Would you sign Duchene / Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Pretty much. Beggars can't be choosers.

As our C.O.O said, we have to make the cap floor. I'd rather that money be spent on on one of those guys instead of a couple of chumps who are stupid enough to sigh here in free agency.

Exactly where I'm at. Even if that "just" means re-signing Dzingel and Nilsson, it's likely better than anything we could realistically attract on the market.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Why would we want to sign Dzingel if Duchene and Stone are getting traded?

Because as our COO eloquently pointed out, we need to hit the cap floor. And personally, I'd much rather do that by signing Dzingel than having to trade for a Clarkson/Franzen LTIR deal or trade for a mediocre Boedker-esque player (guy who makes less than his cap hit).

At least we can watch Dzingel for the next few years and get some entertainment out of that.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Because as our COO eloquently pointed out, we need to hit the cap floor. And personally, I'd much rather do that by signing Dzingel than having to trade for a Clarkson/Franzen LTIR deal or trade for a mediocre Boedker-esque player (guy who makes less than his cap hit).

At least we can watch Dzingel for the next few years and get some entertainment out of that.
An eight year extension for Ceci will probably take the Sens to the cap floor..

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Trade dzinglw for a 1st

And bring on deadweight contracts for picks to hit the floor

Reactions: Alex1234

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Trade dzinglw for a 1st

And bring on deadweight contracts for picks to hit the floor

If a 1st is on the table, I think we 100 percent trade him. That is our supposed ask.

If a 1st isn't on the table, and we're getting rid of Duchene, Stone, and everybody else, we'll pay Dzingel what he wants because we will have very few players to spend our money on with all those guys gone. It turns into a can't lose situation because even if he never scores 30 goals again (as he is projected to now) we wouldn't have anybody to use that money on anyways....if he does continue to play at his current level he becomes a much more valuable asset (whether we keep him long term or trade him later on).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Exactly where I'm at. Even if that "just" means re-signing Dzingel and Nilsson, it's likely better than anything we could realistically attract on the market.

I think keeping Dzingel (assuming it's a very reasonable contract) and possibly Nilsson (if he continues to show he's legit) would be a decent option.

Duchene is a one man highlight reel, and fun to watch, but he's a terrible guy to help develop the kids for that very reason. It was the same with Erik...most players just stand there and watch the star do his thing with the puck (not dissing Erik here). If we're going to have veterans, we need guys who involve and engage the kids on the ice, and help make them better. Stone would be a great option for that....but he's also the best one to possibly bring us a few really good pieces in a trade.

Yashole

Feb 10, 2018
I am not going to read every thread, so if this has been brought up I am sorry.

Is anyone else worried about what stone might look like in 3-4 years? Skating?

Ryan, Lucic, Callahan, Heatly, Richards....

Duchene will be elite till he is in his late 30’s. Not sure stone will be.

I think stone is a top player in the game right now and his value has never been higher. Trade him for all you can.

Ink Duchene and Dzingel and move on.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008

I think stone is a top player in the game right now and his value has never been higher. Trade him for all you can.

Dislike

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Stone's hockey iq will ensure he remains a high end player. Silly to not have Stone has priority #1

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Stone is good without good skating, that's not going to change as he gets older. Everyone's skating slows down, but what makes Stone special is his head, and that won't slow down until he gets to his 60's.

As Duchene get's older, his game will become slower as he relies on his edges and skating so much.

There aren't many elite skating older guys.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
8 year 8.75 AAV for both announced by next Friday thanks, followed by Stone being handed the captains C in the same press conference, let’s go!

giphy.gif

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Stone is a force on the ice because of his positioning, ability to knock down pucks, ability to read plays both offensively and defensively and transition in both directions, just to name a few things. In short, he has insane hockey IQ that makes him dangerous. His game has never been predicated on his skating ability so it's really not a point of concern. If he loses his incredible hand eye coordination all of a sudden, then I'd be worried.

Reactions: aragorn

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Well assuming I have a brain, stone/Duchene would have been signed in the summer to long term deals so there would have been zero distractions during the season about pending UFAs and all that Jazz. But not all of us have brains so here we are...

J0sh

Jul 12, 2015
Anyone else find it weird that Matthews/Tavares "took a discount" and got over 11 mill but duchene/stone are believed to be getting around 8-9mill? Either the Toronto media is being ridiculous or Dorion is trying to negotiate through the media.

Or Toronto got ripped off.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver

I’ve thought of this. I think Stone’s hockey sense is so good that it won’t matter. Skating has never been his strength to begin with. Even if he ends up popping around 40-50 points and can contribute on both special teams into his late 30’s I’m fine with that. If Duchene lost his speed he’s nowhere near as effective. And while at some point he likely will as he reaches the twilight of his career, the bar is so high now that I doubt it’ll be that big of a drop to make a massive difference in production from his career average. Granted if he were to get a severe lower body injury at some point, that could change things. Same goes for Dzingel.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Can anyone tell me how many guys break out at 28 during a UFA year and continue to produce at that level? Giving Duchene a huge contract is a massive risk and history says a big mistake. I hope he is traded.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Can anyone tell me how many guys break out at 28 during a UFA year and continue to produce at that level? Giving Duchene a huge contract is a massive risk and history says a big mistake. I hope he is traded.

Doesn't matter if he doesn't want to stay at any price

Reactions: Spartachat

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Brent Burns maybe?

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
If a 1st is on the table, I think we 100 percent trade him. That is our supposed ask.

If a 1st isn't on the table, and we're getting rid of Duchene, Stone, and everybody else, we'll pay Dzingel what he wants because we will have very few players to spend our money on with all those guys gone. It turns into a can't lose situation because even if he never scores 30 goals again (as he is projected to now) we wouldn't have anybody to use that money on anyways....if he does continue to play at his current level he becomes a much more valuable asset (whether we keep him long term or trade him later on).

Being left with Dzingel out of the three big UFAs is a lose-lose situation for anyone that watches this team.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
How are people so sure of Dzingel while questioning Duchene, and sillier still, Stone?

Seems like dissonance to me. Guy has just turned into a middle of the pack NHL goal scorer at 26.

If he scores 30 this year, who is to say that's not his career year?

Duchene and Stone are all that matter here.

Dzingel would be a nice complimentary player/asset to keep around for the right term and price.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

If he can produce at around 70 points average for the next five years and then slowly tapers off for the last three, it's worth every penny. You can't expect to ever be a contender in this league unless you pay your under-30 top line talent. If you think constantly throwing kids into roles they aren't ready or suited for is what will bring us a cup, you're fooling yourself.

Not to mention what we already gave up for Duchene, it's a travesty to entertain trading him as a rental for what would likely be a much lesser return.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Being left with Dzingel out of the three big UFAs is a lose-lose situation for anyone that watches this team.

Can't lose in the context of weighing the pros and cons of that one decision. Obviously it's not a positive if we are only able to sign the guy who is an extremely distant third among our three UFAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad