Would Gionta clear waivers?

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
I realize he as a no movement clause, but in your opinion, would Gionta clear waivers if he went on the wire today? At 36 years old and a cap hit of 4.25 million. Looking at the other 29 teams, who might take a chance on him?

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario
Nor shoudl he be waived. Obviosuly he isn't the player he used to be and shouldn't be playing near 20+ minutes a night but if he was played in his proper 10-14 TOI I would have no problem with him. Not like the cap hit affects us now, the hate by some people is overstated.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
Only 1/3 of the league could fit his contract. I think he would clear.

But, I think Gionta can only be bought out with the NMC, correct?

I hated that contract at the time, now I really hate it.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
Bylsma would throw a fit but I'd love to see him put on waivers. Don't think he would clear. He's still more talented than half the league at his age.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
You don't waive a workhorse like Brian "the franchise" Gionta. Devils would claim

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
whom would his salary be spent on tomorrow?
What purpose would it serve to waive him?
Who is he keeping from playing in the NHL for Buffalo?
How would buffalo be objectively better without him?
Would waiving him come with guaranteed zero future detriment to signing other vet UFAs?

The premise makes no sense to me and therefore merits no direct answer to the question.

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
I think Gionta is finished enough now to where he's a detriment for this team. He's highly paid, playing tons of minutes, I have to think some people in the organization aren't pleased with him, which of course they can't admit to.

Realistically, he's not getting waived. He becomes limited NTC after this year, that's when the decision will be made.

I would definitely like his $4.25M off the books next year. They don't have tons of cap room now.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Gionta has an NMC this year, but only a limited NTC next year. So after this season, he could be moved or even sent to Rochester.

But let's remember the number one biggest reason he was brought in wasn't for any on-ice contributions. It was for leadership within the room. If he is a positive influence on the kids inside the room, and he's not causing us cap trouble (which he isn't, since we still have plenty of room), then he could still be an asset, even if his play isn't helping win games on the ice.

Unfortunately there's no way for the fanbase to judge that without being in the locker room ourselves (unless anonymous quotes start surfacing). It would be pure conjecture, likely defined by what your opinion of Gionta already was.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
I'd actually be fine if Gionta had a limited 3rd line role. He could provide leadership and could play on the PK. We aren't in dire need of cap space, so his contract isn't really an issue

The problem is playing 20+ minutes a night when he contributes next to nothing offensively. Like, WTF is Bylsma thinking?

As for the original question, no I don't think he would be picked up. If he was on the last year of his deal he might, but not one more season after this one at over $4 million.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
a reporter should really ask why Gionta is still on the top line. Why don't they??

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
The usage is the issue... He is playing as well as many/most of the team at ES and has a role on this team on the PK. The concern I have is he has been getting PP time from the start of the year without adding a considerable amount of value. Secondly, seems guys like Sam, Girgs and Lars might be able to do more with the ice time. In conclusion, play him a little less at ES and a lot less on PP = 14 - 15 minutes a game

Sabres Dynasty

Apr 11, 2015
I'd actually be fine if Gionta had a limited 3rd line role. He could provide leadership and could play on the PK. We aren't in dire need of cap space, so his contract isn't really an issue

The problem is playing 20+ minutes a night when he contributes next to nothing offensively. Like, WTF is Bylsma thinking?

As for the original question, no I don't think he would be picked up. If he was on the last year of his deal he might, but not one more season after this one at over $4 million.

Agreed. If I remember correctly, even Nolan was running him on the 3rd line last year.

I don't think he would be picked up either.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
No one would claim him. He's barely talented at this point to play on a bottom feeders 4th line.

Okay....the outcry isn't about him being bad it's about how much ice time he gets vs what we think he should be playing. If there was a question about him being on this team there would be more criticisms towards Murray than Dan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad