Would you sign a petition to replace Ken Holland?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It would be nice to see this petition before the streak ends so they can't just blame it on backlash for missing the playoffs

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Absolutely not. IF there is a suitable candidate to replace him (Steve Yzerman, maybe?), then replace him. If it's dumping him for the sake of dumping him, then no.

Ken Holland is still a good GM. If you kick him out without a plan because you just want change, then the team will suck even more than you think they do now.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Absolutely not. IF there is a suitable candidate to replace him (Steve Yzerman, maybe?), then replace him. If it's dumping him for the sake of dumping him, then no.

Ken Holland is still a good GM. If you kick him out without a plan because you just want change, then the team will suck even more than you think they do now.

This.

He's not building a contender, but at least he's drafting decently. There are worse GMs and barring the availability of a better GM out there, there's no reason to boot him without a good replacement plan.

That's just the sad reality. It's like, some players on our team are not good. But if they're better than all our other options then you just have to keep them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ideally, I would like a more creative and aggressive GM. And I'd like to keep Holland around specifically to advise on the draft, and everything that goes along with it.

Not sure I'd trust Ryan Martin to take over, would probably prefer an external candidate. So it would kind of depend on what options are out there.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Yes. Much like Babcock, it's his time to move on. I don't disagree with people saying he's a good GM, just after awhile people get comfortable, and there is no real drive to be the best anymore. I am sure he could go on and make another team great, I just don't see him making Detroit great.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Voted no. I have a hunch this will be a very active offseason. This year has been the most frustrating season in recent memory, Detroit has a lot of issues. It's not too late to right the ship, but the margin for error is slim. Like so many other posters have said, have to start being proactive and make some difficult decisions.

I don't have facts to support my prediction, just a feeling. I have to believe that management is witnessing the same train wreck on the backend that we are, something needs to be done.

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
Stevie Y is under contract with another team that is happy with his services. You can't bring him back if he isn't available.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Not to argue with you, but hopefully to get you to elaborate:

What do you think Holland is doing well? and are you saying you don't think anybody else available could do it as well?

Am busy right now. But will elaborate later.

Probably my biggest reason though is that change for changes sake is not what the Wings need.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This.

He's not building a contender, but at least he's drafting decently. There are worse GMs and barring the availability of a better GM out there, there's no reason to boot him without a good replacement plan.

That's just the sad reality. It's like, some players on our team are not good. But if they're better than all our other options then you just have to keep them.

There's plenty of guys working in NHL organizations that could hold down the GM role. Guys with tons of experience in management and who wouldn't be rooted so deeply with the ties of the franchise and the players they could make professional decisions.

Just as an example of why fresh blood may be good, off the top of my head...
the Nieuwendyk tenure in Dallas was considered underwhelming, until you consider many of the cornerstone pieces he put into place are why they are a top team right now, like Klingberg. He also drafted some first round duds. And he made some gutsy calls. When Modano was up for a new contract, he let him walk. A guy he played with, personal friends, won a Cup together, and was the most celebrated player in franchise history. One of the greatest Americans to ever touch the ice. Of course Modano ended up in Detroit in that year... but I digress. Can you imagine Holland making that kind of call with Zetterberg? He couldn't even do it to Dan Cleary. GM Joe knew the franchise needed to move on from legacy if it was truly going to move forward. Nill obviously has helped polish out the rough edges down there, but the team Dallas is now is because somebody stepped up and said it's time to look to the future.

Fresh eyes aren't necessarily better, but they do come with advantages if you pick the right person. I think we're so accustomed to the idea of permanence and slow changes with the Wings we forget other teams change GMs more than the Wings change coaches. Some of those teams are worse. But some are better. Because they keep looking for that right guy and right fit to improve.

If a talented individual comes along or is making a case in the Wings organization, I think we're past the point of letting Dallas and Tampa leach all that talent. The Wings need that talent here.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
the time to "bring Yzerman back" was before he left. Letting him go to another team was a huge mistake even if it meant snubbing Holland at the time. Was in favor of it then and would still make the move without a second thought if available. But its not at least not yet.

That is probably the plan, let Holland make the playoffs as many time as he can until Yzerman's contract is up.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That is probably the plan, let Holland make the playoffs as many time as he can until Yzerman's contract is up.

I don't think that's the plan. I think Yzerman is making his own legacy in Tampa. Why come back when you've got a team you're been nurturing into your own vision for years?

I mean, for Pete's sake, he even redesigned the damn Bolts jerseys to be more like the Wings. Right down to the logo. That literally putting your stamp on the franchise.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Even if I wanted him gone that badly, it would be a waste of time and effort. You might as well sign a petition to get Ilitch to fire himself.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I don't think many of you guys quite get it. The Detroit Red Wings are a fantastically successful organization. The guy making it happen isn't going to get fired.

The Ilitches don't owe you guys anything. They could have used the team to print money for them. But no, they've brought incredible success to the Wings. Now, you may second guess their choice to run the team but I'm not.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I don't think many of you guys quite get it. The Detroit Red Wings are a fantastically successful organization. The guy making it happen isn't going to get fired.

Over the entire timeline? God yes. Amazingly good.

The last 5 years of that timeline? Ehhhhhhhh. There's enough evidence that doubts are warranted. Pitchforks, maybe not, but serious concerns. And remember, back in like 2011-2012 I was the most homer homer that ever homered according to some around here. Not like I didn't start out feeling pretty good about where things were.

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
He just signed a new contract. He is very good and there isn't really much others out there to replace him with.

The only other options are Jim Nill and Steve Yzerman.

Unless Hakan Andersson magically wants to try something new.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
He just signed a new contract.

The only other options are Jim Nill and Steve Yzerman.

Unless Hakan Andersson magically wants to try something new.

Why do you say that? Does no other NHL team have guys working for them that are stuck behind entrenched general managers the way Yzerman and Nill were?

I'm not saying anybody is better than Holland, but the idea that nobody else in the world could handle the job as well... I find it a stretch.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

The Ilitches don't owe you guys anything. They could have used the team to print money for them. But no, they've brought incredible success to the Wings. Now, you may second guess their choice to run the team but I'm not.

Actually, they owe us a lot. First, they didn't make their money by magically wishing for it, but through tax abuses, exploitation of workers, over charging at their sporting events. Without us they would be nothing.

Second, since they are selling us a product, if we are unsatisfied with that product we have a right to complain about it. Doubly when my tax money goes to help them build a new venue for said product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad