Would you rather have Chicago's 2022 or 2023 1st rounder?

Which pick do you prefer (not that we get to choose)?

• 2022 first rounder (most likely 4-9)

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • 2023 first rounder (most likely...???)

Votes: 28 60.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I have started doing some draft research and reading the draft thread here and it made me wonder, would I rather have this year's Chicago pick which will be somewhere between 4-9 (most likely in the 5-7 range) or would I rather take a chance that even if the Hawks get the #1 or #2 overall pick this year our we might do even better next year and unlikely to do much worse.

This feels like Let's Make a Deal, do you want what's behind door #1 or curtain #2?

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I know the top end is much stronger but would you rather risk having the (just hypothetical) the #12 pick in 2023 rather than the #7 pick in 2022? There is the risk the Blackhawks improve next year.

I am not saying you are wrong...I am playing Devil's Advocate.
Honestly believe Hawks could be much worse next year. Also the 2023 draft is not just better but much deeper from what I've read.

Reactions: LJ7

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
I prefer the 2023 first but you won't hear any complaints from me if we get the 2022 pick and it's 6th or higher. From what I see this draft has a solid top 6 of Wright, Cooley, Jiricek, Nemec, Savoie, and Slafkovsky (not in any particular order). Any of those 6 guys would be good with me and we have a chance at all of them besides Wright.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
This is such an open-ended crapshoot I'm not sure how one could actually hold a strong opinion on it. Can't wait to see some poll results :)

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
I'll take the gamble on 2023. Our prospect pool is already strong so we're not in dire need of more at the moment, I'll take my chances.

Porty mentioned that if Chicago wins the lottery this year, it has no impact on next year's draw. That was the only loose end I had.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
It’s a very interesting dilemma and depends how much you like gambling. If the pick continues to climb… how much can you really count on Chicago’s pick being higher next year? If this pick ends up 3-5 do you pass up on that for an outside chance at Bedard or Michkov, which require a lottery win next year regardless. Even if Chicago goes for full rebuild, a whole different group could gel and push the pick out of lottery range.

My verdict: hope for top 5 this year, but if it gets pushed to next year for a shot at Bedard I’ll enjoy watching the standings all year again.

CharlotteJacket

Apr 11, 2013
Charlotte, NC
The Athletic article shed some light on the motives of Chicago's GM. If he loses this years pick, then a full rebuild will be underway. He'll avoid this if the Jackets have their pick next year. He's not going to tank just to give the Jackets a high pick. He'll try and build around what he has currently.

Reactions: VT and CBJx614

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Chicago will be just as bad next season, so the answer should be 2023, but the impatient part of me just wants all the picks asap

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
Chicago will be just as bad next season, so the answer should be 2023, but the impatient part of me just wants all the picks asap
I hope the forecast is accurate, and am generally more of a "defer gratification" type. But I lack the precognitive ability to feel so sure. Either way should be fine.

I have far too much faith in the CBJs miserable luck to envision Bedard in Our Blue. That is a challenge to the fates - Prove me wrong!!

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Some of the answer depends on if we plan to actually use the pick or trade it. A 6OA even in a week draft is likely more marketable than an unprotected 2023 1st round pick even in a great draft.
To me I don't think we can address 1C thru the draft to fix the hole we have. If we are really planning on fixing that issue the 6OA in 2022 may be part of the package to get that.
Now if we are being patient and saying it won't be 2022-23, but rather 2023-24 or 2024-25 then I would rather have the 2023 pick.

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
Even though I've been conditioned to believe we should expect the worst possible outcome when it comes to the Draft Lottery, I'm still hopeful the ping pong balls will bounce our way at some point. I vote 2023, give me an extra shot at Bedard.

pled

Sep 7, 2009
I would definitly try to trade the pick if jiricek or nemec aren't available. this year was from the start a mild first round. it will have to wait till lottery/draft day.

all teams will value this draft less than the next so a trade wouldn't be amazing.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
That 2023 draft looks so good right now.

Players from 2023 draft that would be higher than Shane Wright if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Bedard
Mitchkov

Other players from 2023 draft that would be top 5 if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Fantilli
Ritchie

Other players from 2023 draft that would likely be top 10 if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Yager
Dvorsky
Carlsson

If you were allowed to draft both years now, the top 10 might look something like

Bedard
Mitchkov
Wright
Fantilli
Ritchie
Cooley
Dvorsky
Jiricek
Yager
Carlsson

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I hope the forecast is accurate, and am generally more of a "defer gratification" type. But I lack the precognitive ability to feel so sure. Either way should be fine.

I have far too much faith in the CBJs miserable luck to envision Bedard in Our Blue. That is a challenge to the fates - Prove me wrong!!
Obviously cant be 100% sure, but Kane and Toews are at the age where theyre regressing, and Hawks prospect pool is not great.

There's even been trade rumors about Kane and DeBrincat, but even if those are false, it's hard to see them improving

Reactions: NotTooWideArena

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Athletic article shed some light on the motives of Chicago's GM. If he loses this years pick, then a full rebuild will be underway. He'll avoid this if the Jackets have their pick next year. He's not going to tank just to give the Jackets a high pick. He'll try and build around what he has currently.
He won’t have a choice if they trade Kane. And the article mentions they would have the same goalies regardless what happens. I like our chances even if they don’t blow the roster up. Even DeBrincat knows it’s going to be rough next year.

Reactions: LJ7

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
Why would they stick with their two goalies when a proven starter like Korpisalo will be available? Unless they feel they won't have the cap space required to retain his services.

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

5th Line Fanatic

Oct 2, 2020
That 2023 draft looks so good right now.

Players from 2023 draft that would be higher than Shane Wright if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Bedard
Mitchkov

Other players from 2023 draft that would be top 5 if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Fantilli
Ritchie

Other players from 2023 draft that would likely be top 10 if they were allowed to drafted this year:

Yager
Dvorsky
Carlsson

If you were allowed to draft both years now, the top 10 might look something like

Bedard
Mitchkov
Wright
Fantilli
Ritchie
Cooley
Dvorsky
Jiricek
Yager
Carlsson
From what I've read, Mitchkov is definitely a top two talent, but he's under contract in Russia until 2026. Do you think that scares teams off at the top of the draft?

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
He won’t have a choice if they trade Kane. And the article mentions they would have the same goalies regardless what happens. I like our chances even if they don’t blow the roster up. Even DeBrincat knows it’s going to be rough next year.
I agree. They're at the minimum lottery bound next season. I don't see a way they can dig themselves out of the bottom 10 over one summer. I'm not so sure we'd be very well situated for the Bedard sweepstakes though. Can't see them being absolutely rock bottom.
From what I've read, Mitchkov is definitely a top two talent, but he's under contract in Russia until 2026. Do you think that scares teams off at the top of the draft?
Man I hope so. I hope every team in front of us is terrified of him:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad