Would you trade Caufield for the 2nd overall pick?

Would you trade Caufield for 2nd overall pick?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I would pull the trigger and pick both Wright and Cooley (but you can pick any combination if you want). Yeah, that means we'd have three great centers for the next 15 years.

Wingers can be found later.

I think Caufield is great but overrated by Montreal fans, and we'd be better off with another top pick.

Reactions: bbfan419

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why the irrational love for Caufield? Sounds like we have a new mythology in there. Next thing you know Montreal fans wouldn't trade Caufield for McDavid.

I like Caufield. But if NJ give us Cooley for him you pull the trigger. Come on.

Reactions: bbfan419

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Caufield is young, electric and somewhat proven. He also seems to mesh well with MSL and Suzuki.

Cooley is an unknown, obviously very talented, but far from a proven top6 NHLer like Caufield.

Not a prospect expert, but the chance that Cooley busts and Caufield becomes a 40 goal guy are higher than the chance Caufield busts and Cooley becomes a 70+ point C. In my opinion.

No.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Why the irrational love for Caufield? Sounds like we have a new mythology in there. Next thing you know Montreal fans wouldn't trade Caufield for McDavid.

I like Caufield. But if NJ give us Cooley for him you pull the trigger. Come on.
focus-homer-simpson.gif

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

I like Caufield. But if NJ give us Cooley for him you pull the trigger.
Maybe it’s because Caufield has already scored 20 goals in the NHL and many are projecting will be a 40-goal guy as early as next season?

He’s the most dynamic forward we’ve had since Kovalev.

Neither Slafkovsky or Cooley IMO project to have the kind of offensive ceiling Caufield has.

What’s the point, to draft Slaf 2nd overall and then just have the RW position to fill now instead of LW?

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Why? Please elaborate what Cooley has shown you that makes you think he will be clearly better than Caufield.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Why? Please elaborate what Cooley has shown you that makes you think he will be clearly better than Caufield.

Better defensive game, higher IQ, plays a more important position, without giving too much in terms of offensive upside.

Maybe it’s because Caufield has already scored 20 goals in the NHL and many are projecting will be a 40-goal guy as early as next season?

He’s the most dynamic forward we’ve had since Kovalev.

Neither Slafkovsky or Cooley IMO project to have the kind of offensive ceiling Caufield has.

What’s the point, to draft Slaf 2nd overall and then just have the RW position to fill now instead of LW?

Good points.

Imagine being the New Jersey Devils and having the opportunity to re-unit Jack Hughes and Cole Caufield for a draft pick.

I don't think they would do it.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Caufield is young, electric and somewhat proven. He also seems to mesh well with MSL and Suzuki.

Cooley is an unknown, obviously very talented, but far from a proven top6 NHLer like Caufield.

Not a prospect expert, but the chance that Cooley busts and Caufield becomes a 40 goal guy are higher than the chance Caufield busts and Cooley becomes a 70+ point C. In my opinion.

No.

Fair points.

Reactions: Canadienna

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
It's not irrational to value him over Cooley or another prospect.

In his draft year and at the same level, Caufield scored three fewer GOALS than Cooley had points, and then he went on to have a great college career, win the Hobey Baker, adjust to the NHL well as a rookie, had a huge series vs. Vegas, and any early-season concerns this year were demonstrated to be the result of a dinosaur coach who was fired midseason.

We already have Suzuki on the team with the freedom to pick either Wright or Cooley in this year's draft at #1. Maybe Cooley becomes the better player, and if he develops into a true #1C then sure, that's a better player than Caufield who has a 1st line but probably not elite ceiling as a winger. But what if he doesn't?

That's really the core issue here, the risk profile in switching Caufield's higher level of certainty or Cooley's entire range of possibilities as a player who hasn't proven anything at this time is a huge gamble with questionable upside unless you are so high on Cooley's ceiling you think he has a chance to be a true superstar in this league.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
...Jersey would, imo, trade the pick to reunite them in a microsecond, especially since they already have Hughes and Hischer in their Top 6...we, on the other hand, shouldn't touch that trade for the exact reasons JGRB stated above...no bueno for us, that trade is...
madness...they'd be all over that.
Let's go in their section and make a poll.

• Haha
Reactions: jaffy27 and ArtPeur

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I mean, I could say the same thing here about you and Cooley - who btw, you're assuming is going #2.

This really has nothing to do with having irrational love for Caufield, and more to do with having rational thought period.

Why would we want to trade a recent 1st round pick who just completed his first NHL season with 23 goals, for Logan Cooley whose numbers at the same level as Caufield, pale in comparison.

I get it's draft time and we're in rapture with prospects right now.

But come on man.

Let's go in their section and make a poll.
I don't care about what they think all due respect...my opinion is independent of what New Jersey Devils fans think.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I mean, I could say the same thing here about you and Cooley - who btw, you're assuming is going #2.

This really has nothing to do with having irrational love for Caufield, and more to do with having rational thought period.

Why would we want to trade a recent 1st round pick who just completed his first NHL season with 23 goals, for Logan Cooley whose numbers at the same level as Caufield, pale in comparison.

I get it's draft time and we're in rapture with prospects right now.

But come on man.

I don't even like Cooley all that much. I'm just shaking the hive for fun. I don't think Caufield is this megasuperstar untradable prospect that many seem to think he is around here. Maybe I went too far in this thread, because yeah, probably Caufield is a safer value right now than Cooley, but it's still a trade to consider.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't even like Cooley all that much. I'm just shaking the hive for fun. I don't think Caufield is this megasuperstar untradable prospect that many seem to think he is around here. Maybe I went too far in this thread, because yeah, probably Caufield is a safer value right now than Cooley, but it's still a trade to consider.
I realize you're just having fun - all good.

I also didn't say Caufield is a mega-superstar untradeable prospect.

I just said I wouldn't trade him for the #2 overall pick.

I don't even think it's a trade to even consider to be honest, I wouldn't give it a half second thought more if asked. No disrespect to you.

For the record, there isn't anyone on this roster I wouldn't trade, for the right price, including Caufield.

But this ain't it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig