Would You Rather...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just for fun. Now that the rebuild has entered a different stage after the deadline and the kids all brought up, would you rather:

1) have the team tank straight to 30th (and win the lottery) with the current batch of kids showing flashes, but otherwise still very raw, and obtain Auston Matthews.

Or

2) Discover that entire program is actually much stronger than first believed, and Nylander, Kapanen, Sparks, Leivo, Hyman, Carrick, etc. are actually much further along in development and watch the Leafs rise in standings and take themselves out of a top 5 pick?

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
If Kapanen turns out to be a 1st line winger, Nylander a franchise worthy center and Sparks a legit starter etc. Well I have to go with that.

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
#1 because
if #2 happened I'd send them down to the Marlies
Lol I agree. Let them play their games, send em back down, bring up a few other guys maybe. Keep the tank moving. Let them win in the ahl.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I'll decide after tonights game ok?

No way Kap is as good as he looked last game.......right?

Holy crap am I excited to watch these guys again tonight (could be disappointing I know)

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Tough one. Scenario 2 is definitely interesting since it'd be the kids leading the way. I'd also love to win the lottery...but, it would be even greater to do it without finishing 30th. (though Matthews obviously isn't possible if we finish where scenario 2 projects)

Last edited:

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Tough one. Scenario 2 is definitely interesting since it'd be the kids leading the way. I'd also love to win the lottery...but, it would be even greater to do it without finishing last.

K I change my answer.. Let's do that. No more leafs losses for the rest of season and fluke out on the lottery :D

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I'd have the situation #2. Everyone is going to say that he's a generational talent and build him up, but if #2 is true that means that all the scouts within the organization are doing their jobs and not just Hunter.

That means that they're finding talent beyond the 1st round, their signing young free agents (Soshnikov, Zaitsev) and when they're making trades, they're getting a really solid assets coming back.

Auston Matthews is going to be really really good and I'd love to have him. But the whole equals the sum of its parts.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Just for fun. Now that the rebuild has entered a different stage after the deadline and the kids all brought up, would you rather:

1) have the team tank straight to 30th (and win the lottery) with the current batch of kids showing flashes, but otherwise still very raw, and obtain Auston Matthews.

Or

2) Discover that entire program is actually much stronger than first believed, and Nylander, Kapanen, Sparks, Leivo, Hyman, Carrick, etc. are actually much further along in development and watch the Leafs rise in standings and take themselves out of a top 5 pick?

Choice number 2 all day long! The point of getting the number 1 overall is the hope that it's the highest chance of nabbing a foundation piece. If the young players who are already here are competitive enough at the NHL level already to win hockey games that would mean some foundation pieces are already here.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
#1 because it doesn't exclude #2 happening

Voted this, because this is what will happen.

If we start winning games, someone like Rielly will get "injured" and then shut down for the remainder of the season.

The possibility that the Marlies team actually IS good enough to win in the NHL is very remote, so eventually the tank job will just keep "injuring" our NHL starters until we achieve a winless streak that cements us at the bottom.

The only things we won't see for a tank is Babcock limiting ice-time or otherwise trying to lose in-game. And we also won't see any players mailing it in, because Babs will shoot them dead with eye-lasers.

Remember, we aren't "tanking", we are just trading all our vets and "injuring/shelving" the ones we keep. Unfortunately, losses may* result.

*will, but not** intentionally so

** means intentionally

brettzz

Jul 20, 2014
if the kids start scoring and playing well and win a couple games lou goes WELP OK WE GAVE THE KIDS A LOOK THEY LOOK GOOD NOW THEY FINISH THE SEASON WITH THE MAHLIES TO PREPARE FOR THE PLAYOFFS

and he brings clune arcobello etc back up

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
The OP illustrates why I'm less worried about where we end up in the standings, and more about the development of our players and the quality of drafting relative to the picks we have.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
#1 cause those guys will be those players next year too. Also don't really want to burn a year off on the young guys.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Seriously - we just had one bright, entertaining game with a handful of kids and we are ready to entertain ideas that the program is on the fast track?

This is a tire fire of an organization very far away from being one that pushes up the standings.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

Or

Hands down 1

a 20 game run means little overall , just look at calgs kids last year to this.

just like I won't be freaking out if they don't produce much in those 20 games, it literally means nothing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad