Would you raise Wheeler's jersey to the rafters?

Would you raise Wheeler's jersey to the rafters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
No hesitation yes. Years of service - to both team and community alone justify it. Production alone justifies it. Team captain for, what? 6 years? Justifies it. Goat horns for the last couple of years do not change that. Rumoured or speculated flaws do not change any of that.

I wanted him gone because his shelf life had expired. But now that he is gone, there is no excuse for any resentment. He was a great player for Jets for most of his 12 years here.

Hope he gets huge standing O tonight.
I was a no but I think you convinced me otherwise. Would have been nice to see some deeper playoff runs. I'm sure he's having a great time in new York but I wonder if there's a bit of regret leaving and his role and play now. I mean I guess he has a chance for the cup which he probably wants, and would probably move eventually anyway but it seems like he truly liked being in Winnipeg.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I'm voting no, but not because of anything in particular with blake. If anything the way that he fought so hard in the playoffs last year was actually kind of inspiring. I have a really high bar for numbers being retired and I feel like if wheeler is eligible to get his jersey lifted then why not Dustin and the list just goes on and on and on

Reactions: 10Ducky10

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
I agree, and Buff is my favourite Jet of all time.
Totally agree. Buff was great but caused upheaval when he retired even if the team was partially responsible. Wheeler was basically a company guy, team player and leader with faults but gave it all he had here and deserves to have his jersey retired.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No problem for me whatsoever.

Wheeler may (or may not) have been an issue towards the end of his tenure here but that doesn't detract from the efforts he put into the organization and community in the many years he was in Winnipeg. Never questioned his effort or heart (or balls for that matter) he absolutely deserves a spot in the rafters.
After reading a ton of other posts I feel I need to clarify. I never read this question as retire his number, rather as put him up on a banner like Steen, Selanne and others are now.

So can we clarify the question?

Reactions: bustamente

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
After reading a ton of other posts I feel I need to clarify. I never read this question as retire his number, rather as put him up on a banner like Steen, Selanne and others are now.

Agreed the question can be taken different ways. Also agree there is a big difference in honouring a player by hanging there jersey number and retiring their number. Saying that I’d love to see the Jets retire Hawerchuck’s #10. IMO that is long overdue.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB

Agreed his jersey number is never getting retired, but his name will be in the rafters sooner rather than later

Inanna

Maybe this year...
Sponsor
Aug 29, 2022
Was there a video tribute to Wheeler during the game on Monday?

I'm sure I didn't see one.

I watched the entire game and only took my download breaks between periods, but I never saw anything resembling those little video highlight packages they often show to thank/acknowledge a returning player.

Did I miss it? Did anyone else see it?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Was there a video tribute to Wheeler during the game on Monday?

I'm sure I didn't see one.

I watched the entire game and only took my download breaks between periods, but I never saw anything resembling those little video highlight packages they often show to thank/acknowledge a returning player.

Did I miss it? Did anyone else see it?
Yes there was (during a commercial break).

The Hobgoblin

Sep 6, 2011
I am biased because he is basically the last Atlanta Thrasher. I kept following the Jets after the move and Blake Wheeler was amazing. A true big rig power forward that did so much on the ice and was huge for the Winnipeg community.

If all those years, games, points, never taking shifts off on both ends, lives touched and memories aren't enough to have his jersey retired then frankly what is the point of retiring anyone's jersey.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
The Jets have ten honored number players at the moment, including Carlyle, Hawerchuk, Hedberg, Hull, McDonald, Nilsson, Numminen, Selänne, Sjöberg, and Steen. I think Wheeler would fit just fine in there as the 11th.

This is the answer.

The Jets have not retired any numbers, doesn't seem that they are likely to do so. Even the numbers that were unofficially retired (9, 37) were later handed out to Kane and Hellebuck respectively.

But they do have the Jets Hall of Fame, containing the names listed above. I think Wheeler, Buff and probably Ladd would all fit in that group - if Ab McDonald can make it for being the first Jets 1.0 captain for two years, Ladd can make it for being first Jets 2.0 captain for 5 years.

There's probably a few more 80s and 90s names to go on that list, but pretty soon its going to be time to get to some 2.0 names.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad