Proposal: Would you Make this Deal?

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Whether or not we would make this deal is really irrelevant because none of us have the power to weigh in and Bryan Murray does not get his advice from hf. Nice to see you keeping the team in mind, though.

I think we judge relevance differently. As a fan base there is a general (but not universal) feeling that we need to add a high end forward, preferably a power forward. You get the sense reading through the threads here that the Sens need to make such a move to take it to the next level. I believe this discussion adds in an important element, which is that we have to give something very good up in order to get something very good. This type of debate hopefully re-focuses such discussions into something more realistic, which is that if we probably can't add a significant piece to the lineup without removing something that we value. When we are faced with the decision about whether we would give up a Zibby or a Silf ourselves we can begin empathize with how hard this decision will be for Mr. Murray, who has to make such decisions for real.

We cannot control what Bryan Murray can do. Bryan Murray cannot control what we expect him to do. Lets temper our expectations for off season moves with reality. Everyone will be happier in the end that way.

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Let's not overrate our own players, guys. We all remember how foolish some of us looked after the Foligno trade, me included. We'd do Cowen straight up for Ryan. Obviously not the best scenario for us though

I wouldn't. That would leave a MASSIVE gaping hole in our defense. Cowen had back luck this season. As a rookie, he led all our d-men in PK time. He stays, unless we get a game-breaking player coming back our way. Anything else is a lateral move at best.

Also, when I say a game-breaking player, I don't include players over the age of 28. If we trade our young guns for anyone, the guys coming back need to still have it in them to play to their fullest in 5 years time. Not everyone is Alfie.

As to the original post, no. I'm not that high on Bobby Ryan. Zibby/Silf, Weir, and the 1st round pick is too much. To suggest Zibby, Cowen and the 1st is just waaaay out there. If Anaheim proposed that to me and I were Murray, I'd get up and leave the table without dignifying them with a response.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I over value silf, so i wouldn't do silf straight up,

Zibby and the first is a no no, because Zibby could play on our team for the next 20 years, Ryan will leave when his contract expires in 2 years... and then ad a first round pick that could benefit anaheim for probably 5-10 years on average it will basically be how we robbed The islanders out of spezza, except we would be the side getting robbed.

Cowen is a big piece , literally. but with methot, and gryba already proven to help reduce goals against i would be fine giving cowen and the first, but i would not do it if i was murray, because again cowen is also really young and could be a dominating defencemen for us for a lot of years to come.

Im probably one of the few people here who doesnt want a top line winger, unless we get him from free agency, The only player i can see us going after is dupuis, but i would gladly over pay for stalberg instead, but he is probably gonna resign,

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If the Ducks want Zibanejad in a deal for Ryan, I don't expect he's a piece in a larger package. Correct me if I am wrong, but were the Ducks not contemplating Couturier for Ryan? I would imagine they value Zbad similarly to Couturier.

If Bob and Bryan work out a deal, I think it will be something along the lines of Zibanejad + pick (not first) for Ryan.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
If the Ducks want Zibanejad in a deal for Ryan, I don't expect he's a piece in a larger package. Correct me if I am wrong, but were the Ducks not contemplating Couturier for Ryan? I would imagine they value Zbad similarly to Couturier.

If Bob and Bryan work out a deal, I think it will be something along the lines of Zibanejad + pick (not first) for Ryan.

If that is the deal I would take it. The rumour was out there, but we do not know what the plus would be on Philly's end. I highly doubt it is couturier straight up unless Anaheim is in more cap trouble (probably internal) than we assume.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I haven't watched much of Anaheim but if Bobby Ryan can make some plays on his own and is a legit top line threat, yes - we should try to make an offer to get him.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If that is the deal I would take it. The rumour was out there, but we do not know what the plus would be on Philly's end. I highly doubt it is couturier straight up unless Anaheim is in more cap trouble (probably internal) than we assume.

I think we make a Zibanejad + pick for Ryan deal, but those thinking Murray will add Cowen + 1st to such a deal, are out to lunch.

That would be horrible asset management.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'll re-ask the question that a lot of people missed.

The original offer was Zibby+Wiercioch+1st. Does this seem fair to get Ryan?

Still feels like too much.

I would do Wiercioch + 1 + 2 + low lvl prospect ... but I doubt Anaheim would do that.

Karl Cowensson

I has cheezburger
Oct 27, 2008
Northern Ontario
I'd rather the Sens test the FA market first. The team has a bright future and plenty of cap space, so it may be a more attractive place then it has in the past to sign UFAs.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I wouldn't mind if the sens wait until mid-late august and then take a flyer on a decent defenceman without a dance partner. Usually there are a couple of serviceable guys who will sign short-term deal for a good price around that time of year.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'd rather the Sens test the FA market first. The team has a bright future and plenty of cap space, so it may be a more attractive place then it has in the past to sign UFAs.

Nah, the free agent market worries me. The NHL has become so fast that most of these guys that are 30+ are already in decline and usually want those overpayment retirement type deals.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Punidts, who are never wrong of course, have said that the biggest thing missing in the Sens lineup is a power forward who can play on Spezza's wing. Many fans agree with this. Of the UFAs available Iginla, Horton, or Dupuis fit the bill well enough and would only cost us salary, so that is probably our first choice. However, none of those players are likely to sign here.

So what happens then? I'll start with a scenario that played out with fans in general on the main boards, and put it out there to see what Sens fans in particular think.

Lets say we make a play on draft day for a player like Bobby Ryan. We begin with the assumption that we have to give something to get something, and we start with Silf or Zibby, include Wiercioch plus our 1 round pick this year. They counter with specifying Zibby and taking out Wiercioch and adding Cowen.

Gulp.

If you were the GM of the Sens what would you do? Is it a Hell yeah, a stand firm, or a "we can grow our own, the original offer was already too much"?

Zibanejad + Cowen + 18th overall pick for Ryan?

No thanks

Agreed that adding Cowen is an overpayment. But how about Zibby+Wiecioch+1st round pick? That was the original proposal before the counter-offer.

Makes a bit more sense but Zibanejad should be a keeper

I'd do Stone + Wiercioch + 1st

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Is Eberle the one who is rumoured to have a toxic locker room presence, or is it Hall? I always get it mixed up.

Anyway, try to avoid mentioning moving any of the "big four" around Edmonton fans, they are pretty touchy about the concept.

Your right, It is Eberle.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The bigger problem is that almost every star is locked up long-term as an RFA.

True. But, I'd rather go with the current lineup and suffer an additional year or two of growing pains over making a poor deal or opening up the vault for an overpriced ufa.

peter67

Oct 16, 2012
Nepean
Nope. The team is building from within. Cowan and Zibby are two big parts we must keep. Remember, Zibby won the 2012 World Junior for Sweden with the OT goal. He's going to be really good. And Cowan, well, yes he'll be the cornerstone soon (with Karlsson who will be a monster next year once he gets his legs back).

At the trade deadline, they only made one deal, showing faith in their abundance of inexperience youth. So what did they do? Traded Ben Bishop for even more inexperienced youth (Conacher).

Nope, SENS will be building with youth.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
Nope. The team is building from within. Cowan and Zibby are two big parts we must keep. Remember, Zibby won the 2012 World Junior for Sweden with the OT goal. He's going to be really good. And Cowan, well, yes he'll be the cornerstone soon (with Karlsson who will be a monster next year once he gets his legs back).

At the trade deadline, they only made one deal, showing faith in their abundance of inexperience youth. So what did they do? Traded Ben Bishop for even more inexperienced youth (Conacher).

Nope, SENS will be building with youth.

I hope so. I'd love to see us keep as many of our young guys as possible. It would be great to watch them develop and congeal together.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Considering we need a right handed Dman as well, I would rather keep the Dmen we have so as to avoid an even bigger hole on the back end...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad