Would you raise Wheeler's jersey to the rafters?

Would you raise Wheeler's jersey to the rafters?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gordon112358

Nov 1, 2022
With Blake's career seemingly coming to an end fairly soon, I started to wonder if his accomplishments here would be enough to have his jersey retired.

I believe it should be because if you compare his accomplishments to Thomas Steen, he did more in a shorter time period. Hawerchuk was obviously more impactful however he only played 9 seasons. Blake was here for 12.

I would be curious to see what the group's thoughts are about retiring his jersey?
Whether you vote yes or no please list the reasons for your choice.

Go Jets Go !

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
No problem for me whatsoever.

Wheeler may (or may not) have been an issue towards the end of his tenure here but that doesn't detract from the efforts he put into the organization and community in the many years he was in Winnipeg. Never questioned his effort or heart (or balls for that matter) he absolutely deserves a spot in the rafters.

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
No. Simply because he didn’t bring a Stanley Cup to Winnipeg (I know we have retired numbers of players who didn’t, but I think it’s bar to be consider so)

Edit: I thought about it more, I guess so.

Edit: I thought about it again, no.

• Haha
Reactions: ps241 and Jets 31

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Yes for me. Not always a fan of the captaincy phase but easily the most influential player on and off the ice of the Jets 2.0 era to date.

Not a player I ever loved, but certainly respected the heck out of him.

As with many breakups done for the right reasons, I think the love will only build with time and nostalgia, and I expect standing Os tonight and a whole lotta love for and from Wheeler.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
No hesitation yes. Years of service - to both team and community alone justify it. Production alone justifies it. Team captain for, what? 6 years? Justifies it. Goat horns for the last couple of years do not change that. Rumoured or speculated flaws do not change any of that.

I wanted him gone because his shelf life had expired. But now that he is gone, there is no excuse for any resentment. He was a great player for Jets for most of his 12 years here.

Hope he gets huge standing O tonight.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm on the fence. He was a great jet and citizen, but there was some turmoil. I think with some time I might be a solid yes but today I lean no.

I was hurt by how Buff left so I was a no originally but now I'm a firm yes

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Aggie204

Expect the worst, you’ll never be disappointed.
Sep 11, 2015
East St Paul, MB
Horrible reason. We might never recognize any player that way.
The Jets can recognize players in the concourse. And yes I’ll be in the building tonight giving him his respect and admiration for what he has done for the community.
IMG_5224.jpeg

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
I am yes on both Buff and Wheeler. Both one of the best players in their position not only on the Jets but in the entire league and both had peaks that were higher than the current Jets stars in those positions (Scheifele, Connor, Morrissey)

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
No. Simply because he didn’t bring a Stanley Cup to Winnipeg (I know we have retired numbers of players who didn’t, but I think it’s bar to be consider so)

Edit: I thought about it more, I guess so.

Edit: I thought about it again, no.
imo one of the litmus tests that i usually do is if it's not a yes w/ minimal hesitation. & you start basically having to convince yourself to reasons why - then it's most likely a no. i think your post kind of signifies that.

if the Jets do it that's fine & their choice and ultimately makes 0 difference in my life or watching Jets hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: ERYX and Aggie204

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Zero hesitation yes from me. He leads or is 2nd in so many offensive categories and despite his later years, he's still top-10 in +/-. Major difference between the player and his contract. Blake Wheeler was a great Winnipeg Jet. Blake Wheeler's contract, not so much. But, that should not take away from what the player meant to the team and city during his time here.

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
Hard no from me.

The only Jets 2.0 player who I think you could make an argument for in terms of a retired number is Helle. The rest, Buff Scheif J-Mo whatever, not a chance. That would change with a Stanley Cup, however.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hard no from me.

The only Jets 2.0 player who I think you could make an argument for in terms of a retired number is Helle. The rest, Buff Scheif J-Mo whatever, not a chance. That would change with a Stanley Cup, however.
If Scheifele retires a Jet i think his jersey gets retired especially if he keeps putting up numbers and we make a long playoff or 2 in the time he's here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad