Olympics: Would the US be better or worse with Tim Connolly?

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The 3rd leading US scorer in the NHL. I know US won tonight but I don't think the US can expect Ryan Miller to make 42 saves again, a lot of them highlight saves.

The US needs more offensive pressure to bring home the gold! The Patrick Kane line has to step up if they will bring home the gold.

I think most will agree the US was more lucky then good tonight.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How can a team be better than 3-0-0 after three games? Connolly is the 3rd or 4th leading scoring American (too lazy to look right now), but he was going through a dreadful slump when the team was being picked. Even as a Buffalo fan, I can't think of which forward I would want him substituted for. Stastny, though poor so far, deserved to make the team. After tonight,it's almost impossible to argue Callahan and Drury don't deserve to be there.

Wallachia

Feb 8, 2010
Well who would he replace? The players I may have replaced him with before have turned out to be playing really well (Backes, Drury, Callahan).

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
How can a team be better than 3-0-0 after three games? Connolly is the 3rd or 4th leading scoring American (too lazy to look right now), but he was going through a dreadful slump when the team was being picked. Even as a Buffalo fan, I can't think of which forward I would want him substituted for. Stastny, though poor so far, deserved to make the team. After tonight,it's almost impossible to argue Callahan and Drury don't deserve to be there.

You think they have been more good or lucky? The 1st 2 games they gave up too many odd man rushes, and against Canada they were outshot 45-23.

The old saying goes it is better to be lucky then good, but all we won today was a day off.

Last edited:

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Well who would he replace? The players I may have replaced him with before have turned out to be playing really well (Backes, Drury, Callahan).

I wouldnt replace drury because he scores big goals.

But what is "playing well" The whole team was saved by Ryan Miller. I guess playing well is getting great goaltending.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You think they have more good or lucky? The 1st 2 games they gave up too many odd man rushes, and against Canada they were outshot 45-23.

The old saying goes it is better to be lucky then good, but all we won today was a day off.

You're ignoring the fact that the guys he'd potentially be there over (Drury, Cally) have made huge contributions to the team so far. So you'd be taking something out of the lineup. How do you know Connolly wouldn't be silenced like Stastny has? Connolly is fine defensively, but he can't fill the role that Cally and Drury have.

I'll let other people engage in the purely academic argument of whether the Americans have been lucky or good (answer: both). Connolly should've done more before the team was selected. If he had gone on his huge points streak during the evaluation process, this conversation probably wouldn't be happening and Tim would be in Vancouver.

This strikes me as whining for whining's sake.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The 3rd leading US scorer in the NHL. I know US won tonight but I don't think the US can expect Ryan Miller to make 42 saves again, a lot of them highlight saves.

The US needs more offensive pressure to bring home the gold! The Patrick Kane line has to step up if they will bring home the gold.

I think most will agree the US was more lucky then good tonight.

Questions like this are silly. If Kane had not been picked for some odd reason, and you made the same thread about him, the answer would be a universal yes. Knowing how he has played thus far, you can see why surmising, or assuming because a player is have a great season in the NHL they will be good in the Olympics, is a poor basis for an argument.

Would they be better? Who knows? No one will ever know. Better than Kane or Stastny thus far? It wouldn't take much, to be honest.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Questions like this are silly. If Kane had not been picked for some odd reason, and you made the same thread about him, the answer would be a universal yes. Knowing how he has played thus far, you can see why surmising, or assuming because a player is have a great season in the NHL they will be good in the Olympics, is a poor basis for an argument.

Would they be better? Who knows? No one will ever know. Better than Kane or Stastny thus far? It wouldn't take much, to be honest.

Kane? I want Kane on the team. I think the US has too many grinders.

We will see, I hope they win the gold. I just dont know how a guy with 102 points the last 108 games isn't on the US team.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

We will see, I hope they win the gold. I just dont know how a guy with 102 points the last 108 games isn't on the US team.

You're missing my point. I'm not saying replace Kane or Stastny. I'm saying if Kane was in Connolly's position (not in Vancouver) and a Blackhawk fan made this same exact thread asking if Kane should be there, everyone would undoubtedly say yes, because of how good he has been all year on the 'hawks. However, seeing how lackluster his play has been thus far, you can see that judging a player on their NHL season as a basis of debating whether or not the Olympic team would be better with, or without them, is pointless.

It's a totally different game here. Again, although it would not take much for Connolly to play better for USA right now as opposed to Kane and Stastny, because they have been sub-par.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Because he was on pace for 61 pts on New Year's Day when the team was announced. Connolly is a player who would need to be in the top-6. When the team was selected he was not performing better than Stastny, Kesler or Pavelski (who also had a huge World Championships last Spring).

If there had been a top-6 injury, Connolly probably would've been the guy to get the call.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
You're ignoring the fact that the guys he'd potentially be there over (Drury, Cally) have made huge contributions to the team so far. So you'd be taking something out of the lineup. How do you know Connolly wouldn't be silenced like Stastny has? Connolly is fine defensively, but he can't fill the role that Cally and Drury have.

I'll let other people engage in the purely academic argument of whether the Americans have been lucky or good (answer: both). Connolly should've done more before the team was selected. If he had gone on his huge points streak during the evaluation process, this conversation probably wouldn't be happening and Tim would be in Vancouver.

This strikes me as whining for whining's sake.

Connolly may be the US's best all around player, probably between Kessler and Connolly. I think not having that offensive weapon, who is also good defensively will catch up to the US. Obviously if Kane and Stastny start playing they could beat Sweden or Russia.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Because he was on pace for 61 pts on New Year's Day when the team was announced. Connolly is a player who would need to be in the top-6. When the team was selected he was not performing better than Stastny, Kesler or Pavelski (who also had a huge World Championships last Spring).

If there had been a top-6 injury, Connolly probably would've been the guy to get the call.

He had 47 points in 48 games the last year. The year before he had 40 points in 48 games.

Burke knew the guy was one of the US's most dangerous offensive players, he wanted a gritty hockey team. I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt. So far IMO the team has been saved by Ryan Miller.

Im just looking at the big picture. You being a Sabre fan knows Miller can save a team, but he can get tired mentally. We will see.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
I don't think Connolly would make Team USA any better. Can't really judge on performances thus far, because no one will get sent away

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He had 47 points in 48 games the last year. The year before he had 40 points in 48 games.

Burke knew the guy was one of the US's most dangerous offensive players, he wanted a gritty hockey team. I hope it doesn't bite us in the butt. So far IMO the team has been saved by Ryan Miller.

Im just looking at the big picture. You being a Sabre fan knows Miller can save a team, but he can get tired mentally. We will see.

He was abysmal in November and most of December. He had 0 G, 2 A from Nov 28-Dec 21. You're burying your head in the sand if you don't think that slump, which occurred when many decisions were being made about the composition of the team, had at least something to do with his omission. Also, you can't ignore the fact that Connolly snubbed Burke and company last spring when he turned down an invite to play at the Worlds.

Connolly's a talented player, but he hurt himself with that slump. I'm completely fine with him not being on this team. You seem to be overly focused on his stats when there other guys with good stats (Kane, Stastny) who aren't doing squat.

The Tourist

Jul 11, 2008
I think he should be on the team and I think it would help Kessel. Kessel needs someone on that 2nd line who can set him up.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I don't think he'd be that much of a help. The games I've seen (especially tonight) have not been very wide open, and TC doesn't exactly thrive in tight, physical games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad