Would the Leafs make the playoffs without Matthews?

Would the Leafs make the playoffs without Matthews?

• Yes

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • No

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • Too close to call

Votes: 29 17.1%

• Total voters

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Maybe but Matthews is clearly the better player. That debate ended 2-3 years ago.
No one disputed that, and it wasn't the question here at all, and it doesn't change the fact that the team is doing better without Matthews than without Marner. You don't even need statistics for that, you can see it with the naked eye.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I’m sure they would find a way to miss out.
But at least they would have an excuse,that the fans would lap up.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Leafs could definitly go to the playoffs without Matthews if they had 12mill to spend. You can get a lot out of 12mill, if you spend it on rough spots only and players on the verge of finding the next gear.

And without Tavare and Matthews and 23mill to spend.... but thats off topic.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Many teams make the playoffs without Matthews.

I’m sure they would find a way to miss out.
But at least they would have an excuse,that the fans would lap up.
Yeah, but that wouldn't be something that is exclusive to the Leafs. If any team loses a superstar player and goes on to miss the playoffs, that excuse would be used.

Reactions: Gabe Kupari

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Many teams make the playoffs without Matthews.

Yeah, but that wouldn't be something that is exclusive to the Leafs. If any team loses a superstar player and goes on to miss the playoffs, that excuse would be used.
He does next nothing in the playoff‘s bud.

Uncus13

Sep 11, 2017
For some reason, I do believe you may be correct.
If I could have a relatively warm location to work in year-round and can make more money and keep more money ... bye.
It confuses me how an organization like the NHL encourages a level playing field, yet allows certain advantages, like taxes, to work for the benefit of the few.

Reactions: HolyCrap

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I thought about his in a similar context ..

Last year the TB lightening had former Hart and Art Ross scoring leader Kucherov for only 47 of 82 games (approx 1/2 a season) and that team finished with 110 points only 5 points behind the record setting Leafs and that is with Leafs having Matthews for 60 goals and 106 points.

If the Leafs would have missed Matthews for only 1/2 a year how many points would that have cost the Leafs in the standings?

Every team that made the playoffs in the east last year had 100 or more points, so would a Matthew less Leafs fallen below that threshold?

When you consider Leafs goaltending down the stretch and that Leafs simply outscored their own goals against issues with sub .900 sv% to win games there is a lot of doubt that if you remove the Rocket Richard winner the Leafs wouldn't pay the price in the standings.
If you're talking about making/missing the playoffs, falling below the 100-point Capitals doesn't matter since they still would have made the playoffs as the 8th seed. What actually matters is whether they would fall below the 84-point Islanders.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
With Gudreau bailing on Calgary, Panarin on Columbus and many others, Dubas better not take Matthews "word" he will resign. In the last 10 years, there is over 50 players who bailed on their team without warning. Matthews is the first superstar the Leafs have had in many years going back to Sittler.

When its time to extend Matthews, it better be for long term and if Matthew hmmm's and haw's about it, then trade him. Dubas is so stupid he would lose Matthews for nothing. Its worrisome.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Didn't Tarvares score 47 goals as Marner's centre? I don't think the Leafs would be division champs, but they'd be a shoe in for the playoffs. Plus $12 million in capspace can land them some additional help that would keep them a playoff team built to go deep

Reactions: banks and Uncus13

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
With Gudreau bailing on Calgary, Panarin on Columbus and many others, Dubas better not take Matthews "word" he will resign. In the last 10 years, there is over 50 players who bailed on their team without warning. Matthews is the first superstar the Leafs have had in many years going back to Sittler.

When its time to extend Matthews, it better be for long term and if Matthew hmmm's and haw's about it, then trade him. Dubas is so stupid he would lose Matthews for nothing. Its worrisome.
Just because you were not warned doesn't mean they weren't warned.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Having a discussion with my friend about the Leafs depth up front and their backend. We started discussing whether they could make the playoffs without Matthews, was interested in what you guys think.

Some points that came up in the discussion:

He was adamant that the Leafs forward group is deep enough to cover the 60 missing goals the Leafs would have by committee and can lean on their backend. He was also astronomically confident that Marner would post a 120 point season without Matthews in the lineup, he almost hinted that Marner would be a bigger loss but reeled that back in.

I don’t think the Leafs would make it in without Matthews, I agree that the Leafs have the personnel to cover the offense, however the Selke level defense and nightmare for match up’s is far too much to overcome.

Thoughts?

Why do we suddenly have so many Sens fans posting here?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sens fans, Hab fans, Oiler fans, Bruin fans, Islander fans, Dubas fans........they are all equally annoying.

• Haha
Reactions: IPS

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
If the East was stronger maybe, but who would knock them out of the playoffs? OTT? lol.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Who knows.

Got people like Golden jet who's a full on sens fan always on this board commenting.

If the leafs were missing Matthews an entire season I think it would play out like when the lightning missed the playoffs the one year. It would be close to the wire.

Last edited:
Reactions: hamzarocks

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Who f***ing knows.

Got people like Golden jet who's a full on sens fan always on this board commenting.

If the leafs were missing Matthews an entire season I think it would play out like when the lightning missed the playoffs the one year. It would be close to the wire.
Marner/nylander/JT are still going to give us ppg as a trio even without AM34 (likely a fair bit higher)

Teams with 3-ppg players usually don't miss the playoffs

I wouldn't expect us to be a top tier team without Matthews

But we'd be similar to Washington or Dallas from the west. Still a solid playoff team

Reactions: Notsince67

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Honestly I think if the leafs started Petr Mrazek 50-60 out of 82 games last year, we still make it as a wildcard

Playoffs again sucked with the team failing to close out their opponent, but the leafs had one of the best regular seasons ever for a Non-President trophy winning team.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

You would be lying if you said that the conversation that we’ve had on this thread on the Leafs board wouldn’t be more insightful and thought provoking than if it were to be posted on the main board.

I‘ll value the opinions of people that have actually actively been invested on the topic over people, much like myself, who have not watched 40+ Leafs games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad