Speculation: Would Leafs have interest in Kovalchuk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
worth considering, but if we were betting on high upside reclamation projects/career twilight guys, might be better to look at Thornton

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
What? Speed is still one of his strengths. He was amazing in the Olympics.

I’d sign him as a JvR replacement. 2 years at 9M or one year at like 5M.

Yes he was just amazing against the AHL/ECHL level competition at the Olympics this year. I mean, his team was so amazing it managed to been the Germans, in overtime! Props for dominating the DEL all stars Ilya.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Are people still saying this? No, no, no. Do not trade Marner or Nylander. We added a solid top 4 D for free in Dermott. Keep building.
What are we, Edmonton?

Exactly. We have an absolute gem in Liljegren who will be ready next year most likely. Why trade away one of our core for a position we already have filled internally? All because of a 35 year old former sniper possibly joining the team and not wanting to be patient like the Shanaplan calls for.

The likelihood of M-N-M doing anything else but retiring as Leafs is about as remote as Eklund taking over for Ron and Don.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Exactly. We have an absolute gem in Liljegren who will be ready next year most likely. Why trade away one of our core for a position we already have filled internally? All because of a 35 year old former sniper possibly joining the team and not wanting to be patient like the Shanaplan calls for.

The likelihood of M-N-M doing anything else but retiring as Leafs is about as remote as Eklund taking over for Ron and Don.
Yeah, the Leafs are not going to trade any of Matthews/Marner/Nylander. I think the Dermott situation this year was golden and proof of simply building from within.
Tampa gave up so much for McD and have not played as well.
Getting Liljegren at #17 last summer was amazing. A huge break for us,

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
Yes he was just amazing against the AHL/ECHL level competition at the Olympics this year. I mean, his team was so amazing it managed to been the Germans, in overtime! Props for dominating the DEL all stars Ilya.
So what? Kovalchuk still dominated the NHL before he left, and dominated the KHL. He's a damn good player. I wouldn't mind signing him if it's for 1 year and 5M. Could be a solid JvR replacement.

Reactions: saffronleaf

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I watch Kapanen nightly and he really needs more ice-time. How many guys stuck on a 4th line are that skilled?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
So what? Kovalchuk still dominated the NHL before he left, and dominated the KHL. He's a damn good player. I wouldn't mind signing him if it's for 1 year and 5M. Could be a solid JvR replacement.

Yeah... 5 years ago. Is Marleau the player he was 5 years ago? And the KHL is made up of teams that primarily have AHL castoffs as their leading scorers. He was a damn good player, but we don't need a 35+ JvR replacement. The last place the Leafs need outside help in on the wings, least of all an aging player who's KHL point totals are amplified by playing with what is in effect the KHL all-star team year in year out.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs can spend their money better than another winger. And what is all this love for Kovi? Sure he was hot scorer in the KHL, does that relate the NHL. Highest goal scorer in the KHL was Nigel Dawes, don't see a stampede for his services.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Leafs can spend their money better than another winger. And what is all this love for Kovi? Sure he was hot scorer in the KHL, does that relate the NHL. Highest goal scorer in the KHL was Nigel Dawes, don't see a stampede for his services.
Agreed. They are way too deep on the wing and have 2 guys you need more ice-time.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
If the term is right (1 year deal) and the price is not crazy, why not? I'd pursue johnny t first, but I would love to see Marner feeding Kovalchuk on his off wing.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I see the argument. We'll have the cap space to go big on someone on a one-year deal but not longer-term. Not many guys fit that profile but Kovalchuk does.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Whoops wrong thread, on one year deal I’d say yes he can probably give us a solid two way game for a season in a year we can really gear up for a cup run

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If he wants more than 1 gear deal, I’m not sure the Leafs can afford to invest that type of money on a vet winger.

Though, if Lou gets extended as GM I can see the Leafs maybe at least making some sort of offer.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He's not really a Babcock type player, but he's the perfect player we need to fill our gap on LW if JVR leaves

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
ZERO INTEREST, and by that I mean ZERO INTEREST.

I'm not very concerned though, in my mind there is a 0% chance the Maple Leafs would even think about signing this guy.

Probably would be an upgrade on Marleau.

One of the most ridiculous comments I've ever seen on this forum and that's saying a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad