OT: Would a NBA team succeed in Montreal?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I keep telling everyone..

We may not have a football stadium
Or a baseball stadium..

But we could have a GREAT basketball arena if they just gave us a chance
We HAVE the venue lol
I love Silver mentioning it
And I looooove that we reached out!
Make it happen! (Before LBJ retires sigh lol)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'm really skeptical, due to the fact the NBA season is pretty much simultaneous with the NHL season, meaning some serious struggles to get media attention.

But if the Habs continue to price themselves out of its customer base...

George Lebay

Feb 17, 2012
Laval
Capture d’écran, le 2023-11-14 à 09.36.56.png

I wonder what would be the name of the franchise. In the meantime, here's a suggestion for a mascot..

• Haha
Reactions: Dach Vader

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
All the negative comments in here are pretty much bang on. Think it sucks with Montreal being on NT lists or Quebecois who don't want to play in Montreal in hockey ? That would be nothing compared to the NBA guys and having to listen to them talk about Montreal like it's 3rd world , how they can't understand what people are saying, the food is weird and it's like living in another country. And they wont sign.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Any word on who is the group from Montreal that reached out to the nba?

Vancouver has been mentioned for a few years now, but the group linked to that has been the aquilini family which owns the Canucks, and I think they had a problem with the price tag back then, and it isn't any cheaper today.

There is money in bc to own one, but for example, the guy who has traditionally been the richest guy in BC is like 95 years old now and he has never invested in a pro sports team.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
All the negative comments in here are pretty much bang on. Think it sucks with Montreal being on NT lists or Quebecois who don't want to play in Montreal in hockey ? That would be nothing compared to the NBA guys and having to listen to them talk about Montreal like it's 3rd world , how they can't understand what people are saying, the food is weird and it's like living in another country. And they wont sign.

This is true to a certain extent, but it definitely holds less true today than it did in the 90s. The nba is much more culturally sophisticated now, with the explosion of international talent.

I don't expect Montreal to be a free agent paradise, but few cities are, and it's increasingly possible to build a competitive team outside of a major American metropolis.

Reactions: Redux91

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Looking at Ticketmaster for the Raptors it seem center court tickets are extremely expensive like $500~800 but everywhere else is cheap like $75.

Vancouver/Mexico are obviously much bigger markets for the NBA.

I saw a documentary about the Euro wave hitting the league right now. It's like the NHL in the 90s.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Looking at Ticketmaster for the Raptors it seem center court tickets are extremely expensive like $500~800 but everywhere else is cheap like $75.

Vancouver/Mexico are obviously much bigger markets for the NBA.

I saw a documentary about the Euro wave hitting the league right now. It's like the NHL in the 90s.

I think it's questionable whether Vancouver is a bigger market than Montreal. Certainly from a straight up population standpoint, Montreal is a bigger market.

But Vancouver is a legacy market, and I don't think they were given a fair shake the first time around. For example, the league had a rule where the Grizzlies were not allowed to pick 1st overall for the first five years of their existence. Imagine the course of history if the Grizzlies were able to draft tim Duncan first overall, for example. Of course, this is all sentimental talk, and means nothing from a dollars and cents point of view, which is ultimately what matters.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
This is true to a certain extent, but it definitely holds less true today than it did in the 90s. The nba is much more culturally sophisticated now, with the explosion of international talent.

I don't expect Montreal to be a free agent paradise, but few cities are, and it's increasingly possible to build a competitive team outside of a major American metropolis.

You are correct on the international players, but the Americans are certainly not culturally sophisticated and that's where we have the problem.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm really skeptical, due to the fact the NBA season is pretty much simultaneous with the NHL season, meaning some serious struggles to get media attention.

I think a lot of Montrealers 30 and under would be way more into a basketball team than the Habs. It's hard to understate how much apathy/lack of interest there is towards the Canadiens by people my age.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The Habs sure could use some competition for fans $$$$$$$
Would be great to see an NBA team in Montreal, but who has the deep pockets to get it going?
Using the Bell Centre shouldn't be too hard to pull off, the Celtics and Bruins do so..............

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I think a lot of Montrealers 30 and under would be way more into a basketball team than the Habs. It's hard to understate how much apathy/lack of interest there is towards the Canadiens by people my age.

In the late '90s Canada stepped up to revitalize the state of hockey in this country with their little Open Ice Summit that helped mandate skills development, etc, etc. The time has long since come for the country to step up again to hold a serious discussion on the actual future of the game in Canada.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Would be great to see an NBA team in Montreal, but who has the deep pockets to get it going?
Using the Bell Centre shouldn't be too hard to pull off, the Celtics and Bruins do so..............
I don't think it would be too hard to find investors; the NBA is so profitable these days and a quick market study would ensure the feasibility of the project. There are many billionaires in Québec. I also think Montréal would easily be able to fill seats and there is no need to build a stadium.
Yeah, someone's going to have to explain to me how Vancouver is a bigger market than Montreal. Because of China?
Maybe their history of having an NBA team has an influence, but I also don't see how Vancouver is a better market than us. I feel like basketball is more popular around here than it is in Western Canada.

jdc24

Feb 13, 2019

Bell Centre wasn't designed for basketball. In other arenas the lower bowl seats retract right down to the floor.... BC has temporary stands of seats right over the hockey rink on the ends. Probably wouldnt fly for an NBA team permanently because it leaves alot of $$$$ on the table for lower bowl seats.

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Bell_Centre_Basketball_Game.JPG
    Bell_Centre_Basketball_Game.JPG
    364.1 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad