Would the Leafs consider trading Matthews if they got a haul for him?

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
Nobody's untouchable?

A true 1C/1D/1 Goalie assuming contracts aren't bonkers of course you take that for a single 1C.

If Vancouver offers Miller/Hughes/Demko for Matthews, let's just say that I have the guy's jersey and think he'll go down as one of the Top 5 greatest goal scorers of all time, but I'll volunteer to help him pack.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
He would easily get traded for that kind of package.

Miller + Hughes + Demko is a ridiculous trade and would gut them badly. That's pretty much the reason Matthews is untouchable because no sane GM is making that offer even if we ignore the NMC.

Don't even need to go that far.

Even McDavid for Matthews would go through. But that's not happening either.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
His salary goes up to 13.25 next year. I don't care how many regular season goals he scores, until he can show he can lead a team to a serious playoff run, he's not worth that amount of money. I also don't know why the leafs record in the regular season and playoffs is so good without him in the line up. Bottom line is his 13.25 eats up too much cap for my liking.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Boston Bruins:
NOV 2005 - Trades away Joe Thonton
MAR 2006 - Trades away Samsonov
JUN 2006 - Drafts Lucic (with the Samsonov pick), Kessel, and Marchand
JUN 2006 - Trades Raycroft for Rask
JUL 2008 - Signs UFA Wheeler
MAR 2009 - Trades for Recchi
SEP 2009 - Trades away Kessel
JUN 2010 - Draft Seguin (with Kessel pick)
JUN 2011 - Wins Stanley Cup

There's certainly more to it than just that, but Boston decided to give up arguably the best player in the world at the time - because they felt their core wasn't going to get it done. It worked out, and it won't for everyone - but it sure seems like the Leafs are headed the way Boston was, before they changed tracks. If the goal is to win a cup, something needs to change, and moving Matthews should be considered. Whether or not it makes sense, depends on what's being offered of course.

The good news is cap hell (because of Tavares) end in just over a year. They will have more options than they've had in almost a decade at that point.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Nobody's untouchable?

A true 1C/1D/1 Goalie assuming contracts aren't bonkers of course you take that for a single 1C.

If Vancouver offers Miller/Hughes/Demko for Matthews, let's just say that I have the guy's jersey and think he'll go down as one of the Top 5 greatest goal scorers of all time, but I'll volunteer to help him pack.
Matthews shouldn't even be close to untouchable, he has had 1/9 playoff where he has equaled/exceeded his season stats.

In the season he looks like he's in the Mack/McDavid/Drai/Kuch tier but come playoff time to Horvat/Debrusk/E.Kane/Benn end of things.

He should count his blessings with that injury because it gives a "valid" excuse to him, but the reality is he has 1 goal in his last 10 playoff games while being the highest paid player in the NHL. He has never taken responsibility for his own short comings.

I'm certain some team would overpay for him or at least give you equal market value, if he was willing to waive he should get moved because he is as much of a problem in the playoffs as Marner.

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
1C + 1D + 1G for AM would be an overpayment. Leafs should take it and run.

To get that sort of haul I think Am would have had to lead the leafs to a conference championship or two by now, need skill plus proven playoff success to land that

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Matthews shouldn't even be close to untouchable, he has had 1/9 playoff where he has equaled/exceeded his season stats.

In the season he looks like he's in the Mack/McDavid/Drai/Kuch tier but come playoff time to Horvat/Debrusk/E.Kane/Benn end of things.

He should count his blessings with that injury because it gives a "valid" excuse to him, but the reality is he has 1 goal in his last 10 playoff games while being the highest paid player in the NHL. He has never taken responsibility for his own short comings.

I'm certain some team would overpay for him or at least give you equal market value, if he was willing to waive he should get moved because he is as much of a problem in the playoffs as Marner.
Did Matthews miss those games because of injury or illness?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

let’s set the record straight: at no point to this point in his career has Matthews played a single game, either playoff or regular season, as the highest paid in the NHL. Not one.

Also he HAS taken responsibility in the past publicly, and I’m sure has privately as well. And even if he hadn’t I don’t need Matthews or any other Leaf to individually throw himself on the sword when talking to the media after playoff failure.

In the playoffs he was good to very good in games 1 and 2 and then suffered a head injury by the sounds of the info we’re getting. That IS valid, contrary to your insinuation by putting the word in quotes.

You’re not wrong to say he absolutely needs to be better, but suggesting he should be traded is pretty ridiculous as far as I’m concerned. This team has much much larger playoff problems

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
let’s set the record straight: at no point to this point in his career has Matthews played a single game, either playoff or regular season, as the highest paid in the NHL. Not one.

Also he HAS taken responsibility in the past publicly, and I’m sure has privately as well. And even if he hadn’t I don’t need Matthews or any other Leaf to individually throw himself on the sword when talking to the media after playoff failure.

In the playoffs he was good to very good in games 1 and 2 and then suffered a head injury by the sounds of the info we’re getting. That IS valid, contrary to your insinuation by putting the word in quotes.

You’re not wrong to say he absolutely needs to be better, but suggesting he should be traded is pretty ridiculous as far as I’m concerned. This team has much much larger playoff problems
So he's not because he makes 600k less than McDavid lol.

When? 1 goal in 10 games isn't enough for 13.5 million (you're probably going to point out it's only 13.25 lmfao)

Only in Toronto can someone earn praise for being "very good," while other superstars go 2ppg, 3ppg, gpg etc, in Toronto as BASICALLY the highest paid player in the league do you get a pass.

His totals are the very close to Marners, season to playoff ppg/gpg:

1.16/.66
.87/.42

1.1/.33
.88/.2

Bigger dropoff overall, better goal scoring, basically the same.

He shouldn't get traded for nothing, but he's not remotely close to worth his salary come playoff time. 100% he should be available if he's willing to waive and you can get equal/greater value for him.

In his first 53 playoff games Sundin had:
25 goals 50 points in a way lower scoring era with a lesser team

In his first 55 playoffs games Matthews has:
23 goals 48 points in a way higher scoring era with way more help

Matthews is literally in the talk for being the greatest goal scorer of all time when it's all said and done, yet come playoff time he is more Marleau/Thornton than he is Gretzky/Ovechkin

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
So he's not because he makes 600k less than McDavid lol.

When? 1 goal in 10 games isn't enough for 13.5 million (you're probably going to point out it's only 13.25 lmfao)

Only in Toronto can someone earn praise for being "very good," while other superstars go 2ppg, 3ppg, gpg etc, in Toronto as BASICALLY the highest paid player in the league do you get a pass.

His totals are the very close to Marners, season to playoff ppg/gpg:

1.16/.66
.87/.42

1.1/.33
.88/.2

Bigger dropoff overall, better goal scoring, basically the same.

He shouldn't get traded for nothing, but he's not remotely close to worth his salary come playoff time. 100% he should be available if he's willing to waive and you can get equal/greater value for him.

In his first 53 playoff games Sundin had:
25 goals 50 points in a way lower scoring era with a lesser team

In his first 55 playoffs games Matthews has:
23 goals 48 points in a way higher scoring era with way more help

Matthews is literally in the talk for being the greatest goal scorer of all time when it's all said and done, yet come playoff time he is more Marleau/Thornton than he is Gretzky/Ovechkin

Matthews has not played a single game of his extension yet. He made 11.634M this year.

Matthews had 3 points in the two games this year before his head injury and was the single biggest reason they won game 2, we have no idea how the rest of his series might have gone otherwise.

There are a lot of reasons for the lack of playoff production in Toronto that I think are not entirely on the players, but in any case, and as I already said Matthews (like Marner) can be and needs to be a lot better in the playoffs. Don’t give me your “only in Toronto” garbage.

And no, he shouldn’t be traded. At all.

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
Matthews has not played a single game of his extension yet. He made 11.634M this year.

Matthews had 3 points in the two games this year before his head injury and was the single biggest reason they won game 2, we have no idea how the rest of his series might have gone otherwise.

There are a lot of reasons for the lack of playoff production in Toronto that I think are not entirely on the players, but in any case, and as I already said Matthews (like Marner) can be and needs to be a lot better in the playoffs. Don’t give me your “only in Toronto” garbage.

And no, he shouldn’t be traded. At all.
11.6 v 12.5, same thing.

He also had 0 goals/1 assist vs the Panthers last year and has 0 goals in 5 game 7s and 0 goals in 6 final elimination games.

Just the fact that people are defending a guy who will be the highest paid player in the NHL while producing like a good 2nd liner/alright 1st liner says everything.

Zach Hyman has MORE goals during a 7 game stretch in the playoffs than Auston ever did during his own best 7 game stretch (in now over 55 games). Hyman has 23 goals during his last 35 games whereas Matthews has 23 goals in 55 games. Hyman had 5 goals in 35 games with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares and co.

And now I know someone will mention how he's playing with Magical McDavid, but that begs the question if McDavid is SOOO good and Matthews presumably should not be held to the same standard, why is he getting paid MORE?

He 100% should be made available, although he is pacing to be arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time, he disappears massively in the playoffs. In a non cap world you pay him and hope for the best, in a cap world money matters.

Matthews literally goes from BY FAR the best all time g/60 average at 2/60 to a paltry 1.2 in the playoffs, good for 58th all time which would probably be even worse if it had been tracked for a longer time.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
11.6 v 12.5, same thing.

He also had 0 goals/1 assist vs the Panthers last year and has 0 goals in 5 game 7s and 0 goals in 6 final elimination games.

Just the fact that people are defending a guy who will be the highest paid player in the NHL while producing like a good 2nd liner/alright 1st liner says everything.

Zach Hyman has MORE goals during a 7 game stretch in the playoffs than Auston ever did during his own best 7 game stretch (in now over 55 games). Hyman has 23 goals during his last 35 games whereas Matthews has 23 goals in 55 games. Hyman had 5 goals in 35 games with Matthews/Marner/Nylander/Tavares and co.

And now I know someone will mention how he's playing with Magical McDavid, but that begs the question if McDavid is SOOO good and Matthews presumably should not be held to the same standard, why is he getting paid MORE?

He 100% should be made available, although he is pacing to be arguably the greatest goal scorer of all time, he disappears massively in the playoffs. In a non cap world you pay him and hope for the best, in a cap world money matters.

Matthews literally goes from BY FAR the best all time g/60 average at 2/60 to a paltry 1.2 in the playoffs, good for 58th all time which would probably be even worse if it had been tracked for a longer time.

I literally said he has to be a lot better. It has nothing to do with “defending” and simply moreso correcting things you’ve said that i don’t see as accurate or well thought out.

Matthews is going to be paid more because McDavid signed like 6 years ago. This stuff isn’t rocket science. By Cap Percentage at the time of signing he’s still the better part of an entire percentage below McDavid on his extension starting next year

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
1C, 1D and a 1G if a team offered that, they should snag it, just don’t see a team offering that.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If a team has a 1C, 1D and 1G they're probably a top 5 team in the league.

What a dumb scenario.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad