Would you take any of these players who have been bought out.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
I would love Lecavalier. A couple years too late, but he's still a Top 20-30 C in the league, and would help us remain competitive for a playoff spot during our current transition phase. The funny thing about the Lecavalier buyout is that his next cap hit likely won't be much different than the cap hit the Bolts just bought him out of, but a shorter term.

I thought he looked outstanding last year though despite some injury issues and despite playing a secondary role behind the Stamkos/St. Louis pairing. He's immediately the top FA available.

I guess it will depend on if he's looking to go to a contender on a cut-rate deal or if he's looking to maximize his remaining value in term/$$.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Lecav, Richards (if he's bought out), Bryz, or Briere can still help a team win games. I'd consider any one for a short term deal.

Kaberle, not so much.

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Better question. Which of these players near the end of their careers are going to want to come to a non competitive rebuilding team for probably the next 4 years?

The answer: None.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Better question. Which of these players near the end of their careers are going to want to come to a non competitive rebuilding team for probably the next 4 years?

They've all won cups, though, so it's not like they're desperate. Maybe they are looking for money and a place where they'll be appreciated. That might be especially true of Richards.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

They need to rejuvenate their careers. Prove their not washed up. I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't take a 1 yr deal

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I'd only like Vincent if we can sign him to a short-term deal. What about Olesz or Montador?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
They need to rejuvenate their careers. Prove their not washed up. I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't take a 1 yr deal

Kind of like Tanguay did. I agree with you and would love to sign either of them to a 1 year deal. The dollar figure is not a big deal, but the 1 year thing is. We can offer the opportunity to be a 1st line center to them. That has to be our selling point.

The reason I like your concept of a 1 year deal is it allows us to flip them at the deadline to a cap strapped team. I'd offer either player 1 year at 5 million and an opportunity to center the top line and see 1st unit PP minutes. No "post apex" players should be coming to Calgary for more than 1 year IMO.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
I believe I heard a interview with Richards where he said Calgary was his second choice behind the rangers and the offer we made really made him think, so if the rangers buy him out and feaster still has interest even in our rebuild than I can see it happening, lecavleir I don't see coming to Calgary, IMO he is destined for one of Montreal or toronto

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The Flames number one priority should be to get their own guys under contract. Brodie and Backlund should be signed BEFORE we open up the vault for some guy who hasn't played a single shift for the Flames.

I think the Flames should make decisions on their own RFAs and UFAs and get the ones that they want signed. Then on say August 1st start looking at UFAs that got passed over and would be willing to sign value type deals.

I want Backlund, Brodie, Bouma, Mcgrattan. Butler and Byron can go away.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I would love for Vinny or Richards to come here and help mentor guys like Backlund. I think Richards is a strong possibility if he is bought out. Vinny not so much, he will sign with a non hockey market.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Tanguay-Richards-Baertschi
GlenX-Lecavelier-Hudler
Drouin-Backlund-Stempniak
Begin/Horak/Hanowski-Stajan-McGrats/Aliu

Yeah... we traded up to 3rd pick btw :sarcasm:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Don't see Lecavalier coming to Calgary. He reportedly wants to sign with a contending team, but he's also looking at a long term deal.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him a 6-8yr/30-40M deal or more. I'm sure the Flames with Feaster at helm will go after him but if he's not willing to sign a short term deal, better if the organization moves on.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
They've all won cups, though, so it's not like they're desperate. Maybe they are looking for money and a place where they'll be appreciated. That might be especially true of Richards.

Briere is still cup-less, to my knowledge.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Don't see Lecavalier coming to Calgary. He reportedly wants to sign with a contending team, but he's also looking at a long term deal.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a team give him a 6-8yr/30-40M deal or more. I'm sure the Flames with Feaster at helm will go after him but if he's not willing to sign a short term deal, better if the organization moves on.

Jay "No-longer-targeting-post-apex-players" Feaster? I don't get the logic that if a GM has a certain strategy at one time, he will apply that strategy every season regardless of the team's situation. All of management has recognized that the situation has changed, and the strategy has also changed.

If we were getting Lecavalier, it would not be long-term, because we are a rebuilding team and that wouldn't help our rebuild strategy.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hopefully (if Richards is bought out) that we land one of these guys, if not get Filpula here. If Feaster can do that and Cammy isn't traded yet, maybe he would want to stay. Then we add Lindholm/Monohan and our roster isn't looking bad at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad