granted he has a lot of time to change that.

I would offer Vatanen plus a pick or another roster player like Beleskey for Nino but you can pretty much forget about Fowler.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Nope, the phone would be back on the hook as soon as Fowler's name came up. Everyone who doesn't watch him play just quotes the +/- as if it tells the whole story. The kid is 21 and is already a top pairing dman.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai

You're not going to see any debate here. There's just no way we'd trade Fowler for Niederreiter.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
So on my home board, after the whole Nino trade demand thing, the issue of Fowler vs. Nino came up and of course there is a small debate between the two camps.

Holy hell. The fact that there even is the smallest of debates, or that there are "two camps" on that question is pretty sad. Fowler is worlds away in terms of value, at this point. I suppose there's always people that try to base an argument on draft position, but come on.

JabbaJabba

Dec 22, 2010
Finland
Fowler is a very good NHL player, Nino has the potential to be but right now he isn't even close to it. This is pretty easy no. Also, trading Fowler would leave the team without a solid puckmover.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Holy hell. The fact that there even is the smallest of debates, or that there are "two camps" on that question is pretty sad. Fowler is worlds away in terms of value, at this point. I suppose there's always people that try to base an argument on draft position, but come on.

I am in the pro-Fowler camp, so I wouldn't want to speak for the other side. I still shake my head over what went down that draft. If it is ok with you guys, I'd like to link to this thread for the other side's opinion so to speak, but it could also cause some high energy discussions. Would that be ok?

pesko

Sep 14, 2004
I like Nino, but there's no way he'd match Fowler in value right now. While Fowler arguably was rushed into NHL, he's handled himself well, while Niederreiter was without a doubt brought into the league too early and misused in the fourth line position, which IMO may have set back his development for a long time.

Force951

Jul 17, 2009
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I am in the pro-Fowler camp, so I wouldn't want to speak for the other side. I still shake my head over what went down that draft. If it is ok with you guys, I'd like to link to this thread for the other side's opinion so to speak, but it could also cause some high energy discussions. Would that be ok?

Just create a Poll in the NHL Poll forum, that way they can see fans of other teams saying that it isn't even close as well.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I like Nino, but there's no way he'd match Fowler in value right now. While Fowler arguably was rushed into NHL, he's handled himself well, while Niederreiter was without a doubt brought into the league too early and misused in the fourth line position, which IMO may have set back his development for a long time.

Nino failed gloriously in the NHL, but he picked right back up in the AHL this season so I am not overly worried about him being ruined by the bad season. The consensus is that is why his agent pushed the "Trade Me" button after he was bypassed for a camp invite despite impressive AHL numbers. I think he will be a very good wing one day, possibly as soon as two years from now. And this is from someone who would still take Cam over Nino 7 days a week.

I think I am going to link between the two threads because I want Islander fans to see opinions of folks who watched him every game. If Cam had some horrible defect in his game, certainly, you guys would be all over it.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany

Don't think there's anything wrong with it, so it would all be up to whether the discussion remains within the rules. :)

But to be honest, I don't even see the potential for any high energy discussion. There isn't even an argument for Nino - the best the other side could be gunning for (at this point) is an argument against Fowler via bad +/- and him slipping in the draft, and either of those points are so easily taken apart, that I can't really see how it could get remotely heated. (And that isn't a knock on Niederreiter, actually. I wouldn't worry about him too much due to the rookie season, and think he'll be a good player; but for now, Fowler's clearly on another level.)

Well, easy for me to allow the discussion, when I'm on the verge of hitting the sheets, leaving any potential mess for my colleagues. ;) But I'm sure things will be fine.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
LOL. No ****ing way. The Islanders looked bad for passing on Fowler at the draft, and they still do look bad.

Edit: Please don't take this as me saying Nino is a bad player or is going to have a bad career. I actually think, judging off his AHL season this year, that he's going to be a nice top 6 (most likely 2nd line) winger. He will just never be more valuable than a young defenseman that's as good as Cam is already.

Last edited:

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Not a chance, Fowlers potential is through the roof, he's already a good #2-3 guy at the age of 21, there's no way we trade him for someone who has top 6 upside but hasn't achieved anything yet.

Vatanen + a pick is the highest I'd go. Maybe Nino + for Sbisa depending on what the + is.

LOL. No ****ing way. The Islanders looked bad for passing on Fowler at the draft, and they still do look bad.

It could be worse - at least they didn't pass him over for McIlrath lol. The Rangers made the bigger mistake in that case IMO.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Not a chance, Fowlers potential is through the roof, he's already a good #2-3 guy at the age of 21, there's no way we trade him for someone who has top 6 upside but hasn't achieved anything yet.

Vatanen + a pick is the highest I'd go. Maybe Nino + for Sbisa depending on what the + is.

It could be worse - at least they didn't pass him over for McIlrath lol. The Rangers made the bigger mistake in that case IMO.

The Stars picking Jack Campbell (with Lehtonen entering his prime) over Fowler is also pretty hilarious right now.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think Nino can be a good player(and given the opportunity, and the time, I think that's what he will be), but at this point there is just no way Nino could get Fowler. I'm sure plenty of the people arguing that Nino could are pointing to draft position, but at this point it seems pretty clear that Fowler's drop was undeserved. His play in the NHL should definitely overshadow any drop in the draft.

Edit: Also, A Pointed Stick, while Fowler's +/- could certainly be used as an argument against his defensive game in his first season, I definitely would not make the same argument in his second. For those that believe in Corsi, his QoC was pretty poor in the first season, but it was quite high in his second. Anaheim threw him out against the toughest competition, and really, he did a pretty good job(particularly when Hiller got his game together and stopped giving up softies). Anyone who looks at his second season, and compares it to his first with no context is making a mistake.

Last edited:

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
I remember watching that draft and thinking "this can't possibly happen" So excited when we were up because I knew Bob would choose Cam with Nieds retiring etc.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

The Rags made a huge mistake. If my team had chosen just one more slot later, and Cam had gone already and we took Nino I would not have an issue with our first pick.

I guess there is the consolation that we weren't alone. I am still waiting to hear why so many teams passed on Fowler. I watched him at the WJCs and figured he'd go before our spot. Then he was there waiting for us and bam, Snow chooses Nino. How deflating.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I remember watching that draft and thinking "this can't possibly happen" So excited when we were up because I knew Bob would choose Cam with Nieds retiring etc.

When the day started, I thought we were going to take the Etem at 12 :laugh:

Corey Perry*

**** no. Our best defenseman (on a D corps that's not exactly filled with guys with offensive upside), for a winger (Our strongest position), who only had 1 goal in 55 games (granted, on the 4th line, but if you're supposedly good enough to warrant a top 4 defenseman with #1 upside, you should at least be able to get 1 assist), and has an attitude problem (anybody who asks for a trade isn't exactly "team first").

Get outta here!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad