World Cup: Would you rather have your country win the World Cup or club team win the Champions League?

Would you rather have your country win the World Cup or club team win the Champions League?

• Total voters

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'm more emotionally invested in United so I'd probably pick the CL. But that also be because the US soccer program has been such a disaster that it's been hard to get invested in them. But then again so is United so maybe I'm just a hypocrite lol.

Reactions: S E P H and Rob

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
If my actual country (Canada) were to win the World Cup, that EASILY.

Between a Chelsea Champions League win and a World Cup for the team I root for in international competition (England), I take a Chelsea UCL win comfortably. I only have started softly supporting England because of the Chelsea contingent, so I'd obviously pick a Chelsea success over theirs.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
USA still wouldn’t give a damn about soccer if it won the World Cup. I’ll take #7

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The Champions League, no questions asked You get emotionally invested in your team that plays for 7/8 months as opposed to a team that doesnt play many meaningful matches in a year.

Reactions: S E P H

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How is that even a question?
France winning the WC or any french team winning the CL?

WC every day baby.

Reactions: Rob

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Club winning the domestic league rather, these are both meh. Maybe some small country winning the World Cup as underdogs.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
definitely WC, nothing beats international football

And don't get me wrong winning CL is great, and when (especially Pep's) Barça did it I was ecstatic, but the feeling of your country going on a deep run in the WC, nothing matches that

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Norway used to have the most annoying manager I know of (Høgmo) and hardly a single player I could "identify" with. Honestly couldn't care less about the team at that point - and not because of the quality. The Norwegian hockey team could never win anything, but especially some years ago they were so much fun to watch - so much heart. The same with the handball teams (both sexes). Proper teams who play their hearts out.

So lately it has been the CL for me. Hopefully things are changing with the national team. Not only because Norway finally got some good players, but I love the new coach and the likes of Haaland, Ødegaard, Berge, Ajer etc. aren't only talented players, but also likeable people.

To make it short I won't fanatically support the national team just because they got the same nationality as me.

Bure80

Jun 27, 2011
There is a huge difference between Club success and winning a World Cup. A CL win is more or less purchasable. In international soccer even a poorer country like Brazil can be the best team.
So its World Cup. Not to forget CL is every year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Definitely the World Cup, even though it feels like the Netherlands is cursed in that regard.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Easily the World Cup, my best football memories have been Croatia's deep runs at two World Cups and always look forward with months of anticipation of any tournament. If Croatia won it in 2018 I could care less what they did in the future, one is enough :D

Maybe it helps that the club teams I truly support have no chance of any meaningful silverware (Hajduk Split can't even compete domestically let alone Europe and with respect to NY Red Bulls even a MLS Cup would be low on my sporting importance). I never really jumped on the European superclub bandwagon, more follow the leagues in general

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Champion's League easily and it is not even close. I don't hate the World Cup and my country is pretty good even though I doubt we'll ever win it like ever in our overall history of a country (better chance at Euros). However, the WC is too short of a tournament, takes too long to actually care for it, and always gets insanely overhyped for the end results of extremely average football (with a lot of failures from the same countries).

International football just doesn't have the same epic matches that I've seen the CL have if you'd compare the two. A lot of the most epic WC moments are either bad situations (Zidane headbutt), brutal miss calls (hand of god), or teams performing terribly (Russia one year, Nigeria another year, Spain some random year, and Brasil against Germany). I don't know why anybody would care for Colombia vs Iceland as a neutral except if you're representing one of those countries. I also don't understand why anybody would want to watch Greece vs Australia either; a lot of rubbish countries somehow are able to join because their FIFA borders are so much weaker than others. I don't think any of the Oceanic countries are somehow better than the mid-tier European nations, yet one gets to make it through and the other doesn't (like one of the Balkans).

Rugby is way and I mean pH -5 to pH 14 difference better for international tournaments than football ever can/could.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I can't understand how you can say WC has less epic moments. I think it offers just as much, except it's once every 4 years.
CL is uber-boring most of the time.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to WC. It's my favourite tournament in sports and I have yet to actually see my country qualify thus far into my life. Canada winning would be once in a lifetime (likely never in a lifetime :p) so I'm going with that. The CL would be great, however, I have seen Arsenal get there and lose, plus we were in the contest for years. It feels like something that could happen and maybe multiple times over the course of my life.

If this was 7 years ago this would likely be reversed just based on where Canada and Arsenal were in their trajectories.

Overall though I'm not picky, I was ecstatic when Arsenal won the FA Cup, I simply want silverare!

Reactions: GabeTravels

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I can't understand how you can say WC has less epic moments. I think it offers just as much, except it's once every 4 years.
CL is uber-boring most of the time.
I never said there weren't in the WC, but like I said in my post I think majority of the most epic WC moments are just overhyped and surrounded by a lot of controversy; we can now add Qatar's communistic-slavery tactics to the list. CL might be uber boring, but that's because they let in rubbish clubs from Southeastern Europe like Romania, Czech, Ukraine, etc., while beautiful clubs like Arsenal and in La liga do not get allowed into the tournament for some ridiculous reason. But again, a lot of the issues you might have about the CL also happens in the WC and even more severe. I don't know how anybody can find certain matches fascinating like Russia vs Cameroon, but because it's the World Cup it's supposed to be "amazing" and it never lives up with the hype. That's why I prefer tourney's like Euro, AFCON, and Copa América where there are actual rivalries being represented. Nobody cares about Mexico vs Poland, there's nothing behind this match which would make me feel a sense of nervousness compared to if Arsenal was in the CL Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad