Would 3rd straight Pens win over Caps make playoff format changes inevitable?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
What's it have to do with Pittsburgh?

Honestly - the league did it this way to create rivalries. Arguably the *ONLY* rivalry that's come out of this playoff format so far has been Washington/Pitt. As far as the league is concerned that's a success. Just because Pitt won the first 2 (and would again this year in your hypothetical) doesn't mean it's something bad.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
New playoff format is boring and predictable. Doesn't give variety.

I know the NHL wants to create "rivalries" in the playoffs, but lacking variety from year to year is boring.... especially if your team isn't in it. Seeing the same 2 teams every year must be such a turnoff for neutral fans.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What's it have to do with Pittsburgh?
Because when Gretzky broke the league, the league stepped in and introduced rule changes. Best 2 teams meeting by round 2 is bad format but Penguins are also breaking the league right now.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tampa
New Jersey

Boston
Columbus

Washington
Philadelphia

Toronto
Pittsburgh

^ Round 1 would have been the first round if only based only points. That looks pretty exciting with some fresh match ups. Though Pittsburgh and Washington still potentially would have played in the second round haha

cneely

Jan 6, 2005

I know the NHL wants to create "rivalries" in the playoffs, but lacking variety from year to year is boring.... especially if your team isn't in it. Seeing the same 2 teams every year must be such a turnoff for neutral fans.
Actually, I couldn’t disagree more. Those Stars Oilers battles in the late 90’s were incredible. Wings Avs, Etc...

Reactions: easton117

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
You cannot change a format based on an examples of 1 matchup which one of the teams wins.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Because when Gretzky broke the league, the league stepped in and introduced rule changes. Best 2 teams meeting by round 2 is bad format but Penguins are also breaking the league right now.

Last year maybe. This year? This year Tampa and Boston are both above Pitt and Wash in standings. So are a few West teams. If anything Pitt/Washington have it easy by not having to play Boston or Tampa in round 2, and it's more unfair for Boston/Tampa if they match up in round 2. Same idea for Winnipeg/Nashville in east, while vegas gets to play San Jose

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
No.

And quite frankly, this is getting a little silly. GOOD TEAMS WILL MEET IN THE PLAYOFFS.

"Two good teams are meeting in the Stanley Cup final. Will league change format?"

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

:huh: There have been 38 playoff series so far over the past three seasons. Only 2 of those were rematches of a previous playoff series.

2016 - Anaheim/Nashville in the 1st round, then 2017 Anaheim/Nashville in the WCF.
2016 - Pitt/Washington in the 2nd round, then 2017 Pitt/Washington in the 2nd round.

We might see Pitt/Washington again this year. All the other 2nd round series will be different. Only possible final 4 repeats are SJ/Nashville and Pitt/Nashville.

Other then Pitt vs Washington all we've seen is playoff variety in recent years.

Alexei Yashvalev

Nov 15, 2006
Victoria B.C.
No.

And quite frankly, this is getting a little silly. GOOD TEAMS WILL MEET IN THE PLAYOFFS.

"Two good teams are meeting in the Stanley Cup final. Will league change format?"

The complaint has always been they meet too early now so finishing higher in the regular season is often not rewarded or worth it.

I would like 1v8 2v7, 3v6, 4v5 reseed after each round ignore divisions entirely.

Reactions: domaug

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I could only wish. It sucks knowing we'd be facing Boston or Toronto for weeks now should we have won against the Devils. The playoffs were fun because of unpredictability. But now I can set my watch to it

Reactions: illpucks

LeafsFanHere

Nov 16, 2017
1v8 2v7 3v6 4v5 was much more entertaining and interesting in my opinion. I personally would go even further and have 1-16, that way you could have the Leafs vs Habs for a the Cup or the Pens vs Caps, etc etc. I could care less about "rivalries". Rivalries aren't the same in this day and age when teams rosters change so much every year.

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

who_me?

Oct 7, 2003
Lol Caps aren’t a very good team. The team is built so Ovechkin can win personal, regular season trophies.
Format is fine as-is, and exposes the Caps for the frauds they are.

Reactions: canadianguy77

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The format is going to change regardless soon after Seattle comes in. Most likely 3 divisions each conference with the top 2 from each advancing and 2 wildcards. I’m guessing they would probably end up going back to 1-8 after that. I can’t imagine you’re just gonna have the top 2 in each division face off

icon6668

Jul 22, 2012
I still think have the 82 game season using the current format (more games v division, less v same conference and even less vs other conference) as it makes sense for travel and local TV etc, but playoffs should be top 16 and 1v16, 2v15 etc and play every second day.

I don't give a rats about division rivalries in the playoffs, I just want to see the best team play in the final, you could technically have 1,2,3 and 4 in the semis and 1,2 in the final where with the current format its almost impossible to have that happen.

Also, currently the team that win each conference, most of them don't want that trophy anyway and refuse to touch it!

Reactions: Kuzya daddy

thejaf7

Mar 21, 2010
I would like to see a true 1-16 bracket. More. Variety, different matchups.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I might be crazy, but my hunch is the Caps win this time (should they beat the Jackets).

I'll have whatever this guy is smokin'.

giphy.gif

Merc29

Sid ney Cr os by
Jul 3, 2006
Minot, ND
Why does every cry when two good teams in the second round of the playoffs? Who cares!? Let’s be happy they’re playing. This format (though not absolutly perfect) ensures that we see rivalry’s play each other. If this format doesn’t exist. Maybe we don’t see the Pens and caps play at all which isn’t good for business

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad