Speculation: Would you sign Duchene to a 8.5M X 7 contract this offseason? II

Would you sign Duchene to a 8.5 x 8 contract this offseason?

• Total voters

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
We can't sign him for 8 years to begin with…..and i highly doubt he gets more than 6 years on the free market.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Sign any of the best UFAs available and deal any redundancy caused by the signing in a trade to fill a glaring need.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Would I? Sure LOL but who cares really, the question is would MB...?

I think he's scared of impending raises to... well... pretty much everyone and their dog in the Habs' core of young/youngish players - all through that potential Duchene contract period. Yeah the cap will go up, but should we start listing all those +$X.XM increases over the next 4-5 years to see how much that exceeds $9M and change otherwise given to Duchene?

As long as Price & Weber are on this team with their contracts, I don't think MB splurges into UFA world. He's too conservative, risk-averse, cheap, call it whatever you want. I bet Molson loves it.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
In a heartbeat. We can't squander another opportunity like this. I mean yes. We can. But it would be much better not to lol. This really vaults us forward in the Shea, but especially Carey window and gives us a legit top line centre to add to an already impressive young core. Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Kotkaniemi and hopefully Suzuki soon. Pretty damn exciting regardless but things get real better real fast of you add a talent like that up front.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
If we could (which I’m not sure we can) we definitely should.

Getting Duchene means we can move Danault in a deal for a LHD. Domi slots in at centre on the second line until Kotkaniemi is ready for top 6. One of Suzuki/Poehling slot in at 3C....

To start the year:

Tatar-Duchene-Gallagher
Drouin-Domi-Shaw
Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Byron-Poehling-Weal

To Finish*

Domi-Duchene-Gallagher
Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Drouin
Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia
Byron-Thompson-Weal

*assumes that Kotkaniemi can slot into 2C and Suzuki spends the year in AHL

Looking down the line, we should at least move one winger. Preference would sell as high as possible on Shaw....

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Would I? Sure LOL but who cares really, the question is would MB...?

I think he's scared of impending raises to... well... pretty much everyone and their dog in the Habs' core of young/youngish players - all through that potential Duchene contract period. Yeah the cap will go up, but should we start listing all those +$X.XM increases over the next 4-5 years to see how much that exceeds $9M and change otherwise given to Duchene?

As long as Price & Weber are on this team with their contracts, I don't think MB splurges into UFA world. He's too conservative, risk-averse, cheap, call it whatever you want. I bet Molson loves it.

If he was conservative and risk averse, he never would have traded Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'll be interested to see if any team offers him 7 years. Seems like the only recent ufas (last 2-3 summers)to get that were Tavares and Stamkos.

Reactions: Runner77

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
If he was conservative and risk averse, he never would have traded Subban, Sergachev, and Galchenyuk.

Depends how you view those I guess... were Subban's back problems not known before he was traded? Doesn't Weber play "conservative" compared with PK? As for Sergachev and Chucky, I think he realized they both weren't as reliable defensively and tried to cut his losses - the conservative way, with a fan-surefire in having franco Drouin come over and another safe/guaranteed value with Domi's warrior type of attitude (who luckily for us broke out in MTL).

Maybe we're in for a major trade or two within the next 6 weeks, who knows.. it's a crapshoot from this vantage point.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I'll be interested to see if any team offers him 7 years. Seems like the only recent ufas (last 2-3 summers)to get that were Tavares and Stamkos.

If Lucic can get 7 years
Duchene can

having said that, i hope the contract we offer to Duchene is 5 years, 6 years tops

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
If Lucic can get 7 years
Duchene can

having said that, i hope the contract we offer to Duchene is 5 years, 6 years tops
Teams have been more disciplined recently, because of regrettable deals like the Lucic one.

Usually depends how many teams are interested so maybe someone goes over 5 years for Duchene. The player (and his agent) are the winners of a bidding war.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Teams have been more disciplined recently, because of regrettable deals like the Lucic one.

Usually depends how many teams are interested so maybe someone goes over 5 years for Duchene. The player (and his agent) are the winners of a bidding war.

Yup... pretty much describing the UFA process there bud..
Every single case is practically a bidding war lol..

Reactions: Chili

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad